You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two Versions of Affinity on my PC. This problem applies to the whole Affinity Suite.

SidM8

After installing the 3 Affinity programmes from version 1 to version 2.
Designer, Publisher, and Photo.

I find that I still have all of the Affinity 1 programmes on my PC.
Tried to find separate folders to uninstall the old version 1, but unable to do so.

Please advise.

SidM8

The 2 versions can coexist together and can even both run at the same time

Probably best not to uninstall the V1 apps until you test V2 for a bit (unless you need the disk space) but if you do need to uninstall them just use the in-built Windows uninstall program facility, no need to touch the folders.

Be advised once you create or update an existing V1 document using V2, V1 will not be able to open it directly in the future. So, you may want to make a copy before you use V2 on an existing V1 document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, SidM8 said:

Tried to find separate folders to uninstall the old version 1, but unable to do so.

You would uninstall a Windows application by using Start > Settings, then Apps, then choosing the app you want to uninstall.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, carl123 said:

The 2 versions can coexist together and can even both run at the same time

@SidM8

Thank god if your v1 apps still work! I highly recommend to NOT uninstall your v1 Software if it's still working stable !!! I have all v1 and v2 apps installed in parallel and even did the v1.10.6 updates (v1.10.6 working properly so far).

I did only one small project with v2 (no way back 😞) and will switch back to v1 for further work until there is at least the first v2 update availlable. Better wait for a proper v2.x public beta release to test all the crappy stuff in advance...

Reasons - sorry Serif but have to say this:

1) In my opinion the v2.0.0 release is NOT production ready. The whole release is nothing more than a huge public beta because fundamental functionalities (stable in v1 for years) are partially broken in v2 and the new features also contain bugs that urgently have to be fixed.

2) Serif had recently released an update 1.10.6 on all three apps:

I guess the latter speaks for itself...😶

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You would uninstall a Windows application by using Start > Settings, then Apps, then choosing the app you want to uninstall.

This is what I find with your system.
I had been looking in Control Panel / Programmes.
Notice the file sizes for each version. A bit strange that.
I will not uninstall anything yet.

Affinity.JPG

10 minutes ago, SidM8 said:

That is a deprecated way of working, in modern Windows systems. Probably because it does not show everything.

10 minutes ago, SidM8 said:

Notice the file sizes for each version. A bit strange that.

Yes, it seems Windows does not account for all the application files in that listing. It is strange.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, SidM8 said:

What do you suggest ?

I don't have a suggestion. I just ignore that Windows problem, as it doesn't really matter as far as I can see. What problem does it cause you?

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
2 hours ago, SidM8 said:

This is what I find with your system.
Notice the file sizes for each version. A bit strange that

It's very odd that Windows doesn't know how to display the actual size, which for V2 applications is about the same size as (actually slightly larger but not much) it was for V1. It doesn't matter, it's just odd/annoying 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't have a suggestion. I just ignore that Windows problem, as it doesn't really matter as far as I can see. What problem does it cause you?

No problems so far.
My concern was that it might have been symptomatic of an underlying more serious issue.
I will just leave it as it is.

Trouble is that little things like this irk me.
So, I will probably uninstall and then do a fresh install with version 2 some time in the near future.

I have uninstalled everything and then done a fresh install.
All is now OK.

So, the issue is resolved and this thread can be deleted.
Or left for here for reference.

Many thanks to all.

Keep sticking it to that greedy lot at Adobe !!