You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

End Notes refuses to obey custom settings

GuyMiklos

Each time I try to insert an end note, the  Positioning setting reverts to Document-wide, with Poisitioning > Note position = Shared Document Frame.

this happens no matter how many times I set it to "End of Story

no matter how many times I do "Save Document Setting as New Defaults"

no matter how many times I delete the End Note text frame that was automatically added.

See screen shot of settings I'm trying to use.

End notes are essential to the scholarly book I'm working on. End Note functionality was my primary reason for buying Affinity Publisher 2, so I'm frustrated that I can't get it work. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so.

So that I don't waste my valuable working time, please let me know what I should do - try some other way, or wait for Affinity Publisher 2.01

Also ... while fiddling with End Notes on editable filler text, the insertion of an end note reference supercripted all the "i"s and "n"s in the filler text throughout the frames of three stories spread over a double page spread. See screen shot. I couldn't replicate this erratic quirk.

Skärmavbild 2022-12-05 kl. 07.34.34.png

Skärmavbild 2022-12-05 kl. 07.53.32.png

MacBook Pro, Retina, mid-2015, macOS Monteray, RAM: 16 GB, CPU Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz. Monitor: 27" (3840 × 2160) DELL U2723QE 

Curious as to why you are using Custom instead of Document Wide. I would think you would rather have all the footnotes be document wide not individually set and formatted.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the tip Bruce. My book has a large chapter with a few pages each on selected tools and their use. The literature references for each tool are seldom used for any other tools, so putting the literature list at the end of each tool's story makes more sense than putting them in a long list at the end of the chapter. Some reference are web links, so having them at the end of each tool story invites exploration of external sources, rather than deferring it. The custom feature is intended to cater to this kind of situation, which is great, but I can't get it to work, which is not so great.

Thanks for your suggestion. No luck with that. I'll experiment with shorter sections, and see if that makes any difference. But not this week. I've changed focus to other aspects of the book.

MacBook Pro, Retina, mid-2015, macOS Monteray, RAM: 16 GB, CPU Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 2,8 GHz. Monitor: 27" (3840 × 2160) DELL U2723QE