You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Development Status - Where is Affinity 1.5 Beta?

Hi andyajon,

It should be out by the end of this month if everything goes well.

Wow, can't wait. This really made my day.

Anyways MEB, can you provide a little insight on the next features to be implemented in 1.5?  :)

Feature parity between platforms is pretty much required for any good marketing strategy.

The features are all there in the common core. The only reason why we wouldn't get feature parity between platforms is because the developers slipped up and forgot to provide access to something via the OS-specific UI design.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The features are all there in the common core. The only reason why we wouldn't get feature parity between platforms is because the developers slipped up and forgot to provide access to something via the OS-specific UI design.

Indeed.

I was basically speculating on the apparent delay in the 1.5 beta for OS X (although it may not be delayed at all). If the beta for both platforms are released at the same time and have the same versioning, then it suggests to me a conscious effort to align the feature set (which only makes sense).

I work professionally on the Windows platform (using the Adobe CC design products), but my home machine is an iMac. Having seen many products over the years get released for the Windows platform, the sheer number of users who would potentially want to try the Windows beta will most likely have a lot to say regarding how they feel about the app. If I were in the marketing team, I would certainly be aware of the potential backlash for any differences if the users felt it was somehow not inline with the 'other' platform's version. Especially if in an environment where users want to test the cross-platform functionality.

No real concerns here, as these are new to the market and have shown a great (in my opinion) use of the current modern OS architecture. The performance is pretty much unparalleled at the moment. I hope to see some improvements in the current tools and some additional tools, but no worries if it takes a little time.  :P

So, if problem with Magic Mouse panning would be solved at last in 1.5? :)

I suggest a standard wired mouse. I hate the magic mouse with the panning of my view when I inadvertently do it. So annoying. At home I have simple mouse and of course no panning problems there.

I suggest a standard wired mouse. I hate the magic mouse with the panning of my view when I inadvertently do it. So annoying. At home I have simple mouse and of course no panning problems there.

And i just dont use mouse at all, i have wacoms everywhere  :D

Follow me on Dribbble

https://dribbble.com/g-avoyan

I am really happy with Apples Magic Trackpad and am planning to use the iOS version for drawing (brand new iPad Pro 9.7 with pencil  —  hurray), as soon as it comes out.

Super excited about the new beta news! The UI-focused features look fantastic.

On the Magic Mouse panning issue, since it was mentioned—I find a Wacom great for drawing and painting, but not precise enough for vector work—I picked up an Amazon basics wireless mouse for the latter and I've noticed all panning issues are gone, and the mouse is much more comfy anyway. :)

• Staff

Wow, can't wait. This really made my day.

Anyways MEB, can you provide a little insight on the next features to be implemented in 1.5?  :)

Hi andyajon,

Sorry the delay replying. There will be various improvements for those working with UI/UX: Contraints & Symbols (symbols sneak peek), improvements to Export Persona, and quite a few improvements in various areas. There's still a few more things but i'm not the most suited person to disclose them.

https://vimeo.com/169816724 official UI-stuff preview for AD

"MAS release in about two months"

Want to see more stuff. This is not enough to compensate for like 5-6 months of no real updates :P

Want to see AP beta 1.5 stuff as well ;)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Great news. Can't wait for the 1.5 beta/update!

The speed/frequency of the updates are just fine with me. See, this allows me to really drill down and get comfy with how AD works without a bunch of new features/adjustments being constantly thrown in the mix. In fact, imho, it makes the updates even better when spaced out -- allows me to truly appreciate them and work with them much better.. As a former Update Junkie, I understand the rush one gets when a new update is released, but time and maturity has shown me that updates happen when they do and there is no schedule nor compensation for time between updates. To expect X amount of updates in Y amount of time may be great fodder for a Dilbert cartoon, but it has no real place in reality. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Just want some text align improvement. The actual AD is a pain do align a text inside a object because the alignment is based on the frame and not the text itself

Can you provide more detail? I just tried placing text inside a shape and the text alignment works as it should unless you can provide screenshots of what you are attempting to do in AD.

Can you provide more detail? I just tried placing text inside a shape and the text alignment works as it should unless you can provide screenshots of what you are attempting to do in AD.

I noticed the same thing as he did. If I convert the text to curves and compare the alignment to same object, it is definitely different. Depending on the text size it can be quite a lot.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

I noticed the same thing as he did. If I convert the text to curves and compare the alignment to same object, it is definitely different. Depending on the text size it can be quite a lot.

Yep. AD calculates alignment using text cage I guess... 

Waiting for some magic from devs I use this fix/hack that seems works pretty fine for Art Text:

baseline = - (fontSize/10)

So for a font size of 14pt, with a baseline of -1.4pt you have a better visual alignment.

text_alignment.jpg

From left to right:

1) Art Text aligned vertically to its container (as you can notice it is shifted)

2) The same text converted to outlines (perfect)

3) My hack applied to the same text field you can see in the first button

Not as pixel perfect as the outline one, but for mockups it works.

With Frame Text Tool you have to deal with it manually...

So maybe it is better to slightly shift it from calculated alignment.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

And don’t forget to to calculate the horizontal alignment of the third button, paolo.limoncelli. ;-) With 1.5 we’ll get more variables …

Would be a big surprise if we get working text snapping, optical character alignment, hanging punctuation, …

a bit like the beginning of DTP :-(

Please, add more shapes : spiral, sinusoid, rectangular grid have my priority. I still create them with Illustrator.

Brushes must be improved. Results are not perfect. I often lose a lot of time. 

post-395-0-44350800-1465682435_thumb.png

A illustrator brush :

We need a vector draw without gradients but the shape stay exact although the size of the circle. Diamond can have a superposition but distribution is in general better.

post-395-0-77957300-1465682874_thumb.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.