You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 Photo brush engine - laggy and broken for me

Hi

Win10, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16Gigs of Ram

with that configuration I am able to easily wield even very large or complex brushes in CSP, e.g. Or in Photo V1...

The brush engine in AP2 is a mess, though.
A lag of several seconds with most of the brushes which is so bad that I can't even change the brush anymore. If I manage to make marks after a while I repeatedly found that newly selected brushes don't make any marks any longer. I need to start a new document and close the previous one to be able to make a brush mark with the same brush I kept selected all the time while creating a new document.

So...what on earth is going on, here? This can't be the new V2 brush engine, cause for me it feels like an early alpha of a sparetime solo project. Anybody else experience this?

Same... on my PC and laptop... the laptop is a i7 10th gen... in Affinity Designer too and if the brush is big, the screen comes black from the bottom of the brush, like some kind of glitch... if you move the pen around the black part fallows the brush. I REALLY REALLY want those apps to work! I bought AP and AD v1 to stop using adobe, jump to V2 day 1... bought brushes to move from Pen Tool Sai for my illustrations... but looks like they need more time to improve the apps...

On 12/3/2022 at 8:49 AM, cgidesign said:

I have a similar issue when the graphics display and APh preferences - tools is set to Windows Ink. With low or high precision it works ok.

Other apps though work fine with Windows Ink.

Win 10, Nivida graphics card, Huion pen display.

Where would I find those?

When I go to "performance" in the settings I can't find the options you describe. Is that in another dialogue somewhere?

I see. Unfortunately, it was already set to low precision.

I have to say, in the current state the brush engine is unusable for me. It's a pity, because I actually really liked using affinity for illustration and digital painting...😞

This is so weird. For me V2 even works when I limit my notebook CPU to base frequency. It not super fast but ok then.

Do you use an Nvidia or AMD GPU?

Several posts in this forum indicate that there might be issues with GPU opencl acceleration in V2. I am not sure but it might be more often with AMD GPUs.

Anyway. Check in:

[Preferences]->[Performance] and disable [Hardware acceleration]

Maybe that helps.

Or if you use an Nvidia GPU:

Maybe installing driver 526.98 solves it without disabling hardware acceleration (you find the drivers on the nvidia.com homepage). I am using 526.98 Studio driver and it works on Windows 10 21H2 (every nvidia driver between 517.48 and 526.98 has opencl issues confirmed by nvidia but I don't know If those issues are relevant for Affinity).

Furthermore I am using my PC as an Administrator but don't know if it makes a difference using it as a standard user.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried that too, but it is still unusable with big brushes. It keeps the brush preview loaded at all times, UI is unresponsive and I am stuck with a sticky brush preview that does not paint.

So, it is not only laggy. It  is broken.

Only way out each time is to close the Application. It seems there is no actual crash. If I close it, it asks me nicely if I want to save. There is something really wrong with the brush engine. Is there any way to get support to take a look at this?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @mkayi,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please open the Affinity app then provide a screenshot of your settings under Edit > Preferences > Performance and Edit > Preferences > Tools for me?

Are you using a drawing tablet with Affinity? If so, what make and model is in use please?

Do you see similar issues when using the Mouse as the input device, or only when using the aforementioned drawing tablet?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for getting back to me about this - I completeley understand delays in the wake of a big update! Please find the two screenshots below. I use the German localization, but I guess you will be able to make sense of the entries.

I use a XPpen artist pro 15.6, which is connected to the computer (sysinfo first post!) via HMDI and USB. Other software I use with this setup is Clip Studio Paint which of course also lags should I use giant brushes on a high dpi monster canvas, but it always stays responsive. There's other software I use with this setup like Blender or Sketchbook Pro, but CSP is closest in scope and application. In general I would say that compared to Clip Studio Paint my main problem right now is that I can't tell what is going to happen at which brush size when I use Affinity Photo. I know when I ask much of CSP's engine and can act accordingly. In Affinity I am not only like "Really? This brush sends you over the edge?!", but also once it happens, I am stuck with the unresponsive brush preview and have to close the app.

thanks for looking into this!

image.png.16ff5c172da483cfea17885ae04f6eb2.png

image.png

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me and for your understanding!

I'd recommend downloading the latest driver directly from Nvidia, installing this using the 'clean install' method, then restart your PC and try using Affinity once again.

Equally, please ensure your XP Pen driver is fully up-to-date & within this driver I'd recommend unticking 'Windows Ink' if you haven't already done such - 

XP-Pen-Driver-Disable-Windows-Ink-Option

Can you also please open Affinity and navigate to Help > About and let me know what version number is shown in this dialog?

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/17/2023 at 7:05 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @mkayi,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please open the Affinity app then provide a screenshot of your settings under Edit > Preferences > Performance and Edit > Preferences > Tools for me?

Are you using a drawing tablet with Affinity? If so, what make and model is in use please?

Do you see similar issues when using the Mouse as the input device, or only when using the aforementioned drawing tablet?

Many thanks in advance :)

image.jpg

By the way!! The drawing display I got is a Huion Kamvas Pro 16… everything is up to date… it's laggy, and also the display error that occurred (video) I thought was my kamvas being faulty! Then it happened on my screen... It's slow on my PC too, It's a Ryzen 5600 with 32 gigs of ram and 2 Zotac 1080 ti Amp extreme... SLI or not it's slow... The PC is not top-of-the-line, but I think is good enough to handle designer and photos...

• Staff

Hi @Marcelino Amauris Mosquea,

Many thanks for providing these for me and my apologies for the delayed response!

The behaviour shown in your screen recording is certainly strange and not an issue I've come across previously.

Can you please untick Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of the Performance dialog you have shown above, then restart the Affinity app and let me know if this resolves this issue from occurring?

I can see you have set your RAM limit to 6GB, but with 32GB available on your system I would increase this value in the same dialog to at least 16GB.

As above, I'd also recommend ensuring your GPU drivers are directly up to date from the manufactures website, and perform a clean install on these drivers to remove any conflicts.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

I am updating my drivers right now - seems I have neglected those for quite a while, but otoh everything was running smooth and I'll be damned if I thought that was the right moment to install new drivers, lol.

Anyway, while I wait for the downloads, I actually never unchecked "windows ink" before. Not sure what that does when it's checked/unchecked. Can someone explain?

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm very glad to hear this!

5 hours ago, mkayi said:

I actually never unchecked "windows ink" before. Not sure what that does when it's checked/unchecked. Can someone explain?

This is briefly covered in our helpfile - https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Extras/penTablet.html?title=Using pen tablets

Windows Ink—provides similar quality to High Precision but is used for tablets which don't support High Precision. Windows Ink mode must be enabled in the tablet driver settings.

As I understand it, it is essentially a 'fall back' mode which uses Windows input implementation, when High Precision cannot be used. As your XP Pen supports High Precision, we'd recommend using this option, but leaving Windows Ink enabled in the driver when using High Precision mode in Affinity can cause issues, hence we recommend disabling it.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

I certainly understand and you're very welcome :D

Please note -

Many thanks!