You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add a modifier key + drag to clip an object onto a layer/into a picture frame within the Document view instead of the layer panel

Would you please implement a shortcut function which can quickly put an object into a picture frame or clip it onto a layer within the Document view (canvas/artboard) instead of through the layer panel? (i.e. holding modifier key(s)(or right mouse button) + drag an object onto another object on the canvas/artboard) Because I remember when I used CorelDraw a decade age, they can let me drag an object into a picture frame while holding the Alt key. Which is intuitive and quick.
Think about it - while I have a hundred of layers, if I want to put an object onto a specific layer, I need to search for the mother layer from the long list of layers, from the layer panel, while dragging the child object back and forth. Isn't it much simpler if we can do it within Document view instead? We can also do the alignment at same time. It saves us a step.

Affinity copied Adobe, and didn't look at Freehand, Xara, Fireworks, Corel or any other 2D tool from the past, nor consider their own opinions on what might constitute better workflows.

Many have tried, throughout the life of version 1, to get them to consider work flows of the modern era (anything since the 90's), but they've resolutely persisted being Adobe-Lite products plus an under utilised Persona feature.

IOW: good luck getting them to consider this. Don't hold your breath. 

I support your idea, wholeheartedly, as a lover of Corel often stuck on a Mac without it.

7 hours ago, KarlLegion said:

quickly put an object into a picture frame or clip it onto a layer within the Document view (canvas/artboard)

1. position the object
  2. cut
  3. select target object
  4. Layer > Insertion > Inside (you definitely may want to add a custom shortcut to this command), or click the corresponding main toolbar button
  5. paste
  6. voilà

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Oh, totally forgot this one:

1. position the object
  2. Layer > Arrange > Move Inside 
  3. voilà

The selected object will be moved inside or clipped by the layer/object right below in the layer hierarchy.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1. Layer > Insertion > Inside (you definitely may want to add a custom shortcut to this command), or click the corresponding main toolbar button

Thanks @loukas, I actually knew a faster way and it did have a shortcut to paste inside (Ctrl + Alt + v) but it's not the same thing as my suggestion. Until the improvement, it's my workaround from now.

1. position the object
  2. Layer > Arrange > Move Inside 

I still need to search for both objects from the long list of layer panel😓 and do an extra step to position the child object...

Thanks anyway😉

1 hour ago, KarlLegion said:

paste inside

Right, I forgot about that, too…

• Staff
9 hours ago, KarlLegion said:

Also, Ctrl + Alt +V and move inside can not place an image into a picture frame...

Yes that's a good point - I think actually we should look at making a change so that if you have a single object / image on your clipboard then paste inside / paste with insertion target being inside does place that object within a picture frame if that is what you have selected. i.e. the same as drag drop in layers panel - if you have one object selected and you drop inside a picture frame it places that within the frame. If you have multiple objects to drag into frame then it clips as normal.

Understand the modifier comment and it's a good idea. Most modifiers are used up when you are moving something so have to avoid conflicts here...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

20 minutes ago, Ash said:

Understand the modifier comment and it's a good idea. Most modifiers are used up when you are moving something so have to avoid conflicts here..

Once a user has picked something up to move, and is dragging, can the 'c' key being held down be used as a "modifier" to indicate the user is intending to clip/contain on mouse/touch release - and a frame highlight of that which is being hovered over indicate which object it's going to be inserted within?

52 minutes ago, Ash said:

Most modifiers are used up when you are moving something so have to avoid conflicts here

That was my thought as well. At least, on Mac there's one more modifier to choose from.

• Alt/Option is already reserved to override snapping, and that should remain even in this scenario.
  • Same for Command to clone
  • Same for Shift to constrain

Any of them should be also available when "moving inside".
That leaves us with Ctrl on Mac which is currently unused with the Move tool, but which obviously replaces Cmd on Windows…

A dilemma.

4 hours ago, KarlLegion said:

Right-click

= context menu > Arrange > Move Inside

4 hours ago, KarlLegion said:

left-click drag + right-click hold

Is that some kind of "Windows Finger Ballet"…? :) 

The thing with these "modifiers" is: Not everyone uses a mouse. I haven't used one voluntarily in – literally – decades.
Modifiers should work in most possible hardware scenarios. Incl. trackpads.

2 hours ago, loukash said:

"Windows Finger Ballet"…?

I really laugh 🤣

2 hours ago, loukash said:

Not everyone uses a mouse.

You are right indeed.
I came up this idea because Affinity is actually using "left-click drag + right-click hold" for the node tool, move tool and selection for modified effect. But I think they really can assign right-click to drag. And also "`"  ("~") key is free. It can be held as a modifier.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi - as I suggested on this thread having a modifier on drag to add to a picture frame is slightly problematic, but we have now made it so if you have a picture frame selected paste inside will add the contents of your clipboard to the frame (rather than being clipped by it) which should help. More details in the post below. 

It would be great if you wanted to try it out in the beta and let us know what you think - you can sign up to the beta program here.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2