You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with PDF exporting when stitching multiple PDF files together on one paper

grapher

usecase: stitching A4-like cuts for my wife on our A1 printer - i take PDF, drop in on the paper, select pages and copy them around and move precisely to match the borders. So far so good.

then i want to export and all breaks. PNG/JPG previews Fine(1.JPG), when i hit export to PDF, transparent bg shows in export preview (2.JPG). When i export, i got same error as in test.pdf. Nomatter if its PDFs are embedded or linked. Plenty of RAM, plenty of disk space.

Cannot publicly add the cut here because of copyrights, but if anyone contacts me from serif, i can send it privately for examination.

Also, some times after export in version 2 the whole view f... up and i see only first pages of the PDF allaround as i never changed it to other pages with no possibility to step back.

(in version 1 no problem. all exports fine and without problems)

To be honest, i think the new export in PDF is somehow broken, i have problems with it all the time, in publisher it crashes often, when im exporting the book, here aswell problems.... 

2.JPG

1.JPG

test.pdf

Hi grapher,

i am not sure if this may help. You say this works fine in v1.

But maybe it is no ideal approach to place the cuts in different little artboards (?) and trying to export all artboards into one large pdf page? Maybe it would be better to choose a large document format right from the start that could be processed by the printer directly - in your case DIN A1. Then place the cuts 1:1 on the large document page and export this page to pdf?

And of course, there seem to be several bugs with the pdf export as posted by other users.

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

similar problems here:

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

12 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @grapher,

Could you provide me with your original .afdesign document which fails to stitch together on PDF export? I've added a private dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/IlPZtkk6Oz4pvfmcJk1m

Many thanks!

You have it there. I had to re-do the stitching to have fresh v.2.0 file. Export window looks same as i posted in my original post. Posted aswell the PDF i was stitching.

• Staff

Hi @grapher,

After exporting your file using the PDF (For Print) export preset on Mac and Windows, both have exported successfully to PDF without fragmenting in the final document. However, I had exported  PDF documents Missing/Unlinked, since the re-link caused every placed instance of the stitch to duplicate to the same initial PDF Page (which would require me to go through every instance and update the page number).

Could you confirm if the same happens if the linked resources are converted with embedded and also provide me with an embedded version of the document (same dropbox link)?

Thanks!

• Staff
15 hours ago, grapher said:

i can confirm, that after embedding all instances resetted to page ONE.
Cannot confirm successfull export via standard forprint preset (see the two PDFs, one with embedded, one with linked)

Many thanks for providing me with the files, I've been able to replicate this with your embedded file (even after changing the resources to linked) and I've now logged this with the developers.