You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem if Mac is offline while opening Affinity Photo

This problem also occurs with the designer and the publisher:
If you are initially connected to a work network and have worked with files from it and afterwards you are offline (i.e. have no access to the files), Affinity Photo takes a very, very long time to start or every attempt to open a file takes a lot of time before you can finally work. This is very, very annoying! I suspect that the way recently opened files are handled in the software is causing this behavior. In version 1.x there was no problem of that kind

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We do have an issue logged relating to this, but can I double check that when you re-open the app up, do you get a "There was a problem connecting to the server…." message appear and is it after clicking OK/Cancel that it becomes unrespnsive?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, chrispa said:

As I said in another post, all v2 softwares can't open if there are offline. There is no way to use Affinity apps. Force quit then launch again is not a solution. The message is always there… Back online, and it works fine.

V1 apps are working great.

However, if I am not able to go online for a short time or cannot establish a VPN connection to the company network, working with AD or AP is practically impossible. The only way I can get around this is to remember to empty the list of all recently opened files while I'm still in the company (i.e. connected to a network drive). You can imagine that I don't always think about it...

I develop software myself and therefore make the following assumption: Since the new function in the Affinity apps to display previews of recently opened files, the attempt to access that furthermore not accessible files does take place every time when the app is started (and possibly during other actions, I guess). There is a timeout that is far too long or we have a no suitable error handling for this case. V1 of the apps did not show this behavior!

In other words, please don't access previously opened files unless an user really want to work with them!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.