You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with a particular font

I'm having trouble with a specific font in Publisher 2. This is the font: https://www.1001freefonts.com/sf-cartoonist-hand.font (I have the commercia license, but it's free for personal use if someone wants to test it out.)
The capital letters T and P will not work unless I paste them in from another document. This doesn't happen in Designer 2 or Photo 2. Another issue I have is when I export a document in publisher, the ! (exclamation mark) in that font doesn't show up in the PDF, even though I tell it to embed all fonts. My current workaround is to export the text as curves, but I'd like to keep the document text searchable, so I'm hoping to be able to figure out what's going on. I don't have any issues with this font in any of my other programs or the other Affinity programs, either.

This particular font is important and used throughout all my products, so I can't just change it to something else. I'm attaching a page from a PDF export to show how the exclamation marks aren't showing up (there should be one after the sentence "Make sure to print out the vocabulary cards if you want to use them, though!" and "You can color these images while listening to an audio book or when you need to de-stress an relax!". I've also extracted the example page if someone wants to see it in Publisher.

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

page extract.pdf font test.afpub

35 minutes ago, guesthollow said:

The capital letters T and P will not work

Can you explain a bit about that? In what way don't they work? A screenshot might help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you explain a bit about that? In what way don't they work? A screenshot might help.

image.jpeg.f72c06cb04dfa76114f2570e19064251.jpegWhen I go to type in a capital T (as I did here) the cursor goes to a smaller size and doesn't type in the letter at all. However, if I start a sentence with a small letter t, and then type in a space, a lower case t will automatically turn into a capital T. It just won't type in a capital T or capital P wherever I want it to. Instead the cursor changes to a smaller font size (9 pt vs. 14 pt which is my default right now) and won't type the T or P at all. The screenshot is showing what happened. I held shift and typed a t and the cursor got smaller and there is no letter. It refuses to type a capital T or P in that font (unless I paste it in from a diff. document - then it will show up just fine).
I hope I'm making sense! Let me know if you need more details. 

Within your document I can type T & P with no problem, I wonder, have you set any character styles or paragraph styles?

1933245085_Screenshot2022-12-05at22_20_32.png.26a37ba4e086cb11c621733a170b201d.png

Turn on View special characters from the Text menu.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just noticed this...

923506387_Screenshot2022-12-05at22_23_20.thumb.png.9b1834bde51b3fd5c1add94a274d1695.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Within your document I can type T & P with no problem, I wonder, have you set any character styles or paragraph styles?

Turn on View special characters from the Text menu.

Thanks for checking!  I turned on view special characters. I can see my paragraph marks, etc. but that doesn't do anything to fix it nor does it change what happens when I type those two letters. I checked character and paragraph styles and don't have anything special turned on. As for the 9pt paragraph mark, yes, I get that when I try to type those letters (but for me the letters don't show up at all). I really appreciate you taking a look. :-) 

Was just trying to find a way to get a similar issue to you but try as I might I cannot, not type TP

font test changed layout just for fun.afpub

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Was just trying to find a way to get a similar issue to you but try as I might I cannot, not type TP

font test changed layout just for fun.afpub

I downloaded the fun.afpub and tried to type the capital T or P into it where you typed "I can type TP anywhere in the document even here TP I wonder if you can now?" and it still won't work for me. :-) Thank you for trying!

2 hours ago, guesthollow said:

The capital letters T and P will not work unless I paste them in from another document.

You have assigned those keystrokes as shortcuts to styles, so they get captured.
Shift + P is assigned to the Workbench paragraphs style.
Shift + T is assigned to the Timeline Captions style.
Remove those shortcuts and you should be able to type P and T.

Nothing wrong with the font that I can see.

The exclamation point Export to PDF works fine for me.
But in your PDF they are replaced with a space character.
Check your Shortcuts in Preferences to make sure you have not added something.
Also check your Auto-Correct to make sure you have not added something.
BUT, now that I think about it, those would show-up in the document.

PDF export issues can some times be font issues, or font cache corruption.
Shut Affinity applications down, clear your font cache, and restart your computer.

3 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

You have assigned those keystrokes as shortcuts to styles, so they get captured.
Shift + P is assigned to the Workbench paragraphs style.
Shift + T is assigned to the Timeline Captions style.
Remove those shortcuts and you should be able to type P and T.

Nothing wrong with the font that I can see.

Shut Affinity applications down, clear your font cache, and restart your computer.

Oh wow!! The typing issues is fixed now!! I can't thank you enough!! I have no idea how I assigned those to styles!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I've been fighting with the trying to type a capital T and P for awhile and am so happy to have it fixed!  I'll look into the other solutions for the PDF export. :-D Heading off to look up how to clear my font cache!!  

35 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

I cleared my font cache and this didn't fix the issue. I'll keep poking around. :-) Thanks again for your help!!

13 hours ago, guesthollow said:

I cleared my font cache and this didn't fix the issue. I'll keep poking around.

Are you on a Mac or Windows?

Has the SF Cartoonist Hand font exclamation point to PDF ever worked?
Or has this font always had this issue since you started using APub?

I took another look at the font and there is some old stuff in there, and maybe deleting that old stuff and rebuilding the font may cause it to work for you.

EDIT: try this

SFCartoonistHandAF-Regular.zip

Removed three old tables - not needed and the Affinity shaper has appeared to have issues with them (in some other posts).
Removed a couple encodings that are not needed.
If either of those had a character mapping issue that may have caused the issue.
Renamed it to prevent name conflicts, so it can be installed at the same time, and so unidentified modified fonts do not get out there floating around in the ether.

If this does not work, I am out of ideas.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, kenmcd said:

I took another look at the font and there is some old stuff in there, and maybe deleting that old stuff and rebuilding the font may cause it to work for you.

SFCartoonistHandAF-Regular.zip 30.04 kB · 0 downloads

Removed three old tables - not needed and the Affinity shaper has appeared to have issues with them (in some other posts).
If either of those had a character mapping issue that may have caused the issue.
Renamed it to prevent name conflicts, so it can be installed at the same time, and so unidentified modified fonts do not get out there floating around in the ether.

I'm on a Windows. Thank you so much for modifying the font! I soooo appreciate it! I'll try it out and see if that makes a difference. :-) 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, kenmcd said:

SFCartoonistHandAF-Regular.zip 30.04 kB · 0 downloads

The edited font worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you SOOOOOO much! I did a font replacement for the original using the edited font. Everything looks identical, but it's exporting properly. Thank you again. I am so grateful!