You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2 Designer Warp Perspective crash and error report

Sunset

Just installed Designer 2 on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro, 16Gb, played with gradient fill, slice (brilliant) shape builder (love it) and warp perspective on text "mouse". I added one new node too many (attempting to create a tail for the mouse...) and the program closed.

I have the error report for Apple if that is any help to you.

The file seems to have restored OK but I notice that I can't carry on warping in the same way because I saved the file when I restored it. (logical)

affinity-design-2-mouse1.afdesign

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

23 minutes ago, Sunset said:

I can't carry on warping in the same way

Looking at your document right now:
You need to select the warp group with the Node tool. Then you can move, add or remove nodes, from the context toolbar you can change the mode, or remove warp altogether.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thank you for that, I could continue to warp with the node tool selected, but I noticed a few times that if you warp, then work with another element, then go back to warp, it changes the effect, as if it has a horizontal line through the letters and moves the top and lower halves of the letters in different ways.  BUT - good news, I have worked out that I just need to go through the layers to find the point where I left off, and now I can continue to warp nicely. I think I can see why it was spitting the letters, too.

An interesting first look at warp. The issue, of course, was when the program suddenly closed.

Thank you for your advice.

Hilary

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Hi @Sunset,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I've tried replicating the crash with your file and thus far I have been unable to, my apologies.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:37 AM, Sunset said:

I have the error report for Apple if that is any help to you.

If you could please provide this, it may certainly be useful - equally if you are able to repeat this crash within your file on your machine, are you able to provide a short screen recording showing the steps you're taking to trigger this?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

HI,

No problems, I knew you'd get here eventually :)

Here is the Apple report. I have tried to reproduce the crash, but I can't. Sorry!

Hilary (Sunset)

Designer 2 Crash.docx Designer 2 Crash.docx

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me Hilary, I'll be sure to forward these to our team here for you now -  we've already made improvements and bug fixes for Warp Groups in the latest Designer beta (2.0.3) so hopefully this update should reduce the crashing behaviour.

If this issue returns for you, please don't hesitate to let me know here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the forums @Collizma & our apologies for the delayed response here,

On 12/17/2022 at 6:26 AM, Collizma said:

I have figured out that for windows 11 when you select multiple nodes then move them it will crash the application

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I have tried replicating this issue and thus far have been unable - are you able to provide a screen recording showing this occurring for me?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

14/01/23
Im having crashing problems on Affinity Designer 2.03 MacOs 10.15.7 trying to use Warp tool=>Mesh and so as I add extra point on mesh everything crashes. I have not had a pop up of reporting to apple, the first time it happened Im not sure it sent it idled so long did not see it go away while getting documents back up on designer. 5 crashes so far. I have tinkered in using warp when I got V2 and may have had one crash cannot remember. I had a flag I was trying to wave in this latest crashes and I got an ok version but thought I could do better when previewing it. Warp you cannot go back to original version, it opens up new of same type eg Mesh. So I had a few versions on the rectangle. I converted it into a curve and it crashed...just figured this could be reason so checking while I write...no it does it on rectangles as well.

edited: Opened same document Warp Tool->Mesh->then clicked on normal grid, it worked then tried adding another node then designer crashed.
Edited: Warp dosent scale down too well, tried warp at scale I want and used mesh and then did normal for awhile and then I added anoter node grid mesh and it did not crash

Crash Affinity designer 203 14Jan23.pdf

Edited by Myke
added another finding

Hi Myke,

When I tried this after the update it seemed to be OK. I had problems when I extended the Mesh "too far", I was adding points, too. When I restarted the program I couldn't take the mesh back to its original state to try again. I have tried to recreate your issue but no success. I have found that if I go from Mesh to Perspective and back to Mesh I lose the ability to add new nodes, but that returned after I clicked 'Apply'.  I tried it again, after another 'Apply' and I can't add any more nodes - not a crash, just no new nodes. At one point my element just disappeared off the page but reappeared when I used Command+Z. NOTE: when I tried to add new nodes I did get minute breaks in the bounding box - and I really do mean minute - but when I clicked away and reselected the mesh the bounding box was complete again. You can just see two tiny breaks near the bottom of the bounding line in this image. This I CAN reproduce, every time, with this file on my MacBook Pro 2021.

Hilary

image.png

Mesh Warp Points.afphoto

My Flickr Album

• Staff

Hi @Myke,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Are you able to provide a screen recording showing the steps you're taking within your document, that causes this crash?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

@Sunset/Hilary - the above user is referring to the Warp Groups within Affinity Designer, which function differently to the Mesh Warp/Perspective Tool in Affinity Photo.
It's expected behaviour that the Perspective Tool in Affinity Photo doesn't allow you to add additional nodes to the warp controls, but as mentioned these return when switching back to the Mesh Warp Tool.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:56 PM, Sunset said:

NOTE: when I tried to add new nodes I did get minute breaks in the bounding box - and I really do mean minute - but when I clicked away and reselected the mesh the bounding box was complete again. You can just see two tiny breaks near the bottom of the bounding line in this image. This I CAN reproduce, every time

What you're seeing here are 'Patch points' which can be added by single clicking in the Mesh Warp grid. 
From the helpfile:

Patch warping is achieved by clicking in an area contained by mesh lines and dragging the circle—this warps the entire area.

As your canvas background is white, you cannot see the full circle control being added, in the below screenshot I have added a background colour behind your Pixel layer, so this circle can be seen clearer -

image.png

This Patch Point can then be dragged, similar to a node, to warp the Pixel layer.

If you wish to add a node to the Mesh Warp Tool grid, you'll need to double click.

I hope this clears things up :)

EDIT - My apologies, I forgot to mention that I will however be logging this with our developers, to see if we can change this tool from using white circles as the indicator, as these can't clearly be seen with a white/transparent background.

Please note -

Many thanks!

A relevant fragment from the crash log:

Process:               Affinity Designer 2 [20477]
Path:                  /Applications/Affinity Designer 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Designer 2
Identifier:            com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner2
Version:               2.0.3 (2.0.3)
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-01-23 21:51:02.3131 +0000
OS Version:            macOS 13.1 (22C65)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        F2C40F47-345B-9F25-47DD-47D7AE16CCF8

Sleep/Wake UUID:       503DA0AD-AA1B-43C4-BA7E-12F8F2274F48

Time Awake Since Boot: 320000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       603 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000014
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000014

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [20477]

VM Region Info: 0x14 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 105553518919660
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      MALLOC_NANO (reserved)   600018000000-600020000000 [128.0M] rw-/rwx SM=NUL  ...(unallocated)

Kernel Triage:
VM - pmap_enter retried due to resource shortage

Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x10678d54c Geometry::CurveDbl::AddNode(Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode const&, bool, bool) + 44
1   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x10678db6c Geometry::CurveDbl::AddNodes(std::__1::vector<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode, std::__1::allocator<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode> > const&, bool) + 64
2   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x10678db6c Geometry::CurveDbl::AddNodes(std::__1::vector<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode, std::__1::allocator<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode> > const&, bool) + 64
3   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x1067c49d0 Geometry::MeshCurve::SetNodes(Kernel::PointT<double> const&, Kernel::PointT<double> const&, std::__1::vector<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode, std::__1::allocator<Geometry::CurveDbl::CurveNode> > const&) + 124
4   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x1067d324c Geometry::Mesh::GetPatch(unsigned long, unsigned long, Geometry::MeshPatch&) const + 212
5   liblibgeometry.dylib          	       0x1067d3144 Geometry::Mesh::GetPatch(Kernel::PointT<int>, Geometry::MeshPatch&) const + 56
6   liblibpersona.dylib           	       0x12cbea1a0 MeshWarpCurveHandle::OnClicked(HandleTool&, ToolPointSpread const&) + 656
7   liblibpersona.dylib           	       0x12cbea6dc non-virtual thunk to MeshWarpCurveHandle::OnClicked(HandleTool&, ToolPointSpread const&) + 16
8   liblibpersona.dylib           	       0x12edb68f4 HandleTool::OnClicked(ToolPointSpread const&, Raster::AffineTransform::Params const&) + 184
9   liblibpersona.dylib           	       0x12d6b0e5c Tool::MouseUp(ToolPointView const&, unsigned int) + 1040
10  liblibaffinity.dylib          	       0x10ea10e34 Affinity::LegacyDocumentViewController::MouseUp(Kernel::Counted<Tool>, Kernel::PointT<float> const&, ToolPointView const&, unsigned int) + 408

I placed a PDF, added a mesh region, and then clicked on the border. This should be adding a new control point, but it crashes.

Attached is a screen recording.

Thank you, Ross, and others, I'm sorry I couldn't reply earlier, I had a deadline to write a presentation!

Ross, nice work. If I remember rightly, before I saved the mesh warp I'm quite sure that I could add a node with one click: before I saved I got a 'node', it was nothing with white on white or anything like that. It was only after saving that I got the marks on the line where the node should have been.

Hilary

My Flickr Album

• Staff
20 hours ago, Ross Burton said:

I can replicate this crash on my M1 MBA with a trivial reproducer, clicking the border of a mesh warp on a plain rectangle.

Thanks for confirming that for me Ross, I'll be sure to update our development report regarding this now :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem on a 2019 16" MacBook.  When I click to add a node while in warp > Mesh, Affinity Designer 2 immediately crashes every single time.  It doesn't matter whether I have the node tool enabled or not.  I have not successfully been able to use themes tool a single time without crashing on the first click.

My computer:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
MacOS Version: 13.2.1 (22D68)
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 1916.80.2.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.3045.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 564.40.4~66

Apple crash report attached as well as video of crash.

Affinity designer 2 mesh tool caused crash report.txt

• Staff

Hi @kittyridge,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to see you're having trouble!

I can confirm this issue is still logged with our development team, I will be sure to 'bump' this with your post here, to bring it to our devs attention once again.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...