You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just a wish for Frequency Seperation

Did you try to use the live bandpass mask? It effectively delivers what you are asking for.

1. add live bandpass mask
  2. set low band to 0
  3. set high band to radius (e.g. 2)
  4. You geht the high-pass.
  5. For low pass, use the invert button.

To have both, you need to copy the base layer (or use duplicate linked), and adjust the blend mode of upper layer to linear light.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

I'm using it (mainly) for skin - but I'm always happy to improve my method of working ;-)

I’ve explained it many times before and it becomes a super long thread.

It does make me happy that you are willing to learn. I myself will always continue learning and improving my foundations.

easiest way to learn this information would be to look up Natalia Taffarel on YouTube. Her videos will show you the process and proper way to work on photographs.

serif actually removed and reuploaded one of the video tutorials they put on YouTube because they got corrected on how to use frequency separation. That removed the comment thread on proper use of fs.As for v2 they have yet to upload anything specifically on fs again. 

so yeah Natalia Taffarel and a couple other photogs have videos so you can improve the foundational skills and move away from fs.

fs does have its uses on skin-that is price dependent and if you are doing more fine art work for the fantasy look. 

17 hours ago, DarkClown said:

I with for a non-destructive(!) Frequency Seperation filter.

Any frequency separation technique is just a fancy name for blur / kernel  math   down to what software actually does really .   You already have plenty of ways to recreate it live starting from Hipass  live filter  which itself is also re-creatable by blur, blending and opacity sliders.    People do it since ancient time of  first iteration of  pixel processing software.

Whatever  some tutorials suggest it's all the same  basically  just with different level of convenience.   

In one word try Hipass live filter   applying it separately for each of RGB   and blend option curves

2 hours ago, kirk23 said:

Any frequency separation technique is just a fancy name for blur / kernel  math   down to what software actually does really .   You already have plenty of ways to recreate it live starting from Hipass  live filter  which itself is also re-creatable by blur, blending and opacity sliders.    People do it since ancient time of  first iteration of  pixel processing software.

Whatever  some tutorials suggest it's all the same  basically  just with different level of convenience.   

In one word try Hipass live filter   applying it separately for each of RGB   and blend option curves

You are completely right - that's the way most people did it befor the Frequency Seperation filter came up. But since it's there now why not implement it properly as a non-destructive filter? Elsewise you were saying that I simply should not use the FS and stick to the higher efford old fashioned way? Probably the wrong direction of development ...

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

3 hours ago, DarkClown said:

But since it's there now why not implement it properly as a non-destructive filter?

I'm really not sure how you go about doing that in a layer-based product.  Frequency Separation produces two layers from one.  To implement it as a simple filter (non-destructive or otherwise) there is no established mechanism for representing the two parts as individual layers.  Layers operate on what is underneath them, so even if you had a non-destructive high-frequency filter and a non-destructive low-frequency filter, the one on top would be operating on the one on the bottom - not on the original image.

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

I'm really not sure how you go about doing that in a layer-based product.  Frequency Separation produces two layers from one.  To implement it as a simple filter (non-destructive or otherwise) there is no established mechanism for representing the two parts as individual layers.  Layers operate on what is underneath them, so even if you had a non-destructive high-frequency filter and a non-destructive low-frequency filter, the one on top would be operating on the one on the bottom - not on the original image.

True, you need to use duplicates or linked layers as bases to create those pairs. Which makes a non-destructive approach more or less useless.

Again, we now since 2.0 have the live Bandpass mask, this gives all what is needed to make you own live frequency separation.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

21 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

True, you need to use duplicates or linked layers as bases to create those pairs. Which makes a non-destructive approach more or less useless.

Again, we now since 2.0 have the live Bandpass mask, this gives all what is needed to make you own live frequency separation.

And it is still bad. Dodge and burn does not destroy the image in such a way. This is why I said to OP to go look at the Natalia video referencing fs. This is why serif took down the video when the thread was made correcting them and reuploaded the video again. So the thread would not be on said video. 

we want to lift each other up and the industry. Set a new professional standard that doesn’t harm the image. 
unless it’s for budget or artistic reasons there is no reason to fs anyone’s skin anymore. 

46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Good point. I was coming from a users perspective - not a programmers perspective ;-) It would probably require something like nested layers.

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

47 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I'll need to look into this and see how this works (will maybe take a while to fully understand the concept and how to properly replace the FS filter with it). Saw your explanation on the moiree topic already.

27 minutes ago, SpaceBound said:

And it is still bad. Dodge and burn does not destroy the image in such a way. This is why I said to OP to go look at the Natalia video referencing fs. This is why serif took down the video when the thread was made correcting them and reuploaded the video again. So the thread would not be on said video. 

I couldn't find any video from her you referred to. But maybe I was looking for the wrong keywords. And of course she has many videos so I just may have picked the wrong ones to figure out more ... (In case you have a link I'd appreciate that)

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

I couldn't find any video from her you referred to. But maybe I was looking for the wrong keywords. And of course she has many videos so I just may have picked the wrong ones to figure out more ... (In case you have a link I'd appreciate that)

Am I allowed to post links? If I am I will post them for you. I really think this will help us all. 

20 hours ago, SpaceBound said:

Am I allowed to post links? If I am I will post them for you. I really think this will help us all.

Not sure - I saw other people posting links. But you can as well send me a PN. Click on my Avatar (Profile) and go to "Message ..."

6 hours ago, DarkClown said:

Not sure - I saw other people posting links. But you can as well send me a PN. Click on my Avatar (Profile) and go to "Message ..."

Easiest way to understand fs is the Einstein Marilyn high frequency low frequency image. You destroy the shapes of the images. Closest you would get would be in fs would be high high, high mid, high low, mid high, mid mid, mid low etc. not just the two affinity would show in the tutorials. This is why they removed my thread in the original video and reuploaded the video later. Then the comment thread was no longer on the video on YouTube.They were schooled big time.