You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke on Text Missing Sections

2amrose

After multiple attempts and different fonts, I am observing that after expanding a stroke it is removing the inner section of the text (varies from words and font types).  I am having to use the previous version to add strokes to fonts for my drop shadows.

affinity-designer-2-expand-stroke.png.5a0cd616d968eaf1e215eba66c38627b.pngaffinity-designer-expand-stroke.png.a3288544201d555f5715e9cad524e19b.png

Hi @2amrose

Please set in the stroke settings align to outside before use Expand stroke.

image.png.b8b434edadfbe9b52a235c094613893c.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

Hi @2amrose,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Can you please confirm for me, which fonts are you finding are affected by this issue?

On 12/6/2022 at 1:21 AM, MiMiLi said:

The font used to create the curves in my screenshot is Adobe Caslon Pro 180pt with a 2pt stroke aligned to the outside.

Thanks for verifying that for me! I've been able to replicate this issue with the stroke set to either Inside or Outside (though centre worked correctly) so I'll be getting this logged with our developers now :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 5 months later...

Well, here we are, more than five months later. The 2.1 update is now out and this problem has still not been addressed. It has become quite aggravating, seeing as the majority of my work requires me to keep V1 installed so that I can expand the stroke correctly (COPY - SWITCH TO V1 - PASTE - EXPAND - COPY - SWITCH TO V2 - PASTE - REPEAT AD NAUSEAM). Having shelled out for the entire suite, I really do want to like this product, but bug fixes seem to be taking a backseat to new features. This is the first bug that I've actually checked in 2.1, so I'm hoping that I won't be equally disappointed when I begin to check the other bugs I have encountered and endured throughout the life of V2.0.

• Staff

I'm certainly sorry to hear this @MiMiLi / @2amrose and I can absolutely understand the frustrations with the additional steps you're taking currently.

I have 'bumped' this with our development team to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this helps.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:22 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for verifying that for me! I've been able to replicate this issue with the stroke set to either Inside or Outside (though centre worked correctly) so I'll be getting this logged with our developers now :)

I also have this issue. Aligning the stroke to center does not help, as mentioned in the post above. Running AD 2.1 here.

@Hans Johnson it seems to work differently depending on the particular font that you use. On some fonts, aligning to center fixes the problem, but on others it does not. I do get different results using the same font when I change the stroke alignment, but generally none of them work correctly with the fonts I use most often. You can see on the attached screenshot that both the A and the ampersand have issues after expanding the stroke with center alignment, but only the A has issues when the stroke is aligned either to the inside or the outside. The stroke width also seems to have an impact. Using the same font at the same size, but increasing the stroke width from 2pts to 5pts, the issue disappears on both the A and the ampersand. The ampersand actually begins to appear correctly at a much lower stroke width...I believe it was 2.5pts.🤷‍♀️

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 10.18.58 AM.png

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @TheGeekYouNeed,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

Unfortunately our development team don't tend to provide specific ETA's for issues until they have been resolved in our internal/external beta versions - my apologies.

I will be sure to 'bump' this issue with our team to bring it to their attention once again and we hope to have this resolved in a future update.

I hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I've just purchased the full affinity design suite, and was hoping to find a resolution to this a similar issue I'm having with strokes on serifs of my fonts. This still seems unresolved regardless of whether I centre or outside align the strokes. Are there any other workarounds or steps I can take? 

I need other software to recognise the stroke weight added when exported as an SVG. 

I switched from Adobe and this is extremely problematic for my workflow as I don't have other software to revert back to. 

Hoping you can help!

Pasted Graphic 2.png

Pasted Graphic 1.png

These Expand Stroke errors often occur when placing two Nodes on top of each other, or when the curve is unnaturally curved. Try to provide the same screenshots with the selected Node Tool.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @KKalma,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. The only workaround I know when several letters are affected is to enlarge (scale up) the text (or document depending on the case/convenience) x times, expand the strokes while the text is big, then scale down again the same factor.
Any chance you can provide one of your fonts (the one shown on your screenshot above) to add to out report/logs to be checked/tested against new code? Thanks.