You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grid no longer working in Affinity Photo V2

Open View > Grid and Access.. & check which mode is selected. It might help to post a screenshot of that. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the quick response. Mode "Automatic" was selected. When I change it to "Simple" the grid is showing up as before. Very fine so far.

However when I open another photo the mode is reset to "Automatic" again. How can this be fixed? I didn't find any setting to change the default value.

1 hour ago, Sempervivum said:

I didn't find any setting to change the default value.

I don't think there is one. And if you're in Photo 2, the automatic grid is a Pixel grid, which only shows up when you're zoomed in far enough that it makes sense to show a grid with divisions of 1 px.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello, I had the same problem that the Grid could not be made visible (View...Show Grid / Strg+'). But that wasn't the mistake. The grid just wasn't defined. As soon as you select a grid type, it will also be displayed. The real problem is that the selection is not permanent. With each new photo you have to go back to View...Grids and Axes and choose a preset. After that, the grid is visible when you activate it (View...Show Grid / Strg+').

Is there a way to make one of the presets the default so that it can be made visible or invisible in every image by toggling it on or off?

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

As far as I can see, in fact there is a grid right from the start, if you create a new document or open an image. But it is very small and weak, so you will only see it if you zoom in a lot and the contrast to the background is high enough. It seems that at least the colour and opacity of the grid can be changed permanently. Even after a restart of Photo 2, the colour settings keep changed. But I can't find a way to change the "Automatic" values permanently. I think it makes sense, because "Automatic" says that the values will be set automatically  in a certain size or in relation to whatever, but the relations don't seem to make sense to me. Possibly the developers should have an eye on it.

Thanks for the additional hints.

This is another annoying issue in Version 2. Zooming is no option as I'm using the grid when adjusting the perspective and need an overview of the complete image then. The developers implemented some sophisticated features in version 2 but the basics are not working! 

In my first picture (Pic1.jpg) you can see that no grid is defined. Even if I zoom in so far that the individual pixels on my screen are 10 x 10 cm, no grid appears. How can I make the grid as defined in my second image (Pic2.jpg) the default for all newly opened images?

1 hour ago, RainerH said:

In my first picture (Pic1.jpg) you can see that no grid is defined.

We can see that no preset is chosen. But we can see that an Automatic grid is defined. We cannot see if you have View > Show Grid selected, though.

Also, what app are you using?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I use Photo 2 on Windows.
Show grid is activated (checkmark in "Show Grid" is set - in my German user interface Ansicht...Raster einblenden).
It's not about defining a grid or activating it, it's about making a defined grid the default for all files, to be able to show and hide it after opening a file with View...Show Grid (Ctrl+').

20 minutes ago, RainerH said:

I use Photo 2 on Windows.

Thanks. The Automatic Grid there is a pixel grid with 1px x 1px divisions, and should be visible when you've zoomed in enough. 

I don't think there's a way you can set a default grid, though you could set one in New documents created by File > New by creating a Template document with the grid you want specified.

-- Walt
PC:

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think there's a way you can set a default grid, though you could set one in New documents created by File > New by creating a Template document with the grid you want specified.

I think you are right about that. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Simonkidd said:

I cant get the grid to work either. Windows 10. AP V 2.0.0.3

Thought i would do a proper serious deep dive with v2 over the Christmas break.

Drivingme crazy. I do alot of composits and need to align and adjust parts of the pictures all the time. 

View > Grid and Axis... then pick a grid type other than Automatic.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

The most forgotten feature:

https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/GetStarted/templates.html

When saving a template, a preferred set of defaults will be saved with it. Text attributes, object properties, stroke/fill color, ruler and column guides, as well as grid setup, and more can be associated with a template.

From the New Document dialog, you can browse, search for, preview and edit existing document templates, as well as set up target template folders.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks for your help, but saving a template does not resolve my problem, because every time that I open a new photo I still have to enter "view>grid and axis...  etc.".

Unless there is a way to select a template and it's settings as a "background" every time that I open a new photo?

Create new document from template, then use „place“ to add photo.

It is a workaround, I too would love to have an option to save / restore presets by 1 click.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

16 minutes ago, Dimitrios said:

As you said, it's a workaround, developers of the company should fix it A.S.A.P. - like lots of other bugs. Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

I think this is more of a missing option than a bug, so it might be worth posting something about it in the feedback & feature requests forum.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...

I support this issue.  I use Photo to edit existing photos (so not creating a New Doc with a template).

In Photo 1, when I pressed the Grid shortcut (even while in the middle of another transformation, which was great) it displayed the grid using the last used grid settings.

In Photo 2, it never remembers the last used grid settings.  So each photo I have to stop what I am doing, go into View >Grid etc and load up my pre-set.

It's slow and annoying, and makes me want to go back to Photo 1 every time it happens.

In both V1 &V2, the Grids default to the Automatic tab. The default setting for Automatic Grid in V2 is Pixel Grid. So when you enable Grid by using a shortcut or menu, the Pixel grid is shown. The caveat, you need to zoom in to around 800% to see it. This was not the case in V1.

There's a Feedback & Suggestion forum, where you could search to see if a request has been made to change this, and if so add your voice to it. If not create one. I know there's been several people voice there dislike for this change.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...