You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Proper feedback if command is not working

(Affinity Designer V2) It would be a good idea to give the user a proper feedback if a command is not working.
E.g. if you try to expand the stroke of a vector path with a brush (what hardly ever works) - Affinity V2 just goes over the non functional command without any notice. Effectively nothing happens. You have to select the node tool, click on the object to realise that the command did not do a thing. It also would be helpful to tell the user why the commmand could not be executed.

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

42 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

try to expand the stroke of a vector path with a brush (what hardly ever works)

?
What exactly doesn't work?

44 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

You have to select the node tool

Of course. 
Changing the brush width with the Brush tool selected doesn't affect already drawn objects. It will logically affect the next object you're about to draw.
To change existing objects, you must use a tool that makes the curve itself selectable. That can be Move/Node/Pen/Pencil, for example.

What doesn't work: on keyboard layouts without direct [ and ] keys, adding a custom shortcut won't stick and needs to be reapplied on each app launch. That's a known and longstanding bug.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

There are (as it seems) only two existing brushes that can be assigned to a path so you can still expand (Expand Stroke) the path - all other brushes fail to do so. But if you do so anyhow Affinity gives you no feedback on a command that could not be executed. You can see that the command failed by switching to the node tool and selecting the path again. The nodes show you that AD did nothing (or better: did not convert the path into a surface).

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

26 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Expand Stroke

Aha, jetzt verstehe ich, was du meinst.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just to be clear, this is one of the first two default Pen brushes right? The ones with no 'image'

1599628964_ScreenShot2022-12-04at11_51_19AM.png.835c480d387222131c67638d775cc95e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for pointing this out. I had totally missed the inability to expand the stroke of (most of) vector brush strokes.

It seems that vector brushes would be based on, well, vectors. Looking at it closer, I think that all except the "only two that work" 🤣 are pixel based. I may be missing the completely obvious, but ... why would that be?

100% agree, there should be an alert if you tell a program to do something that it can't do. At a minimum, this is something to be aware of if the design will be printed, especially at larger sizes.

One thing's for sure: UI/UX improvements will help Serif grow—and keep—the base.