You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.0.0 closes unexpectedly every time

I have not been able to generate any work with the software since I bought it, when i opens, it is open for a few seconds and it closes, it does not matter if I navigate in the program or leave it open without manipulating. I already deselected the openCL and the same problem continues. I can't do much more as the program doesn't stay open for more than a few seconds.

affinityCrash.jpg

cl.jpg

Hi Andre,

do you find any crash reports which may help the support team?

If so, you might upload them here with another post in the forum.

cheers

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to find the dump file by normally opening a folder in windows, not with file/open inside Affinity, but just in a normal windows folder, outside any affinity app, paste the direction that it is said (for the app that you are using, for example, Designer, as they give 3 possible directions) on the direction/address part that every windows folder has on the top, and hit enter. If it is Affinity Designer 2.x  what you are using, then use this direction:  

%USERPROFILE%\.affinity\Designer\2.0\CrashReports\reports

And hit enter. The dump file will appear there. Then you would simply upload it here in a forum post (or in a dropbox url they would provide with).

I see in  the screenshot that you have only an integrated card. While that should work, maybe I'd try to put several performance settings in Affinity preferences as low as possible, and see what happens. IE, Retina Render in low, check how much RAM you have assigned also in  that preferences areas and try different values, reduce by a lot the number of UNDOs that you have by default (veeery high) in  that same section, but probably not setting in view quality "nearest neighbor", as that can end up looking very crappy and not mean much improvement, leave it bilineal. 

You can also go to Windows Settings (this is outside Affinity, just your "settings" gear icon that you find when you open Windows Start menu), then click "Screen". And at the very bottom of the right pane, last option you will see is "Graphics Configuration" (if I recall well the exact words).  Click there. Then you will have options to assign a kind of profile for your app where you could be prioritizing performance or low energy consumption. To get these optimizations, you first need to choose from a dropdown menu the option "Microsoft Store application". Then another dropdown menu appears, allowing you to choose Designer 2, or Designer 2 beta, whatever you are using. But before that option you do have an option, normally off by default, that helps increasing performance (in theory). Might be counter productive, so it's a matter of testing it. 

Honestly, I don't know in your case what would be better, so would be a matter of testing, but I'd try before the other matters mentioned about the Affinity preferences. And I don't know as I have not used ever these general MS Windows graphics performance options, so don't know if they really help. But an integrated card imo is a very extreme case for a Windows GPU accelerated app. The one way to usually get stuff barely decent with GPU accelerated software (at least on WIndows) is to use actual discrete cards (even a 1660 or so: go for nvidia, btw), with only very rare exceptions doi9ng fine with just an integrated card (meaning, is not something unique to Affinity).

I'd fiddle with all of that if I had a pc/laptop with no card, needing somehow to run Affinity on it, till finding something at least barely functional. You can select also the software only mode in preferences, but that can be very slow. If all you want to do is convert/export files, though, might be enough.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thank you,

%USERPROFILE%\.affinity\Designer\2.0\CrashReports\reports

there is not a crash report in the path

i do all the recomendation

...try to put several performance settings in Affinity preferences as low as possible.. done!

...You can also go to Windows Settings... done!

still have the same problem

Full crash and no reports... That is indeed strange... I thought that was not possible (I can think of not having writing permission (your or  the app) in that folder, but that's using too much imagination...).

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Question... every time you did change the Affinity settings/performance/Open CL , did you immediately exit the program? As if it crashes before normal exiting, it will not save the preferences. If you kept using it a bit more without exiting, and  then crashed, I might be wrong, but I think then all those times it did not save the configuration. So, it always crashed but never saved the no-open CL thing. Could you try disabling it, exiting immediately after that (File menu-> Exit), and the running the Affinity app again, and see if it crashes?

If that does not work, maybe try this for disabling OpenCL. It's the same than un-checking  the box as you already did, but with glitches, who knows , try loading the app with this (in theory, it is needed only  the first time)... :

SrPx: Question... every time you did change the Affinity settings/performance/Open CL , did you immediately exit the program?...

The app gives me enough time to uncheck CL and exit to restart the app, so CL is always unchecked after restart.

debraspicherThere is setting within Affinity itself to send crash reports automatically with your email. Possibly, staff can grab it that way? That's if you can get into preferences long enough to enable it...

The app gives me enough time to check preferences (attach the image), the box to send error reports is permanently checked and it is not possible for me to uncheck it

Thank you both,

Captura de pantalla 2022-12-19 185321.jpg

There's a new official release (not beta) from today, 2.0.3. Maybe try to install that one and see if you get  it fixed. Better if uninstalling this one first.

I have the same problem with Designer and Photo. I open, they load, the application window appears and closes momentarily. No crash reports. Latest versions of the programs installed, today I uninstalled both and downloaded the latest versions from the website. Drivers latest, windows up to date. 

@DamianG Have you tried what was mentioned earlier, to try to launch it with Open CL disabled? As in your case it does not allow you to disable it by accessing Preferences.

• 2 weeks later...