You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1 & 2 running concurrently

Hi Henry. Does it matter whether you drag v1 or v2 to your second monitor?

Are you able to drag it back to the first monitor and if so is it still locked up when dragged back?

Does this happen when no documents are open, too?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, henryg said:

If I try to run V1 & V2 at the same time, [edit] when I move one version to my second monitor it locks up and requires Task Manager to kill it.

Version 1 and 2 processes seem to use identical names. I wonder if this could explain these problems? I run frequently version 1 and 2 apps concurrently and have not experienced any regular problems, but running both versions simultaneously might actually explain some of the recent "not responding" kinds of issues. I also have not been able to always kill Affinity v2 processes from within Task Manager, which might also be explained by app versions sharing the process name.

Each app and each process gets its own PID. I do not believe that a programme name that exists more than once is the cause of the error. Besides, version 2 runs in a sandbox.

I can rather imagine that the driver for the iGPU is blocking here, if no dedicated GPU is used. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

45 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Each app and each process gets its own PID.

Yes, but Task Manager does not display PIDs, and I have noticed that non-responsive v2 apps cannot be killed properly from within Task Manager. The task is terminated (and the app closes), but I cannot relaunch a version 2 app unless I restart the computer. This is going back to the middle ages of the "Windows" of eighties (actually a DOS program) and I have not experienced this with ANY app on Windows (since 95) before. Needing to restart the computer to get an ill-behaving app launching again.

EDIT: Not that this means anything at all, but I have Photoshop CS6, CS6 64-bit, CC 2021, 2022 and 2023 installed on the same computer, but I cannot run them concurrently. If I try, I just get the already running instance activated.

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Serif has stated that you can run v1 and v2 concurrently without issues.

Thanks, good to know at least that this is intentional. I am nevertheless going to monitor if running the versions across has any correlation with apps becoming unresponsive. The new behavior of problems in ability to properly kill an Affinity v2 task is serious enough to make such monitoring worth while. 

3 hours ago, lacerto said:

Yes, but Task Manager does not display PIDs,

Sorry to say it, but my task manager tells me otherwise!

taskman.webp.b720e147aed5ca14113997c975de6333.webp

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Yes, you're right, and tasks are clearly separate in Task Manager, too. They do have identical task names, though (e.g. Photo.exe for both v1 and v2 processes), and there is a chance that concurrently running processes are incorrectly addressed just by name. Anyway, there is this task killing issue that is bothering v2 apps, and it might be related to having v1 and v2 tasks running concurrently and not addressed properly.

15 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Serif has stated that you can run v1 and v2 concurrently without issues.

And indeed they will, just not with one on my 2nd screen! BUT, and, oh dear oh dear etc, I now find that even if I move a single instance to my second monitor it freezes. Sorry to mislead everyone.

17 hours ago, Komatös said:

I can rather imagine that the driver for the iGPU is blocking here, if no dedicated GPU is used.

This could be it though. I have no dedicated GPU.

I can drag an open image to my second monitor with no problems, but now and again I would like a full second instance running alongside. Hence, I hoped that V1 & V2 might do this, not realising there would be a separate problem.

I just tested this on a Windows 11 laptop with only integrated GPU running Photo v1 (1.10.6) and v2 concurrently, having in both versions multiple windows part of which on main display, part on the extended one, and part sharing both displays, and did not experience any issues, so it is likely a driver issue 

2 hours ago, lacerto said:

... so it is likely a driver issue 

I already hinted at this in my first post.

11 minutes ago, Komatös said:

I already hinted at this in my first post.

Yes, I basically just posted to deny my earlier guesses as for possible causes of this issue, and to support assumption that this is not a bug in Affinity Photo (not when run concurrently, and not when running v1 or v2 independently but on two displays).

I've used a couple of driver update programs and both say my drivers are up to date, but I guess being up to date doesn't mean there is not an issue.

Win11x64 which is fully up to date to, and device manager shows no issues. Any suggestions of how to proceed would be appreciated.

Driver update programmes are rather suboptimal. Some of them have the bad habit of not giving you the latest drivers, but instead of doing so, they install unwanted advertising.

Please enter "dxdiag" in the search on the taskbar. The first result should be dxdiag "execute command" or similar. Please execute once, then click on the save button (it may also be called "Save all information").
Please attach the text file DxDiag.txt to your next post.

lJHiKFaU9J.thumb.gif.4dbb7c398a55c4d354bae776d97239f7.gif

On 12/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, Komatös said:

Driver update programmes are rather suboptimal. Some of them have the bad habit of not giving you the latest drivers, but instead of doing so, they install unwanted advertising.

Please enter "dxdiag" in the search on the taskbar. The first result should be dxdiag "execute command" or similar. Please execute once, then click on the save button (it may also be called "Save all information").
Please attach the text file DxDiag.txt to your next post.

See attached DXDiag.txt, and thank you for the help.

DxDiag.txt

Hello,

you can Run both Affinity Programms at the same Time. But keep in Mind, that any saved V2 File can only be opened in the V2. Even when you are not Using any of the new V2 Stuff. The File can NOT be opened in V1 in any way. To get this Function back, you must open the File in V2, copy everything and in V1 you must select "New from Clipboard" then you get the file. Save any V2 Files under a new Name or else you can´t open them with the V1 Version.

Maybe this will get fixed in the near future. 

10 minutes ago, Garden-User said:

Maybe this will get fixed in the near future. 

Unlikely, as it was intended to work this way, and they have said that it would be difficult to allow anything else.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Unlikely, as it was intended to work this way, and they have said that it would be difficult to allow anything else.

This is a joke right? What is so difficult? If an only V2 Feature is used, the flag for not opening in V1 will be set. If not then NOT. It is the same File-Type. They should change this to afphotov2 or something else because now you can BREAK your template files in the evaluation time. 

26 minutes ago, Garden-User said:

What is so difficult?

Only Serif really knows that, and they have said it's difficult. I trust their judgment in this area.

26 minutes ago, Garden-User said:

They should change this to afphotov2

The problem with that is they would need many new file-types/extensions: .afphoto2, .afdesign2, .afpub2, .afassets2, .afbrushes2, .afstyles2, ....

27 minutes ago, Garden-User said:

because now you can BREAK your template files in the evaluation time. 

True. That is a problem. They are fixing that problem by providing something like the warning message that V1 provides when you open a production file in a beta version. There, you are warned that opening the file in the beta may break it for production use, and are offered choices of continuing, making a copy first and working on the (unnamed) copy, or canceling. I expect we'll see a similar message for opening a V1 file using V2. The safe choice will be Copy.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Only Serif really knows that, and they have said it's difficult. I trust their judgment in this area.

I mean they have there Reasons, but come on. They should explain it.

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The problem with that is they would need many new file-types/extensions: .afphoto2, .afdesign2, .afpub2, .afassets2, .afbrushes2, .afstyles2, ....

I mean it is there decision to break compatibility with V1. 

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

True. That is a problem. They are fixing that problem by providing something like the warning message that V1 provides when you open a production file in a beta version.

Yeah and they should either use the Beta-Feature OR look what the competition makes: Make a Checkbox that says "Compatibility with V1" and then the NEW Features of V2 will be converted to a Pixel-Form so that V1 Users can open the File. For icing on the cake they can make it that V1 gets the Pixel-Form of it while V2 can still be Edit the new Feature. I mean Even now the Photoshop CC can export an psd-File all the way down to CS2... 

2 hours ago, Garden-User said:

I mean they have there Reasons, but come on. They should explain it.

I doubt they will explain anything in detail about the code changes made for the V2 apps, just like they were not willing to do so for the V1 apps. It is no different for Adobe or any other commercial developer wanting to protect their intellectual property.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, henryg said:

See attached DXDiag.txt, and thank you for the help.

DxDiag.txt 94.72 kB · 1 download

Please download the latest Intel iGPU driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?wapkw=i5 8500

• 1 month later...