You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publiser v2 text wrap indication?

One thing I really miss in Publisher V1 is the inability to show the extent of the text wrap around a graphic. It will sound bad if I say that InDesign does this  ... but it does - and it is so useful. In Publisher V1 (which I am using for paid projects, mostly happily), all I can do is change wrap values and see which way the text jumps. Tedious. Please say this has been addressed in v2!

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

Sounds like you're talking about the Edit Wrap Outline function, available even in Publisher V1:

image.png.3269f1320550cbd5fa26d6112e1582eb.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Wrap Style: tight.

Distance from text: 0

Text - Wrap - Adjust Wrap Outline:

1343956468_Screenshot2022-12-03at21_20_40.thumb.png.1c09e3c348982b8d4204f64daafda2f0.png

Adjust the wrap outline using the Node Tool.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I have tried that but it's not what I am looking for. In the attached example, I have set wrap to 6mm in the main Text Wrap dialogue. If I click 'Edit Wrap Outline' as I have in the screenshot, the outline is displayed around the boundary of the graphic shape, NOT at the perimeter of the wrap area, which I'd expect. If I grab a handle in the outline, it's pushing out the text 6mm from the outline and I still can't see exactly where! If I start with a tight wrap of 0 (zero) mm, I could manually adjust the outline, as in the example in the previous answer, but it's much faster for me in 95% of my work, to set the offset in the main Wrap dialogue and see quickly whee the wrap edge is (like, dare I say it, InDesign). And look at the second screenshot. How is one supposed to work with that?

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Roger Shufflebottom

www.avid-companion.co.uk

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @rogershuff,

Thanks for your post and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, rogershuff said:

In the attached example, I have set wrap to 6mm in the main Text Wrap dialogue. If I click 'Edit Wrap Outline' as I have in the screenshot, the outline is displayed around the boundary of the graphic shape, NOT at the perimeter of the wrap area, which I'd expect.

I agree, I would expect the 'Wrap Outline' to include any 'Distance from text' value, to be a clearer representation of the boundary the text is actually wrapping to - so I will be logging this with our developers now, as unfortunately the behaviour is the same in V2 currently.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, rogershuff said:

look at the second screenshot. How is one supposed to work with that?

I've not yet been able to replicate this behaviour using the tools within Publisher, is this occurring with an .IDML document imported from InDesign? Or can you please confirm your workflow within Publisher here?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!