You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow with delay

I just updated to v2. Hadn't had Publisher before. It doesn't work well, actually it is not usable.

There are plenty of actions that take quite too long. For example, writing something, I can see every keystroke happening after I finish writing. Or when I edit Text Styles and click “OK” to apply styles. It takes ~ 8 seconds until I can go on. Meanwhile, AP doesn't respond, and I see the spinning beach ball. Or switching the app and come back to AP, it takes about 3 seconds until I see the app come to foreground. Or resizing elements, because of other delays, I quite often end with none proportional results.

There are more buggy things I honestly, I regret buying the app. Don't like it all :/ It feels like beta, or it is what you get for 120 bugs 

Hello, @suntrop,

I suspect that your hardware is incompatible, or that some other software is running in the background.

1. What is your hardware and operating system configuration? Are the operating system and drivers up to date?
  2. Are you using hardware acceleration? If so, what happens when you uncheck it, turn off your computer, and reboot?
  3. Does this slowdown occur on a v1 or v2 file? If it is a v1 file, save it as a v2 file, exit, wait a moment, then restart the software. What is happening?
  4. Are you using an antivirus program other than the operating system? Another utility of some kind? What happens if you disable them?

If the problem persists, can you show a video or provide an AFPUB file?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

I don’t know the Mac, but looking at the 2016 macOS description, it looks like your hardware is macOS 10.12 so-called Sierra which would therefore fall short of the minimum technical specifications. The minimal Mac would be a macOS 10.15 says Catalina.

https://affinity.serif.com/fr/publisher/full-feature-list/

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

I can confirm that moving objects is extremely slow. It has been reported to the devs. Other actions being slow or non-responsive is probably caused by the same fundamental issue. What I've noticed is that the CPU performance doesn't seem to be spread properly among all available cores. 

Hello, @DC9V,

Same question: what is your hardware configuration and operating system version?

17 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

I don’t know the Mac, but looking at the 2016 macOS description, it looks like your hardware is macOS 10.12 so-called Sierra which would therefore fall short of the minimum technical specifications.

On Mac, usually programs won’t launch at all if they fall short of the required OS version, and I think that is the case with Affinity. So I think that is likely not the issue here. I would ask @suntrop whether this happens in a new document made from a default preset. There may well be some condition in an existing document that is exposing a bug. 

The operating system is therefore correct. It remains to check the other questions (files and others programs), including the one asked by Garrettm30.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:37 PM, Pyanepsion said:

looking at the 2016 macOS description

If you were looking at what I suspect you were, those usually list the version of macOS that initially shipped on the product when it was first launched - the minimum version of the operating system that can run on them, not the latest version that can.

Because Apple's hardware configurations can be quite diverse among models, they often need to add new drivers to the operating system when releasing a new model, so versions older than the one available upon release are often unable to run on the computer.

23 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

Hello, @DC9V,

Same question: what is your hardware configuration and operating system version?

Hi DC9V

I have the sames issues described by @suntrop , all the actions are slow and some times i have a problem with the display blank squares appears on the pictures and when i export those squares appears on the picture exported and sometimes the Affinity freeze i didn' have those problems with the V1.

With or without the material acceleration option is the same result.

You are talking about the incompatibility of the Hardware am not sure it's the reason because i have bought a new gamer laptop

ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS M2
Processor I9 12900
NVIDIA RTX 3070 TI
32 Gb
Windows 11
All drivers are up to date

Really am very desappointed with this new version

So we are talking about 3 different malfunctions, perhaps of the same origin, detected on 2 types of Mac and 1 type of PC. The DC9V one is apparently known by Affinity.

I am on my fourth book in version 2. I have never noticed this slowdown (my configuration is indicated in signature) hence, if everything is up to date (hardware, motherboard, graphics card, and other drivers), the suggestions about possible other software, often useless, running in the background. What about it?

Il y a 7 heures, NPM a dit :

Exactement.
La plupart des utilisateurs ne savent pas que les programmes d'affinité sont des éditions "en direct".
J'entends par là qu'il utilise autant de RAM pour fonctionner.
Je pense aussi que les gens pensent qu'un ordinateur moderne peut exécuter des choses en même temps.
Prenez par exemple onedrive ou l'application officerun sur Windows, ils s'exécutent mais ne sont généralement pas utilisés activement.
Sans parler des navigateurs et des applications comme Spotify, WhatsApp ou autres, ils utilisent très probablement la même mémoire vive et la même carte graphique uniquement pour afficher des éléments fantaisistes inutiles.
Si l'on édite, qu'il s'agisse d'images, de livres ou de vidéos, éteignez simplement les autres éléments et votre flux de travail sera tellement plus fluide à mon humble avis.

Hi MNP

I don't agree with this analysis 

Here is in fact a test i have made today

Here is screen capture of the processor and memory usage 

Before launching Affinity

AFFINITY2_SYSTEM_BEFORE_LAUNCH.png.4a814729f6042d62ffbf62b2c4609cba.png

Processor : 3%
Memory :  29%

after launching affinity and doing some treatments

AFFINITY2_SYSTEM_AFTER_LAUNCH.png.c02681ce91b350dfe1bfe407443a4ad8.png

Processor : 3%
Memory : 33%

it's mean that i have 65% of memory available 

And affinity is still slow

When i export a photo the preview make 8s to display the preview

AFFINITY2_EXPORT.png.e55842b2422898ff450a8f496c2f9907.png

Adding to with this Affinity V2 i have sometimes blank squares on my picture and after exporting the squares are still here

PETIT_DEJ_003.jpg.1ebc47d79494479c2acbaf0d812cf182.jpg.49a64dbf49b4efa2ab203b06e92c6f3c.jpg

After that i don't know what to think hope that the Serif team could be give us some explanation or if it's a real bug , hope that they can resolve 

Thank you 

17 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Exactly.
Most users are not aware that affinity programs are "live" editing.
By this I mean that it uses as much ram to run.
I also think that people think that a modern computer can run stuff at the same time.
Take for instance onedrive or the officerun app on windows,they run but are mostly not in use actively.
Not to mention browsers and apps like spotify, whatsapp or the like, they use most likely the same ram and graphics card just for displaying unneeded fancy stuff.
If one is editing, whether images ,books or video simply shut off the other stuff and your workflow will be so much smoother imho.

[Edited]
I think our systems should be capable. GPUs like @kamelus's  3070 Ti are used for much heavier workloads like 3D rendering. @suntrop's GPU on the other hand has only 2GB of video memory, though. I think the issue could be a memory leak. It occurs when a program incorrectly manages memory allocations.

Today I noticed that my sound device driver had almost 50% CPU usage while Affinity designer was opened, and it continued to have at least 37% CPU usage after I've closed all other applications including but not limited to Affinity Designer 2.0.

1823710325_ApogeeGluehighCPU_usage.thumb.png.f1045b7e01a75226db79c1d8fd37a905.png
( 'ApogeeGlue' is part of my sound driver. See CPU usage bottom right corner. )

@kamelus

The image of the devoured cake is abnormal, even if it is a Grimlins!

Is it possible to see an Affinity file with the images recreating this phenomenon?

On 12/8/2022 at 12:04 PM, Pyanepsion said:

@kamelus

The image of the devoured cake is abnormal, even if it is a Grimlins!

Is it possible to see an Affinity file with the images recreating this phenomenon?

Hi @Pyanepsion : i have updated my thread relating to the blank square problem because it's happened today you can see the thread here  Blank square Problem

First: I'm not asking for help or feedback.

I'm only reporting that I see the same delay when modifying text styles in Publisher v.2. It's usually a 5-6 second spinning beach ball that freezes Publisher & CPU usage for Publisher spikes >100% for a single CPU.

I've been running Publisher since it was originally released and this is a new behaviour that was not present in v.1.

I'm running a Mac Studio Ultra (20/64/32) with 128GB Ram on the most recent version of MacOS.

8 minutes ago, CraigB said:

First: I'm not asking for help or feedback.

I'm only reporting that I see the same delay when modifying text styles in Publisher v.2. It's usually a 5-6 second spinning beach ball that freezes Publisher & CPU usage for Publisher spikes >100% for a single CPU.

I've been running Publisher since it was originally released and this is a new behaviour that was not present in v.1.

I'm running a Mac Studio Ultra (20/64/32) with 128GB Ram on the most recent version of MacOS.

Your system is far more powerful than my MacBook with an M1 Pro and I'm also running the latest version of macOS but I'm not seeing any speed issues except when I run low on memory which would not be the case for you.

There was the Apple Silicon spinning beachball issue in v1 which I've yet to hear confirmation on whether it's fixed in v2. This is the issue which you could workaround by turning off Automatically Adjust Brightness in System Settings > Displays. Do you have that off?

I know you're not asking for help but it may be helpful to Serif to know whether this issue persists when you disable Metal in Preferences > Performance. Turn off Enable Metal, restart, and then change Display to Open GL. You shouldn't have to do that and normally wouldn't want to do that but if it solves the problem then it would narrow down where the issue resides.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I'm having a similar if not same problem.    I seriously doubt I will ever buy this software in future releases.

The brushes in Photo and Designer do not run properly, they lag behind your applying pen pressure on a tablet.

I have quite a few different digital painting programs on the same computer that run fine including: MyPaint, GIMP, Corel Painter, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Photo Impact 13, Photo Filtre, Art Rage, Corel Photo Paint, Sketchbook, Clip Studio Paint Pro, Fire Alpaca, Medibang, Krita, Paintstorm Studio, PaintStar,  Windows Paint (3D) and Project DogWaffle (free version).     Affinity Designer and Photo are the only programs that I have this problem with.    You have to paint brush strokes very slowly for them to keep up with your applying strokes, if you go at normal speed of applying brush strokes you'll loose control of where you are and not see where the strokes are going.    Also notice that changing over menu selections is also very slow compared to any other programs.    This problem was not so bad in Version 1 of Designer which I purchased through the Microsoft store and recall a trial version of Photo 1.    I purchased the complete suite of all 3 programs for version 2 and none work well enough to take seriously as a program you might accomplish some objective with.     I personally like the vector drawing features of Designer that are excellent as an alternative to Corel Draw or Inkscape which I also use.     I was completely focused on the vector drawing features of Designer when I decided to try and buy the entire Suite Version 2.      These products definitely need improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

having similar issues with brushes being so laggy as to be unuseable in photo 2 version 2.0.3

using an 14" M1 macbook pro with 8 cores cpu

14 gpu  and 16gb ram - running ventura 13.0.1

is 144 x 96 inch canvas  with biggest brush setting (4096 px)   just too big?

none of the adjustments suggested from performance related issue post seem to effect the process  

switch from 16 bit color profile to 8 helped somewhat but didnt really make a dent

the first photo shows when the brush is first applied but nothing shows up yet - it can can take like 15 seconds or more - and shows the cpu load 749%

second photo is in idle after some marks were made

i am just getting started with digital painting so please i am sorry for not knowing if this is an absurd maneuver to even attempt

thanks to all of you on these forums!

elias

EE4948BD-D9FF-4D87-BAD0-35F89EF32FBD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.530a860075d40da53a2aeb3c7cb483a0.jpeg8EAD0DBF-4BB1-4619-9352-8AFE6101467D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2d6ad4e287aacae0e2f5a2fe6e1e2c24.jpeg

On 12/13/2022 at 8:29 AM, Stephen LoPiano said:

I seriously doubt I will ever buy this software in future releases. [...] I purchased the complete suite of all 3 programs for version 2 and none work well enough to take seriously as a program you might accomplish some objective with. [...] These products definitely need improvement.

I agree, and I'm probably not gonna buy any future upgrade either. Although version 2.0.3 already came with a lot of bug fixes, I think version 2.0.0 should never have been released in such a rudimentary state. Most of us simply don't have the know-how to estimate whether or not a certain issue will be fixed within future updates. And we certainly didn't want to replace beta-testers. I know that there's always a reason for all kinds of things, but I want to be clear that this is simply not acceptable from a customer's perspective. Buyers should be able to expect that an upgraded version does not perform worse than its predecessor. 

On 12/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, Tia Lapis said:

I always wonder why no one is using the trial before buying. Would prevent much frustration on all sides...

Hi Tia

the answer is very simple : am working with Affinity for many years and i din't have problem during all this period at all , than you can't imagine having those problems with a major release from Affinity but in the futur i th'ink that i will try the Trial before