You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer 2 keeps crashing when using shape builder tool

So I was using the shape builder tool and application keeps crashing and completely shutting down, I am on a windows based computer, windows 10. I did'nt have the problem yesterday, so i thought i would reboot computer and try again, but happened right away when i began using this file, I will attach file here.

Acrylic bowl design 1.afdesign

23 hours ago, YuconCarneleous said:

So I was using the shape builder tool and application keeps crashing and completely shutting down, I am on a windows based computer, windows 10. I did'nt have the problem yesterday, so i thought i would reboot computer and try again, but happened right away when i began using this file, I will attach file here.

Your file also causes crashes for me. This has not happened with my own files so far.
How was the graphic created? I have the impression that a pixel graphic was vectorised.

Possibly the many small artefacts confuse the App.

Crashes for me too, and has not happened with my files.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 12/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, Michail said:

Your file also causes crashes for me. This has not happened with my own files so far.
How was the graphic created? I have the impression that a pixel graphic was vectorised.

Possibly the many small artefacts confuse the App.

So I began by using diffent shapes and using the shape builder to tool to make one complex shape, then I did an array of this shape around a circle and again selected all  and began using the shape builder tool to get rid or add what i did'nt want, but all was done in affinity designer. But this is when i started having the problems, funny thing is today  did basically the same thing just different shapes used and no problems, mind blown.

11 hours ago, YuconCarneleous said:

But this is when i started having the problems, funny thing is today  did basically the same thing just different shapes used and no problems, mind blown.

But there weren't all these mini objects flying around before the second attempt. Were there?

I opened your file, selected all the layers and as soon as I selected the Shape Building Tool Designer crashed immediately, it just vanished.

I re-started Designer and it offered me to open the recovery file which I did. Since then, I can't crash Designer anymore. Shape Builder Tool works without any problem.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

My sessions often crash too when after I've used shape builder for a while during a session. I can reboot, open the recovery file, then continue for a while. Could therefor be a memory leak. Unfortunately, this is an issue that's hard to repeat, since I have to be in the session for a while before it crashes.

• Staff

Hi @YuconCarneleous,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate multiple crashes with this file when using the Shape Builder tool and therefore I've logged this with our developers as a bug now.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

The shapebuilder tool can hard crash when you tap a region as opposed to drag. So when the software fails to generate a full boundary (which you get as a preview), it seems to hard-crash. I know tapping a region isn't really the way the tool is used, but I can mimic Illustrator's Live Paint this way by 'paint bucket' filling shapes.

Just to let you know, shape builder is still crashing after the last fix. I was doing the exact same thing using the shape builder tool to make a shape and then doing a copy array around a circle to make a more complex shape and using the shape builder tool to customize the shape that i wanted, its always in this later stage that I get a hard crash.

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're both still having trouble here - so that I can update this development log, are you able to provide a screen recording showing the steps you're taking for me please?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

@Dan C here's a screen recording of a crash. This file consistently produces crashes for me so if you want to investigate it further, you could send me a dropbox link.

I see now that it is due to the delete unused areas option being checked, when creating new shapes. With this option turned off, it doesn't seem to crash. 😅 But it is a weird combination, since creating new shapes has nothing to do with deleting unused areas to begin with, so this option, I think, should be ignored.

I also suspect that when the file gets heavier, it is more prone to crash. I removed a bunch of layers that were unneccesary for this screencast and noticed that while it used to crash for roughly every 10 regions, it takes way more now.

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this for me, this doesn't appear similar to other Shape Builder issues with have logged with our developers currently, so a copy of your document would certainly be helpful here & can be uploaded to the below link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/VwWwHLhWJ6qIgqSMuxxr

Once uploaded, please let me know here :)

On 1/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, Intuos5 said:

I also suspect that when the file gets heavier, it is more prone to crash. I removed a bunch of layers that were unneccesary for this screencast and noticed that while it used to crash for roughly every 10 regions, it takes way more now.

Thanks for this information also, I'll be sure to test with the file as it is provided, then increase the 'weight' of the file and report my findings to the devs!

• Staff

Thank you for providing this also - I can confirm I'm able to replicate this crash here with the 'Clean up unused areas' option enabled, so I've logged this with our developers as a bug :)

So I too, am experiencing crashes using shape builder in my drawing. Up until this afternoon I was working fine; and now is repeatedly crashing when I attempt to combine multiple polygons into a new shape.  I will attempt to trim the file size (layers) and see if that makes a difference.

• Staff

Thanks for your screen recording provided @YuconCarneleous - I will be sure to pass this through to our team here now, to help reduce this behaviour in a future update.

Sorry to hear you're also having trouble @RENM, if you are able to reproduce this crash consistently, we'd appreciate a copy of your Affinity document or a screen recording showing these steps, such that I can log this with our devs also :)

• 3 weeks later...

I will try to create a screenshot when it does it again. What I have done to help out  is continuing to use the first version of V2 after experiencing real problems with the latest update. So a reinstall of the the first Designer 2 file. Also my file drawing was messy and HUGE, so I cleaned up the file size. That helped alot.