You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Development Status - Where is Affinity 1.5 Beta?

What I hate in AD : selecting objects is not effective enough. It's my main waste of time.

This has come to be my main difficulty with AD the more I use it. Simple compositions are never a problem, but the more groups and nested layers I have, the more it feels like I'm searching around in the dark with a flashlight when I try to select objects. 

Adobe's isolation mode and breadcrumb is a huge help, and feels like a room full of floodlights compared to AD's flashlight. I'm not saying AD should necessarily copy this exact functionality, but it's one solution to something AD doesn't really have a solution for yet.

• Staff

This has come to be my main difficulty with AD the more I use it. Simple compositions are never a problem, but the more groups and nested layers I have, the more it feels like I'm searching around in the dark with a flashlight when I try to select objects. 

Adobe's isolation mode and breadcrumb is a huge help, and feels like a room full of floodlights compared to AD's flashlight. I'm not saying AD should necessarily copy this exact functionality, but it's one solution to something AD doesn't really have a solution for yet.

Did you know that if you option-click an item in the Layers panel that it enters a solo/isolation mode for that object? But then, if you were near the Layers panel at the time you could just directly click the object you're after anyway, I suppose...

Did you know that if you option-click an item in the Layers panel that it enters a solo/isolation mode for that object? But then, if you were near the Layers panel at the time you could just directly click the object you're after anyway, I suppose...

That is a helpful feature! Unfortunately, it's really only useful if you have the intended layer drilled down and scrolled to in the panel – which in a document with a lot of nested groups, can be tedious. I have a suggestion here that I think would be a huge improvement: Auto-drill and auto-scroll to the current selection in the layers panel.

Hi Clayton,

You can press and hold ⌘ (cmd) while clicking the object you want on canvas to select it, no matter where the object is located in the layers hierarchy.

This works great for selecting a single shape, but half the time, that's not quite what I want to do – I want to select a group within a group (perhaps several layers deep) and transform that, rather than edit the individual paths contained in that group.

Imagine you have an illustration of a street with several cars on it and you want to resize the hubcaps on one of the cars. The hubcap is in a group with the wheel, which is in a group with the exterior of the car, which is in a group with the exterior, interior, and driver. You can double-click a few times to get down to the hubcap, but if you go too far and get to the shine on the hubcap, you have to start over from the top. You can use ⌘-click to get to the shine, but there's no way to quickly jump to the hubcap.

I think auto-jump on the layers panel would go a long way toward solving this as well.

• Staff

That is a helpful feature! Unfortunately, it's really only useful if you have the intended layer drilled down and scrolled to in the panel – which in a document with a lot of nested groups, can be tedious. I have a suggestion here that I think would be a huge improvement: Auto-drill and auto-scroll to the current selection in the layers panel.

You can also right-click the item on the document and choose 'Find in Layers Panel' and it will auto-expand and scroll the layers panel to reveal the current item. We used to have an auto-scrolling mechanism in DrawPlus and it never got used because it's so distracting to see the layers panel constantly flicking around as you select objects on the document...

Also, if you Cmd+Right-click the document it will show you a context menu that shows you what's under the current mouse position and allow you to expand it out to hit the thing you wanted to hit without any additional steps. (Although I've just been trying this on a number of documents and it appears to have a bug that's limiting me to only seeing the current layer - even if 'select all layers' is enabled on the Layers panel - I'll get that fixed)

You can also right-click the item on the document and choose 'Find in Layers Panel' and it will auto-expand and scroll the layers panel to reveal the current item.

Is it possible to place the found item on top or somehow in the middle of the layers' list?

Currently it scrolls until spots the selected layer and stops, so it is always the last layer of the list and you have to scroll further in order to see (for example) nested ones.

Well at least if this makes sense... :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Holy bleep Matt, I didn't know this!   :) How did I not know this? Is this new?

One suggestion or improvement might be in the main window to just right click on an element to access isolation mode/un-isolation, that way you don't have to go digging through the layers palette...  ;)

edit - one funny thing... I entered isolation mode on an element and when I went to edit it it exited isolation the moment I clicked on a node...

In cinema4d, we have an easy way to select objects : ctrl+maj+click on objects.

Each object under the click is listed. The list is organized on top the near objects, and at the end the far objects.

This is really a great feature in Cinema 4D.

I have been using Cinema 4D since version 5.6 and I think it has always been there.

In FreeHand we could Alt-click away and it would select each overlapping object in succession.

The Cinema 4D way is faster but requires that each object/layer is properly named.

A huge help would be to include the thumbnail in the list.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.