You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As nice as things like live preview of layer blend modes are (and they are!) I can't help feeling a bit short changed by the layer transparency slider....?

Anyone else feel like this?

I'd really like a live preview of the layer's transparency as I drag the slider, but I have to let go and test it each time. I would say something like 'oh, I understand, it must be difficult to do...etc', but actually, can it really be that hard to make the transparency live? Or at least catch up, if you hold at a point, could it at least catch up to that point when it can manage it?

While we're here, I find hue changes similarly frustrating - they do catch up, but I do think it feels a bit slow....anyone else?]

Cheers

Wayne

On my iMac, there is a slight lag when dragging the layer transparency slider, but I don't have to release the slider for the live update to work. The lag you see may be because your Mac is not using OpenGL acceleration (settable in the Performance section of Affinity Preferences) or because your Mac's GPU is not very powerful.

What Mac model are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hmm, well a supposed beast of a 27" iMac, not 5K though ( I have 5K Maxed out at home - now that IS a beast!)

Maybe I should try the same file at home, see if it's the files fault.

Scratch that, just testing on a blank 720 file now and it's the same - definitely getting absolutely no update until I let go of the mouse.

I have tried all the performance settings, each on, both on, both off, and the only one that actually allows use of the program (i.e. drawing) is OpenGL (which it was always on anyway) - any other mode grinds AP to a halt and it takes about 3 seconds to draw a wiggly pen stroke! So, I guess I already had it on the optimal setting! Thanks for the suggestion though, it was good to get around to actually testing the options properly - It always niggled me that there might be one checkbox config that would boost performance, but I guess not - all the others are awful!!!

Weird one then.....Oh my god! Super weird!

I thought I'd try one last thing before posting, and found out the culprit!

So, live preview is instantaneous..... with the mouse!! I'm always using the Wacom, so it never occured to test with the mouse.

So, it's a Wacom thing? Does anybody else have this issue with a pen? Quick test please? I'd be interested to know!

Thanks R C-R!!

I don't have a Wacom so I can't check how it works with one but have you checked to make sure you have the latest Wacom software installed on your Mac?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7