You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No icon in Startmenu

mahu

23 minutes ago, mahu said:

The V2 apps do not show a program icon in the start menu

That doesn't look like the standard Windows Start menu to me. What version of Windows do you have, and are you using a replacement for the Start menu?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, mahu said:

But I use the search to start my apps - that means I press the Windows key and then type some characters of the app I want to use and then press Enter or click to launch it

Thanks for that clarification. When I try that, I get the proper icon, so I'm not sure what's happening on your system.

When you installed Publisher 2, did you use the standard MSIX install, or did you use one of the other methods that some users have been suggesting here in the forums?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I have not made any adjustments. To install I have not yet found another way, except to double-click the msix file.
It may be that it has something to do with Windows, but with the Store Apps you can't do anything except reset or delete and both don't help ... I do not find that works more reliably than the normal system.

Sorry, I have no other ideas at this point, except possibly to do a web search for resetting the Windows Font Cache and see if that helps. Though, if you haven't Restarted Windows you might try that, first.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I just installed Affinity Publisher 2 and am experiencing the same issue as you, @mahu. Any chance you figured out a fix?!

The first thing I tried was to restart my PC. I also tried clearing the icon cache (using instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-broke-in-windows-search/d8f92c14-2ffe-43ec-87b0-c60fc16e2692); still no icon.

The icon for Publisher 2 shows in the task bar when I open the app, but it does NOT show when I search for the App in the Start menu or when I pin to Start. It pins as a blank box and is not clickable (does not open the app).

When I look in the Applications folder, it is clear that there I something amiss with the icon for V2

image.png.e4f23559306e6767931d26de072b062d.png

With V1, in this folder I can right click the icon and see click "Open file location", but there is no such option with V2 (I assume it has something to do with the new install method). Where do the version 2 apps get installed on Windows 10? Not sure what to do next to troubleshoot this.

Here is what I see when I pin Publisher 2 to my Start Menu (and hover over it with my mouse):

image.png.29e22fb82e039b1184db8ba811df4d4b.png

Clicking this does nothing.

I searched through the forums and found that the executable is placed in a folder within AppData>Local, and I see the AffinityPublisher2.exe file twice there: in the root of the WindowsApps folder AND in its own folder (the latter is where my non-fuctioning start icon is linking to):

image.png.2988d459e7955623e7b92f218926abf8.png

Still not sure where the wonky looking icon is coming from!

• 2 weeks later...

No, no solution. but it happens only during search. If i scroll down my Startmenu, i can see the right icons.

Clicking on the wrong icons will launch the programs anyway, so the problem is only visual, but it's certainly something with the Windows Store

image.png.f20018a80196ef9859598d69e1841435.png

image.png.51fa8e21363fbe11be761a0a391dc847.png