You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving Anti-Alias Blur

I've experienced this many times since I started using Affinity years ago, but always found a workaround and never actually mentioned this in the forums. That being said, I recently had a big issue with a client/project due to this so I thought it ought to be mentioned. There was a tight deadline which caused me to not be able to be too meticulous with the work and I completely overlook this in the file, and the client ended up printing a ton of products which were unusable as the print came out blurry. Obviously this is technically my fault, but this isn't something I expect from an app, so I wasn't looking out for it as closely.

I've noticed that sometimes when moving/nudging pixel layers (or selecting and resizing specific areas on a pixel layer, even when sizing down) the app applies a disproportionate amount of anti-aliasing which can affect the entire layer and cause a blurry look to the content on that layer - not only on screen, but even in print. 

I have no idea why this happens, but it's rendered completed linework layers for illustrations completely useless, ending in me having to spend an extra day or two on projects of unpaid time redoing everything from scratch for clients.

Furthermore, if I merge anything down on that layer or continue to work on that layer, the same exaggerated anti-alias is applied again. So it's not just the selected portion of the layer that is affected, but the layer as a whole. 

This can sometimes happen even when 'Force Pixel Alignment' is checked. 

I completely understand that there might be some amount of anti-aliasing when resizing or rotating objects (considering all of the pixels are shifting), but the extreme amount actually causes a very visible/noticeable and unwanted blurry effect which even persists even in print.

This may be intentional to a degree, but when I worked in PS (for almost 10 years) prior to switching Affinity I never once experience anything like this.

Screenshot.png

• Staff

Hi @ChristiduToit,
Thanks for your report/feedback. We are aware of both issues. Moving pixel selections, resizing/downsampling can lead to objects placed on non-integer values blurring/degrading the image. When moving them to another place, if they degrade, try to nudge them a bit until they become sharp again. Merge operations can also lead to blurring if one of the objects was stretched or scaled, or if the layers/objects have differing DPI's among other cases. Usually rasterising the bottom layer and performing the Merge afterwards prevents the blurring of layers.
I'm updating/bumping the respective reports to bring them up to devs attention. Thanks.