You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Straight lines in vector art get messed up when exporting to .png or .jpg format in Affinity version 1

I've tried to find answers to this issue, but couldn't find anything. I can't export vector art from Affinity Designer, nor Affinity Photo (V1) without straight lines becoming distorted. The output has to be .png. My standard file dimensions are 36 inches wide by 24 inches high, at 300 dpi. The exported file size is not large - 250K. Because of print limitations, the art is designed in CMYK, then exported using an sRBG ICC profile (because that's what I've been told to do.)

Is this a known issue, and has it been fixed in version 2? I haven't downloaded version 2 yet because I'm waiting until I have time (most likely  after the holidays) to learn the new version and set it up a new computer. Would rather avoid having to install it on my current system.

See the attached file. All of these weird looking lines are straight lines - no curves. 

Operating System: Windows 10ColorBlocks2023.thumb.png.631f0a19ff8797c18d253ade7ff5fdd9.png

22 minutes ago, deeds said:

very odd.

Can you export as PDF, and see if that's distorted, too?

If not, then use another app to convert the PDF to png, I'd suggest. 

This kind of workaround should not be necessary though, should it? ETA: I've run into something similar before with a curved line, and printing to PDF didn't help. :shrug: 

I fixed the problem on my own, through a bunch of trial and error. 

12 minutes ago, stepfull said:

This kind of workaround should not be necessary though, should it? 

Absolutely agree!

Should not be necessary. But if you gotta get it to a printer or someone else on a deadline, today, whatever you gotta do is what ya gotta do. Can fight with Affinity to fix it if it's a bug later.

other work arounds:

because this has no angles that are not updown/leftright, you can export at lower resolutions and then upscale it in another app without loss... just gotta find the biggest you can export from Affinity without the distortion. 

Try going down in steps, divide the output resolution by 4, 8, 16, 32, until you get one without distortion, then use another app to upscale by the amount that worked. This should still give you tight, pixel perfect edges, if you use nearest neighbour upscaling.

3 minutes ago, deeds said:

Absolutely agree!

Should not be necessary. But if you gotta get it to a printer or someone else on a deadline, today, whatever you gotta do is what ya gotta do. Can fight with Affinity to fix it if it's a bug later.

Fortunately not on a deadline. I just don't enjoy spending hours trying to fix what seem like export problems. It is what it is. Thanks!

5 hours ago, stepfull said:

See the attached file

Can you please upload the original *.afdesign document? Or a similar one that suffers the same symptoms. thanks

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, BofG said:

It's probably a pixel alignment issue in the source document.

Concerning the thin gray lines between objects I agree, it also could be fixed by aligning the stroke not inside but centred (and requires a different workflow / calculation).

Concerning the reduced line width it doesn't look like a pixel alignment issue, considering the resolution: The affected stroke width deviation is quite large, e.g. 14 px, respectively 25 px, and it occurs independent of antialiasing, which is not used in all these areas and is 1 px width only were it appears (left: yes, right: no).

1929550344_linepngartefacts2.jpg.e71cf4ece4e4e11fb9ef5d96ba54cff8.jpg909575240_linepngartefacts1.jpg.c6978ad8db85be84aab68bb62606607b.jpg

5 hours ago, stepfull said:

I fixed the problem on my own, through a bunch of trial and error.

– How did you fix it?
– Did you detect the culprit of this occurrence?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem with STRAIGHT lines. No curves. I create a good image in Designer. Lines are 2px in width. Then I export to SVG and the exterior lines are very thin. Export to PNG is fine but SVG is incorrect. Tried many options and then had to go to Canva, of all places, to get it correct.

41 minutes ago, Larry61 said:

I have a similar problem with STRAIGHT lines. No curves. I create a good image in Designer. Lines are 2px in width. Then I export to SVG and the exterior lines are very thin. Export to PNG is fine but SVG is incorrect.

I'm not seeing that... exporting a 2 px straight line to SVG remains at 2 px when exported to SVG when the file is re-opened in Designer...

How are you viewing your exported SVG files, in 3td party software or via a web browser?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse