You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to disable export preview?

I don't really need the cpu extra processing. so I thought there must be an option.
eg exporting w=10800 px it takes too long anyway and
cpu goes up to 100% loosing that for other bg rendering tasks.

so an simple on/off switch would be welcome, eg. even remembering the export format (what is useful for eg gif isn't for large images).

thx,

s

16 hours ago, sb101 said:

how to disable export preview?

Just ignore it.

You don't need to wait for the preview to appear

Just choose what settings you want and click the Export button

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, sb101 said:

but I search for an option to disable it

There isn't one. You could make a Feature Request, but I don't think this would count as a bug (where you've posted this query).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Unbelievable 😲😳, it took several years to get Serif to add a export preview, and now it's remove it or provide a toggle to disable it?

Export Preview

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Our app, when possible will utilise any available resources. So taking the CPU to 100% to draw the canvas and then draw the export preview is fairly expected to be honest. Windows will give and take resources whenever an app asks for it. The only time I'd be concerned is if the app goes to a Not Responding state or crashes. Moving to feedback.

Personally, I would also appreciate to have an option to disable export preview. For some jobs, export preview is essential, for others, it’s not. In the latter case, the presence of export preview creates needless friction to the workflow. We are all conditioned to perceive a spinning wheel (animated “busy” icon) as an indicator that we have to wait for a process to complete until we get the result we want.

Though we do not really have to wait in the present case, it still “feels” not right to hit the Okay (“Write export file to disk”) button before the preview is rendered completely. There’s a psychological hurdle to do so, originating from our experience with “busy” icons elsewhere. Inexperienced users who don’t know about modern CPU management might not even know that they can press the Okay button before the preview is complete.

For all of these reasons — and yes, they are “soft,” psychological reasons, in distinction to “hard,” technical ones, but nonetheless, they shape the user experience! —, I would suggest that you simply add a little checkbox to the export dialog allowing to disable export preview. Hope that makes sense. 🙂

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

... I would suggest that you simply add a little checkbox to the export dialog allowing to disable export preview. Hope that makes sense. 

If I had a wish, I would not wish for an on/off switch, but for the preview to be displayed more quickly :12_slight_smile:.

The usual formats take between less than 1 second (JPEG) and 6 seconds (PDF) for a 13 MP image. But GIF takes the cake. The preview lasts a whopping 42 seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

The preview is a useful feature but can get in the way.

I searched for an on/off toggle when exporting several large prints in Designer with different ardboards.

On export, the dropdown to select the artboard does not respond for a few seconds due to beachballing for the preview. (MBP M1 Max 64GB)

in books, there is export also with preview. Sadly, it does not remember area settings (stupid idiotic setting that is always set to default and all the time i have to change it) and after switching, it takes 20-30s to unfreeze the .... preview. 

So yea. After exporting 20 books, yes, this setting is a must have.

This is driving me mad. Very mad. combined with that books are constantly freezing, not updating, not possible to save until next restart of application.

Well, of course, you can zoom in on the export preview to inspect your fine details. So that’s not an argument in favor of the request that there should be a button to turn export preview off.

I think the main argument remains that (a) export preview is not necessary for all jobs, and in such cases (b) creates needless UI friction by imposing a psychological hurdle to the user against quickly pressing the Export button. It is a simply a psychological fact that we are all trained to wait and expect something when we see a spinning wheel icon on a screen, even if we know that, in a particular instance, this spinning wheel icon does not tell us anything and does not want to make us wait with respect to our next action. Good UI/UX design should understand the importance of such psychological facts.

A toggle switch, two lines of code to hide the left panel of the export dialog – this should be done in a moment. Would it be so difficult to add this?

Toggle.thumb.png.9c9192908d566b764ce89a42e74960a7.png

• 11 months later...

+1 for toggle on/off.
I already had complex files to completely lock Affinity with a beachball of death for a minute or so while the M2 CPU was going full red zone… 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

+1 for my to, for some images yes, but mostlye not needed.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came here to pitch in... And yes would be greatly appreciated to have an on/off.

Im giving you my use case:
Im working on designer, doing an expo front and back cards of people with irl measures. So 180cm x 90cm more or less. Dont @ me its a requirement from the photographer of the expo. Im doing 30 of them. I have to save and convert and export from .psd, to tiff doing my own layout in designer.

I have a M2 with 24gb of ram. The export preview just stalls the machine (I do full high res renders(3D) in it, its a beast of a machine), i have to wait so i can change my settings (cus i want tiff not png).

So for ones working in printing format this isnt really a niche thing, its why people buy the software. Ok most of people arguing do digital work, but some of us also do irl work and why we have the software.
So a simple toggle (cus i also use this feature in my web work) would suffice because right now its more than a paper cut, it hinders productivity.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, Michail said:

As far as I know, that is not possible.
Just out of curiosity: why do you want to hide the export preview?
Perhaps the export via the Export Persona is an alternative for you.

The workaround might get overlooked easily: export Persona does not have preview and probably solves the (performance) issue in many cases.

Never the less, I support this feature request.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.