You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mesh Layers not exporting to JPG

Or partially exporting AND not showing up on Designer UI

Finally had a real go at using V2 (Designer) because I'm working on something and don't want to commit to V2 just yet and not be able to open later in V1

Needed a use for the mesh function on a layer - creating shadows. Did a perspective warp on the two nodes and pulled down. Managed to do some further tidying up nodes until it started acting all weird and mesh layers weren't showing up and then only half showing up on a jpg export

Also couldn't figure out what layer was what and when I tried moving things the boundary box was in the wrong place - like where it was before the mesh transformation - but what I wanted to move still moved - until it would no more

What's going wrong there? This was on a pretty slick 2 year old bottom end range gaming PC so it's pretty high spec but only 8GB RAM - could the issue with the mesh be something to do with that maybe? (The file had a lot of layers and content)

Also - Only thumbnails in the bottom layers/child layers - what's that all about? Is there a way to turn on thumbnails?

Posting an example V2 Designer file with a warp may help us help you figure out what the issue is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

OK - 3 Files - 3 different sizes - Only the 500x500px Rescaled Version exported the warped layer fully - the other two either didn't at all or exported only part of it

See screenshot of folder for thumbnail view showing visibiity of mesh layer on different sizes (for some reason the 500x500px file at the top isn't showing a thumbnail preview but otherwise it should make sense)

See what you guys find with those files?

Another thing: This NVidia GeForce Experience App that comes with my graphics card keeps appearing in the corner of my screen when using Designer V2 so not sure if there's some software conflict going on there - maybe I should just uninstall this app I'm not sure if it's potentially useful or it's just going to bugger up all my settings

shadowthumbs.JPG

shadowV2_500x500px.afdesign shadowV2_1000x1000px.afdesign shadowV2_5000x5000px.afdesign

28 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

No one else is experiencing this?

I am seeing weird results on my Mac that *I think* has something to do with the rectangle layers but I can't figure out why or even explain it well enough to say more than it just seems weird. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Is it happening because it was taken from a V1 file/layer and then opened in V2?

I don't know. But I opened it in V1 & it behaved weirdly.  

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Were you expecting opening a V2 file with mesh layers in V1 to work?

Sorry. I got your file confused with another one. I opened it in V2, not V1.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

(I don't know what you are talking about above by "rectangle layers" - there are no rectangles in the files I shared)

In your shadowV2_500x500px.afdesign file, I see this:

layers.jpg.a87047f2abfd56815867e118cc448942.jpg

They are not visible but they are included in that file.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

In your shadowV2_500x500px.afdesign file, I see this:

They are not visible but they are included in that file.

Those are just place markers that I forgot to delete from the main file when I was sorting out an example file to post

The issue I am experiencing is nothing to do with the rectangles

Please disregard the irrelevant rectangles 

If anyone is able to confirm whether they are experiencing the same issue as me, ie. mesh layers not appearing or only partially visible after export to jpg (or on the software) then this might help get to the bottom of the problem (otherwise I'll raise this as a bug)

I'm waiting for some money to come through to probably bag the full house and here I am experiencing an issue with a new feature that I need to resolve for the purposes of something I am actually doing now and want to wrap up in the next few days - so hopefully someone from the dev team will be able to pick this up after the weekend and resolve it?

It looks to be somehow connected to Groups.
If you take the blue Group and the Warp Group out of any grouping the shadows start working correctly again within the file and on Export.
I also tried copy & past into a new file to see if that made a difference but got the same results.
Screenshot is from your 5000x5000 test file.

SCR-20221205-f0k.png.228452ab597d768b39614d0298347ebb.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

8 minutes ago, markw said:

It looks to be somehow connected to Groups.
If you take the blue Group and the Warp Group out of any grouping the shadows start working correctly again within the file and on Export.
I also tried copy & past into a new file to see if that made a difference but got the same results.

That works - cheers. A workaround until the issue is resolved fully anyway. Also works on the file I'm working on.

How are you getting thumbnail previews on parent layers? I can only see them on the bottom child layers

layers.JPG

Also - why is it when I select a mesh layer using the Move or Node Tool the software highlights the original object I created the mesh layer/object from - so if I want to move some Node I have to perform this action by proxy (ie. I have to move the original Node Point which then moves the new Node Point created by the Mesh)?

layer1.JPG

layer2.JPG

• Staff

Hi @awakenedbyowls,
This is by design. You can't edit the deformed "version" of the object transformed by the warp group directly, you can only edit the original object itself. If you need to edit the nodes of a transformed object (by a warp group) you have to convert it to curves. Of course at this point the warp group cease to exist and the object becomes just a regular path.

Note that your screenshot its a bit misleading. When you selected the transformed curve layer (black) what's being highlighted is not the respective green object but the original/untransformed black object's curves - try to delete the entire green group and you will see the path and nodes (no fill) of the untransformed black version still appears there. You can actually see it (including its fill colour in you select the warp group layer and tick Mute Mesh in the context toolbar.

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @awakenedbyowls,
This is by design. You can't edit the deformed "version" of the object transformed by the warp group directly, you can only edit the original object itself. If you need to edit the nodes of a transformed object (by a warp group) you have to convert it to curves. Of course at this point the warp group cease to exist and the object becomes just a regular path.

I can see that now - but I have to click on the parent layer to get this option to appear on the toolbar

Note that your screenshot its a bit misleading. When you selected the transformed curve layer (black) what's being highlighted is not the respective green object but the original/untransformed black object's curves - try to delete the entire green group and you will see the path and nodes (no fill) of the untransformed black version still appears there. You can actually see it (including its fill colour in you select the warp group layer and tick Mute Mesh in the context toolbar.

Not really misleading - you can see clearly the green layer above the layer being selected is where I duplicated the mesh layer from. Only posted up to illustrate what I meant. Don't really understand why this is "by design" but for my purposes the above solution achieves the desired effect anyway, cheers

• Staff

By "misleading" I meant that a quick look at the screenshot may look like it's the green object that's selected when its the untransformed version of the black object (which is a duplicate of the green one and is located right below it) that is selected. I understand you left the green there for illustration purposes, my apologies.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

The 500x500 file does export correctly but I'm seeing just part of the shadow on canvas in Designer.

In that afdesign file, do you see parts of the shadow appear & disappear as you zoom the view in & out like I do? For instance, at 500% the black shadow almost completely disappears. This does not happen if I move the blue Group and the Warp Group out of their inclosing group like @markw suggested.

Is this a repeatable bug or just something unique to my system?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Also - why is it when I select a mesh layer using the Move or Node Tool the software highlights the original object I created the mesh layer/object from - so if I want to move some Node I have to perform this action by proxy (ie. I have to move the original Node Point which then moves the new Node Point created by the Mesh)?

I may be misunderstanding what is meant here, but if I select the Warp Group layer, with the Node Tool selected I can select any or all of its nodes & move them by dragging on any of the selected nodes. That does not affect the original layer items, just the shape and/or position of the warp group.

Affinity Photo 

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, it's the same here, while they are in a Group the more you zoom in, the more shadow gets cut off. Zoom way out and you see all the shadows.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

41 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In that afdesign file, do you see parts of the shadow appear & disappear as you zoom the view in & out like I do? For instance, at 500% the black shadow almost completely disappears. This does not happen if I move the blue Group and the Warp Group out of their inclosing group like @markw suggested.

Yes that's what I'm seeing - or it sounds like it - but it tends to happen more on larger files

It also seemed to cut some of the shadow out as though the hidden rectangle layers I attached by accident were in front

Seems quite glitchy - but I have achieved a nice shadow effect with this feature now. I hope they can fix these issues because it doesn't seem very good as it stands and I would expect more for my buck if going forward. Seem to be a lot of bugs being highlighted so far so the question is will bugs be a regular feature going forward or will we get something a bit more alpha in the near future? Crashy apps no good to me - I have two crashes in the past week but nothing serious and no major work lost