You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad V2 Designer: can’t see Designer-made illustration’s layers while in Publisher layout / Designer Persona

If I have an illustration created in Affinity Designer, and Placed (embedded) into an Afpub layout, then choose Designer Persona, shouldn’t I get the illustration’s layers as well as Designer’s toolset? It isn’t happening for me in the file seen in the video. Maybe I don’t clearly get what’s possible in Publisher.

6 hours ago, VectorCat said:

If I have an illustration created in Affinity Designer, and Placed (embedded) into an Afpub layout, then choose Designer Persona, shouldn’t I get the illustration’s layers as well as Designer’s toolset?

No, because it is an Embedded document, and it doesn't matter that you're in the Designer Persona. You're still in the original document (.afpub) file, and you need to edit the embedded document if you want to see its layers. Otherwise, it's kind of a black-box container, and you can see what it looks like but can't see the details.

In the Layers panel, double-tap on the thumbnail for that document, and you should then be editing it (at least for embedded files). When you're done editing, tap the "return to home screen button in the upper left to get back to the parent document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Good to know, and thank you.

I just converted the image to Linked (per the help file) but switching to Designer persona still doesn’t reveal the illustration’s layers.

Is there a scenario in which one can edit on layers of a designer (or photo) file while still in the afpub layout?

If so, how is that scenario achieved?

Thank you

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

Is there a scenario in which one can edit on layers of a designer (or photo) file while still in the afpub layout?

No, when you have an embedded or linked document its internal structure is hidden, unless you specifically choose to edit that document. Double-tapping or double-clicking on its thumbnail in the Layers panel will do that in some cases. You will still be in Publisher, and choose the Publisher Persona you want to work in.

Your only other choice would be to copy the layer content from the child document and paste that into the Publisher document.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Your only other choice would be to copy the layer content from the child document and paste that into the Publisher document.

Is there a trick to doing this? I copy layers of the illustration - either singly or multiples at once, but Publisher does not offer Paste.

Do you mean: copy layers - while in Designer, in this case..in the “child” document, then switch to the Publisher app, then Paste?

6 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

Do you mean: copy layers - while in Designer, in this case..in the “child” document, then switch to the Publisher app, then Paste?

Yes. Except, you are not "in Designer" in anything you've described so far. You are in Publisher, but in the Designer Persona. That is still being in Publisher.

So: 

1. double-click on the document layer's thumbnail. It should not matter which Publisher Persona you're in for this. Then you should see all the layers for the child document.
  2. Select them all in the Layers studio, and Copy.
  3. Tap/click the "return to home screen icon", and you'll be back in the parent document.
  4. Paste. Now you should have all those layers in the parent document, too.
  5. Optionally delete the embedded document layer in the Layers studio.

Note: This is with an Embedded document. I have not tried this with a Linked document. Embedded and Linked documents may work differently, and some kind of documents will work differently from others.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Is there a trick to doing this? I copy layers of the illustration - either singly or multiples at once, but Publisher does not offer Paste.

Basically what you need to do is…open Publisher > select Open >  locate your actual .afdesign file from Designer to open (it will open in Publisher as well).

While in Publisher (and Publisher Persona), the .afdesign file you opened will be on the 1st Page….Layers, Groups etc will show in Layers Panel.

Select Designer Persona to continue design edits as needed.

In Publisher Persona (the app itself)…can and may need to Create/Add Masters and Pages, and Edit Properties (layout, Single to Spread etc). Can go to Document Setup to make overall edits.

Note: Image below is an actual .afdesign (Designer) file open Publisher.

339107F6-D861-426F-B1F3-D30F8810F37D.jpeg

So, based on what I believe the procedure is, I opened the Designer file - the green safety knife - in Publisher.

selected the layers of the knife, copied, and pasted into publisher. The order of some layers got muxed up and the line weights of one or two items was gotten wrong / made fatter. Screen capture attached shows the knife - I selected layers of items which out to be in front - highlighted in purple.

Is this a typical for those who’ve done this move?

Thank you

paste into publisher ipad.png.png

17 hours ago, VectorCat said:

So, based on what I believe the procedure is, I opened the Designer file - the green safety knife - in Publisher.

selected the layers of the knife, copied, and pasted into publisher. The order of some layers got muxed up and the line weights of one or two items was gotten wrong / made fatter. Screen capture attached shows the knife - I selected layers of items which out to be in front - highlighted in purple.

Is this a typical for those who’ve done this move?

Thank you

paste into publisher ipad.png.png

No….. just open the .afdesign file (green knife) itself, and just build the Publisher Document…adding Pages/Masters etc… ‘around it’.

Likely will have to Edit the overall Publisher Document as a whole if wanting specifics, as you are starting at a very Basic Pub Doc…but at least have the complete Layers version of the .afdesign file within and editable through Persona switching. 
BUT…if needing/wanting to add even another Designer file to , then I’m afraid you are back to Image Only placement.