You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document: /Users/xxxxxxxxx/xxxx/TM One Pager.afdesign

DominicJ

Help! Just finished designing a document and can't save it! I can save a PDF version but not the afdesign file.

I'm given the following reason: "Save failed because the file could not be written to."

I've switched from an external drive to my internal documents folder in case it was permissions but to no avail. It does leave an empty file in the directory with zero bytes.

Also the preview of the export is broken up and not showing everything clearly.

I'm on an M1 Macbook Pro, running Montery 12.6.1 with Version 2.0.0 of Designer.

Thanks

Dominic

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 14.34.52.png

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 14.39.22.png

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 14.40.21.png

Exporting as a PDF is a good fallback option, but not ideal I agree.
Can you make and save a new empty document of the required size on your internal drive?
If yes, then next, can you copy & paste the contents of the original file into the new blank one and save it?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Can you try using the “save as” option maybe to your desktop?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

35 minutes ago, markw said:

Exporting as a PDF is a good fallback option, but not ideal I agree.
Can you make and save a new empty document of the required size on your internal drive?
If yes, then next, can you copy & paste the contents of the original file into the new blank one and save it?

Hi Mark,

Yes, I just did this. Created a new blank document, saved it, then copied the contents over and it saved okay. This worked on both the internal and external drive. Phew!

6 minutes ago, DominicJ said:

...it saved okay...

Very glad to hear it!😎

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Saving problem is back again! A new version of the design with the same elements in. I can see an "[M]" next to the file name at the top, is this a clue as to what is going wrong? I have an element within the design that was opened as an embedded graphic, anything to do with this?

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 10.52.02.png

Okay, so I've narrowed it down. I've rebuilt the document, copied over each set of layers, saved, same again. Then when I tried copying over a layer with masked group inside it stopped saving. I went back and broke the masked group apart and copied each layer within over, saved. Then I found the item stopping the saving, it is an embedded graphic that I had opened, copied the parts from, created a new document, pasted then in, and saved it as I wanted to use different colours within it and keep the original. I'm thinking it's this copied graphics from within the embedded graphic that for some reason it's not linking too (which I'd have thought it shouldn't need to as it's a new document. I'm going to try building this part from scratch again and will report back.

It worked! This time I opened the original graphic, duplicated it, saved the colour changes, then placed it back into the document and grouped with the masked elements and it now saves again.

Is this a Designer Version 2 bug? The files are living on an external NMVe drive, the graphic elements are from a Dropbox drive (saved offline). 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DominicJ said:

How do I access this, My software update says I'm already on the current version. Thanks

You can find it in a pinned post at the top of the appropriate Beta Forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1