You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize text frame both horizontally and vertically by double clicking the diagonal handles

You can currently resize text frames horizontally by double clicking the centre handles on the left or right hand side of the text box. The same goes for vertical resizing. I would like to also have a resize to smallest bounding box of the text by double clicking the handles at the corners of the text box (e.g. bottom left/ right). That would be convenient for example for reworking large text boxes for titles, which overlap with other text frames.

If you want to resize a text frame in both directions you're probably not using it for paragraphs of text but just something like a title as you mentioned. In this case you might consider choosing the new Layer > Convert to Art Text command. It's not in the context menu for some reason so you might have missed it.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

When you resize in one direction, there is only one possible outcome.

When you resize in both directions, there are many possible sizes that could result, so how would it know what size to actually make it?

It's the default in Adobe software, you resize text based on the horizontal and vertical size that the paragraph currently has (its boundig box). There's only one possible outcome. It actually doesn't affect the text or layout at all.

15 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

you resize text based on the horizontal and vertical size that the paragraph currently has (its boundig box)

That's Art Text in Affinity, not Frame Text, I think. Art Text can be multi-line, and conforms to the size of its bounding box.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That's Art Text in Affinity, not Frame Text, I think. Art Text can be multi-line, and conforms to the size of its bounding box.

Not necessarily, I may want to resize the box again, later for instance. It's just a convenient way to get large text boxes to a small size.

21 hours ago, fde101 said:

When you resize in both directions, there are many possible sizes that could result, so how would it know what size to actually make it?

The smallest (rectangular) perimeter for a given area of text would be a square, so the closest to a square.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The smallest (rectangular) perimeter for a given area of text would be a square,

???   Probably I've misunderstood you, but I would think that

image.png.70873a05316d28dd73bb94e45a2d17f9.png

has a smaller rectangular perimeter than any square you could draw around that text.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Using Arial 12pt I got it into three lines with more of a square shape and a smaller perimeter. The units are inches. This is from one line of text with a 2.518 inch perimeter.

1414020755_ScreenShot2022-12-04at12_51_58PM.png.20a32a934f964f287fb8e5f5ed3dd000.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

28 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Using Arial 12pt I got it into three lines with more of a square shape and a smaller perimeter.

Ah. I didn't think we were allowing a modification to the text, such as changing the number of lines.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Ah. I didn't think we were allowing a modification to the text, such as changing the number of lines.

That's my requedt and that's what Indesign does, it creates a rectangle (unless the text itself is more square). I don't care about the smalles possible size, I care about easily resizing the text box ☺️