You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: What is the best way to soften an area between light & shadow?

Sometimes I have images where the shadows look harsh. I don't want to change the whole image, but I just want to soften certain shadows by going over the area in between the light & shadow with a brush. I've tried to create a smooth transition by using the smudge tool, but that tends to remove texture and doesn't look that great.

What is the best way to make certain shadows in the image a bit softer by using a brush, instead of affecting all of the shadows in the image?

Thank you for your help!

If you are talking about the edge of a shadow then you could try one of the Blur brushes. You would need to go to View > Customize tools look to add one or more of these underlined tools.

2120859252_ScreenShot2022-12-06at9_40_24AM.png.a8d0dac812e4d70cb3c1b5cf870ae24b.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, Old Bruce said:

If you are talking about the edge of a shadow then you could try one of the Blur brushes. You would need to go to View > Customize tools look to add one or more of these underlined tools.

2120859252_ScreenShot2022-12-06at9_40_24AM.png.a8d0dac812e4d70cb3c1b5cf870ae24b.png

I'm trying to find these tools, but I don't see any tools that have the same exact icons as shown in your image. My icons look different. Maybe this could be because I still haven't upgraded to Affinity Photo version 2.

So, I tried to find the tools by looking for icons that have the word "blur" in them. I attempted to use these tools, but they apply a blur to the whole image. However, I only need to blur specific areas of the image. To do this, I have to apply the blurring effect with a brush, rather than applying it to the whole image.

2 hours ago, andren said:

My icons look different. Maybe this could be because I still haven't upgraded to Affinity Photo version 2.

Yes, they look different in AP V1. However, the Blur Brush Tool looks very much like the one in V2, something like a teardrop or water droplet, like this:

527518810_BlurBrushToolicon.jpg.1da1368a452a52baa77add5e8157edc6.jpg

If you do not see it on the Tools panel it could be because it is grouped with a few other tools like the Sharpen Brush Tool, but if you want it by itself you can use the View > Customize Tools (not toolbar) item to add it as an ungrouped item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/5/2022 at 5:46 AM, andren said:

Sometimes I have images where the shadows look harsh. I don't want to change the whole image, but I just want to soften certain shadows by going over the area in between the light & shadow with a brush. I've tried to create a smooth transition by using the smudge tool, but that tends to remove texture and doesn't look that great.

What is the best way to make certain shadows in the image a bit softer by using a brush, instead of affecting all of the shadows in the image?

Thank you for your help!

I would suggest a different approach.

1. create curves adjustment to brighten the shadows.
  2. invert the adjustment layer inherent mask
  3. Use a soft white brush, with about 12% opacity, and paint over the shadow areas. More strokes will increase the effect.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:28 PM, R C-R said:

Yes, they look different in AP V1. However, the Blur Brush Tool looks very much like the one in V2, something like a teardrop or water droplet, like this:

527518810_BlurBrushToolicon.jpg.1da1368a452a52baa77add5e8157edc6.jpg

If you do not see it on the Tools panel it could be because it is grouped with a few other tools like the Sharpen Brush Tool, but if you want it by itself you can use the View > Customize Tools (not toolbar) item to add it as an ungrouped item.

This is what my tools look like.

I tried the teardrop looking tools, but they apply a blur to the whole image. Also, they apply more of a pixelated blur, which looks kind of like a bokeh effect. I'm looking for more of a blending effect, rather than a pixelated effect.

I don't want to blur the whole image. I only want to create a smoother transition between the light & shadow on specific parts of the image. Since I want to apply the effect to very specific areas, while keeping everything else the same, I need to be able to apply the effect with a brush.

Affinity Photo Tools.png

On 12/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, NotMyFault said:

I would suggest a different approach.

1. create curves adjustment to brighten the shadows.
  2. invert the adjustment layer inherent mask
  3. Use a soft white brush, with about 12% opacity, and paint over the shadow areas. More strokes will increase the effect.

Thank you! :)

I tested this out on an image, and it works. It's a good method for creating smoother shadows on specific areas that I go over with a brush.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, RichardMH said:

Often  its a matter of moving the black point. Easy to do in curves. Can tweak the rest of the curve and blend modes etc to get the effect  you want.

blackpoint.jpg

Thank you!

Curves can be useful if I choose to apply an effect to the whole image. However, in this case, I only need to focus the effect on specific areas.

3 hours ago, andren said:

I tried the teardrop looking tools, but they apply a blur to the whole image.

The tool in the third row of your screenshot next to the Smudge Tool icon is the Blur Brush Tool, so the extent of its effect will depend on the size & type of brush you use with it. The ones with the plus & minus signs in their icons are not brushes & will affect the entire image.

Are yoy sure you tried the Blur Brush Tool & not one of the other two?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7