You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2- crashing and Freezing when saving certain files

mikejard

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

FWIW I didn't have it installed and I could still open the file just fine. 

Same here, but if it is installed on the original system then that may be where the problem lies, if perhaps the user has cancelled their Adobe Subscription and can no longer access the fonts...or they need to re activate the font.

Maybe Designer could give a warning that the font is missing... it seems it might be trying to access a non active font, which is why Mike was getting a file is opening message and is unable to open others...and possibly getting the crashes

Rea

2 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Same here, but if it is installed on the original system then that may be where the problem lies, if perhaps the user has cancelled their Adobe Subscription and can no longer access the fonts...or they need to re activate the font

Really appreciate all the help. A font problem as the root cause makes sense. I'll try various options tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Happy Christmas.

8 minutes ago, mikejard said:

Rea

Really appreciate all the help. A font problem as the root cause makes sense. I'll try various options tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Happy Christmas.

Can you open the file I attached a couple of posts ago with Myriad replaced?

On 12/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, Murfee said:

Can you open the file I attached a couple of posts ago with Myriad replaced?

Latest update. I deleted Myriad Pro from Font Book. I opened the last version of the file in Publisher and deleted about 50 text blocks with Myriad Pro - some with actual text, others blank. I saved as PDF and was then able to open in Designer - albeit with some changes to layers and the loss of pre-set slices - but at least I can access the file and was able to save a simple change. 

It does appear that it was a font problem with certain fonts (Myriad Pro?) but it may also in part be due to it being a file that was originally created in Adobe Illustrator and then converted when I changed to Affinity. I've been able to work on it without any problem in Affinity 1 but something in Affinity 2 clashed big time.

It is exactly the same situation with another file that was originally done in Illustrator, worked fine in Affinity 1 but can't open or if it does open, I can't save in Affinity 2. I went through the same process - opening in Publisher, tidying up and deleting some Lucinda Grande fonts, saving as a PDF and re-opening in Affinity 2.

At least there is some progress and I know of a work around. I think it only affects files that were originally in Illustrator, then converted and updated annually for a repeat event.

I'll keep using Affinity 2 with fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike