You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 Crashes upon New file or open file

PD1234

Just purchased affinity Designer 2.0 and gutted 😞

Loads up fine to start, opens first file and I can print like nothing wrong, but open second file and it takes ages and freezes Designer completely.

I have to end task to close program and re-load to use it again once before I repeat.

No crash report - empty?

My system - Dell
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 fully updated

Using NVIDIA

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Strange but if I open a file folder and select file open with AD2 it seems to be working so far, but if you open file within affinity via File, Open, select file, this is when it freezes, it would seem on the surface to be an open file issue? 

Anyone else having the same sort of issue?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

are you opening files from a location which has cloud services enabled ?

on the first report you mention printing - do the errors occur if you dont print?

Finally try disabling Hardware acceleration in preferences / Performance

• 2 months later...

Same problem with nVIDIA GPU on a DELL running win10.

Solution: in NVIDIA System manager, go to 3D settings. Ad Affinity Designer to the list of Programs. Then tell Affinity to use the DUMB onboard GPU ... no more crashes for now...

Serif should look into this. When I am using a 3D-optimized computer, I don't expect a graphics software to act up and cause problems. Now the fault might be with the nVidia drivers (which wouldn't surprise anybody) but maybe there could be some communication from Serif warning users about this. Took me a while to figure this out and if this happens close to a deadline, you could be losing quite some money.

• 6 months later...

PLEASE FIX THIS!

I can't open files anymore at all. Affinity photo was crashing after ediging 2-3 pictures and suddenly stopped working at all and crashes when trying to open any file.

I didn't have this with Windows 10, but on Windows 11 I started no notice this. Maybe this differs with users

-edit-

Tested also Affinity Photo 1 and same problem

-edit2-

Seems to work after computer restart.. But it did work also earlier for a while

-edit3-

Oh this thread is about Designer, I have Photo. Well mostly same code base I assume

Edited by patsu

• 5 weeks later...

Ok I just experienced this as well started a few days ago, for me it turned out to be a combination of deleted SVG's and Powertoys svg thumbnail preview for explorer.

My fix for my situation was to turn off the preview in powertoys, open designer and delete the missing SVG thumbnails, reactivate the function in powertoys and all was good again.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have this problem. I can start Photo2, but as soon as I try to open a new or existing document, Photo2 just closes.

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled Photo2 and still have the same problem. I need a bug fix. (Windows x64 Version 2.3.0)

• 2 months later...

The problem persists even with version 2.4. I think it's absolute bullshit that I can no longer use the software and apparently no support employee is reading the forum.

When I try to create a new file or open an existing file, Affinity Photo 2 just closes without any message (No Error Message).