You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Development Status - Where is Affinity 1.5 Beta?

It is not a rumour: Serif will launch a medical app soon. :D Get well.

I have been dealing with beta withdrawal symptoms for over 2 months now. Everyday I come here hoping that the cats feed my addiction again. I am desperate, internet please help me. What should I do?  :D

As soon as we have tested the 1.4.2 Beta thoroughly it will be uploaded to the App Store and will become the 1.4.2 App Store version. We do not expect this to be a lengthy process, but it will not be immediate as it requires a certain amount of testing before we can responsibly push it as an update.

Once this has happened we will be able to start building from our development branch and produce a 1.5 Beta for you. 

After re-reading this post, I am wasting my time looking for a beta, there will be a MAS release first. THEN a beta. Okay I can do this. *sigh* :(

We used to have an auto-scrolling mechanism in DrawPlus and it never got used because it's so distracting to see the layers panel constantly flicking around as you select objects on the document...

How do you know how/whether people use(d) that feature?

I, for one, would very much like such functionality that it skips to and shows the object selected in the layers panel. It’s just a useless additional step in user interaction having to context-click and click another time to find the object in the panel.

Perhaps make it an option in the general preferences for people to decide whether they want to use it (may even be disabled by default)?

In FreeHand we could Alt-click away and it would select each overlapping object in succession.

Fireworks has a “select behind” tool coupled with the regular select tool (which is confusingly called “Move” tool in AD) which is similar in nature. You click on an object repeatingly and it selects the object behind the currently selected one. Very useful.

• 3 weeks later...

… Five weeks later, I seem to have been proven right yet again and nailed Serif's strategy re the Windows port. So, when can we expect an IPO? ^^

Now, in all seriousness: I will indeed buy Serif stock if you do an IPO. :)

• Staff

… Five weeks later, I seem to have been proven right yet again and nailed Serif's strategy re the Windows port. So, when can we expect an IPO? ^^

Now, in all seriousness: I will indeed buy Serif stock if you do an IPO. :)

...and I managed to bite my tongue all that time too! ;)

...and I managed to bite my tongue all that time too! ;)

Ahahaha I also wondered about that, too, immediately after the official announcement… ^^ You, sir, are a great captain, as the ship didn't leak from the top at all. ;)

• Staff

(I tried to post this last night, but the forum only allows a maximum of 20MB per upload, so I had to wait until this morning to upload to Dropbox)

We've been changing a lot of things behind the scenes to enable some of the new features, so 1.5 has taken longer than we wanted, but here is a look at one of the features that should be in beta really soon: Symbols.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwwxl1w4wlo4iyp/symbols.mov?dl=0

Note that I was able to make edits to all or just one symbol by turning off Symbol-syncing momentarily and that I can detach certain aspects of each symbol, for example I can detach colour (change the colour of just one instance of the symbol) but leave the other attributes (line style, transform, etc) connected. Similarly I can add to/delete from all symbols or just one symbol in the same manner, turn on Symbol-syncing and then add to them all in the correct z-order whether or not the object I'm inserting relative-to even existed in the other instances of the symbol.

Basically, we've done Symbols... but better... and all in realtime, of course... ;)

Sorry you're having to wait for these developments, but the reality is that until we've completed each feature and are happy with it, we won't turn it on, so all you'd see in 1.5 is a few minor extras despite such a huge amount being different behind the scenes, so we really couldn't release it until the features were complete enough to turn on. I'm expecting maybe 2 weeks for a 1.5 beta, roughly?...

Thanks,

Matt

[Edited to add: I just checked and it's not quite 7 weeks since I posted this thread to make everyone aware that there was going to be a delay before we could bring you 1.5... Myself and the rest of the guys have been typing feverishly all day, then every evening and at the weekends too in order to get as far as we have in that time, so it's not that we aren't trying hard to bring you things as fast as possible - the first version of Designer was nearly 4 years in the making, so things just take time! ;) We're super-excited about bringing new features to you (and us, because we use the software all the time too!) so we'll get it done asap - but we can't sacrifice quality just to release sooner...]

I'm completely agree with you Matt.

Maybe is your fault because Affinity team is getting used everybody to have new releases every week...  ;)

Your software is really one of the few that I really want to used.

My main job since many years ago is make wiring diagrams, manuals, etc... That new sync symbol feature for me is amazing... 

Honestly guys GOOD JOB!!!

So Matt, a question on a real world use case.

If I were to create a button that says "Submit" for example. I could add a duplicate, detach the text and update it?

Also how deep does this attribute based stuff go. In the same example, say my button has rounded corners. I have created two and the second is wider than the first to accommodate my new button text. Could I then update the corner radius on both?

Also, do you see a future where you could nest symbols inside other symbols? This has been a common sketch request for some time and for a while (I think they killed it) you could do it in the beta.

• Staff

So Matt, a question on a real world use case.

If I were to create a button that says "Submit" for example. I could add a duplicate, detach the text and update it?

Also how deep does this attribute based stuff go. In the same example, say my button has rounded corners. I have created two and the second is wider than the first to accommodate my new button text. Could I then update the corner radius on both?

Also, do you see a future where you could nest symbols inside other symbols? This has been a common sketch request for some time and for a while (I think they killed it) you could do it in the beta.

Attributes at the moment are not necessarily split into the best groups they could be, and we can tweak that over time, but in your example, 'yes' you could adjust the radius of one button's rounded corners and it affect all the others even if you'd changed the transform of one of them detached and/or its colour, blend mode etc...

Nested symbols work. We want this same technology to be flexible enough to use as the best Master Page feature in any publishing application and that requires being able to use symbols within symbols.

Is there going to be a visual on the UI or in the layers panel that shows the item is indeed a symbol? Just to keep track if anything else. I know in AI there is the unbreakable bounding box indicating this.

We will see it in some weeks and it will be a better solution. Do you think we can or should discuss/ask for something we cannot try until it is released?

• Staff

You can actually spot it in the video - a little orange marker starts to appear next to the symbol in the Layers panel. When expanded, you'll see it running down the side of everything linked in this symbol. A partially-linked object is denoted by a dotted line through that item's orange highlight, and the absence of an orange highlight means it's completely detached. It looks pretty good in practice... :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.