You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher wish: Easy way to identify used images, files

I wish for some relief for a dull work!

I create photo books with the publisher. I do this by going through my image collection and copying the best photos I could use into a folder. But in the end I only use a quarter of the pictures.

Once the book is printed, I archive the publisher files, the PDF for printing, and the folder containing the images used. But I have to sort out the unused pictures first.

This work is very annoying:
I take the resource list, click "Show in Finder" for each image used and color-code the image. With 200 or more images, this takes more than an hour. Then all unmarked images will be deleted and then the image folder can finally be archived.

Is there a smarter faster solution for this?

You could try opening the file then selecting File > Save as Package

Or

To collect images | Linked files: View > Resource manager (Select the files [lined or embedded]) and select 'Collect'
Source a folder (Should acquire all selected images in resources into a selected | chosen folder)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Hi Stuart. If you use File > Save As Package you can create a new folder that contains the document and all of the images linked in it. That will help you find out which ones are used in the document.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks for your tips.
After I wrote down my frustration here, I thought again and looked at the functions in the resources.
I used the help for the "collect resources" function and found the solution there. I copied all the images used into a folder and then archived it.
There is already a solution to my problem. Now I have found her. Many Thanks!!!

This is something that it would be nice Publisher did in a slightly different way compared to InDesign. Unless I've not found it, being able to export a text document with a list of the linked data is something long overdue on the other program.

Paolo