You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 crashes when editing a URL in a hyperlink

SarahB

I need to edit the URL in hyperlinks in several documents (client gave me wrong domain name for their new website). Doing so, following the steps below, causes V2 to crash every time, in different documents. All the affected documents were created in V2.

• right-click on hyperlinked text
  • select 'Edit hyperlink'
  • edit the URL
  • click OK

I'm having to delete all the existing hyperlinks and re-insert them. I'm using Catalina.

Hi, I can't duplicate this on Ventura with an M1 Pro.

Is there anything unusual about the URLs? Any special characters beyond alphanumeric and forward slashes?

Can you duplicate the problem with a new document and https://www.google.com?

I once wrote a URL batch convert script for MS Word to do what you're doing so someday when Affinity has scripting I'll write one like it for Affinity. It could convert the domains or convert specific URLs in a table to new URLs. We used it to batch convert all the documents on a large corporate intranet.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

7 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Hi, I can't duplicate this on Ventura with an M1 Pro.

Is there anything unusual about the URLs? Any special characters beyond alphanumeric and forward slashes?

Can you duplicate the problem with a new document and https://www.google.com?

I once wrote a URL batch convert script for MS Word to do what you're doing so someday when Affinity has scripting I'll write one like it for Affinity. It could convert the domains or convert specific URLs in a table to new URLs. We used it to batch convert all the documents on a large corporate intranet.

No special characters in the URLs I am trying to edit. I don't have the same problem in a new document and https://www.google.com. I've also created a brand new document based on the template I'm using, added the Google address to a hyperlink and no problems with that either. It just seems to be a problem with the existing documents.

I have duplicated the bug now - the text frame has to be on the master page. Crash report attached.

1. Create a new document
  2. Draw a text frame on the master
  3. Type a word into the frame on page 1
  4. Link the word to something - I used http://www.google.com
  5. Right click the word and choose Edit Hyperlink. Change it to something - I used http://www.apple.com
  6. Crashes when you click OK

Affinity Publisher 2-2022-12-06-093854.ips

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

So a possible workaround for you for now:

1. Create a new page at the end of the document
  2. Ignore the frame(s) on that page created from the master and draw an empty frame on that page
  3. Go to the page with the first story (linked series of frames) containing hyperlinks you need to edit
  4. Select all the text in the story and then copy it to the clipboard
  5. Go to the last page with the empty frame and paste the clipboard into the empty frame
  6. Shift+click the red overset icon at the bottom right of the frame to create more pages
  7. Edit all the hyperlinks
  8. Copy and paste that back over the original story. Repeat for each story.
  9. Delete the extra pages from the end of the document

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

I have duplicated the bug now - the text frame has to be on the master page. Crash report attached.

1. Create a new document
  2. Draw a text frame on the master
  3. Type a word into the frame on page 1
  4. Link the word to something - I used http://www.google.com
  5. Right click the word and choose Edit Hyperlink. Change it to something - I used http://www.apple.com
  6. Crashes when you click OK

Affinity Publisher 2-2022-12-06-093854.ips 32.93 kB · 0 downloads

Great, nice to know that I'm not going crazy! Do I need to do something with the crash report or are we hoping that someone from Affinity will see it? I haven't had much response with bugs I've reported in the past.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

So a possible workaround for you for now:

1. Create a new page at the end of the document
  2. Ignore the frame(s) on that page created from the master and draw an empty frame on that page
  3. Go to the page with the first story (linked series of frames) containing hyperlinks you need to edit
  4. Select all the text in the story and then copy it to the clipboard
  5. Go to the last page with the empty frame and paste the clipboard into the empty frame
  6. Shift+click the red overset icon at the bottom right of the frame to create more pages
  7. Edit all the hyperlinks
  8. Copy and paste that back over the original story. Repeat for each story.
  9. Delete the extra pages from the end of the document

Thank you for this. Fortunately there weren't too many of them so I deleted and reinserted, but this will be handy for when the documents have the inevitable updates.

4 hours ago, SarahB said:

Great, nice to know that I'm not going crazy! Do I need to do something with the crash report or are we hoping that someone from Affinity will see it? I haven't had much response with bugs I've reported in the past.

Serif will see this and will have the steps and crash report so they should have enough information now. There's nothing more you need to do.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using that build we believe this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon