Sign in to follow this  
Constrict

Adding a point to a line with the Pen Tool

Hi all. I´m feeling slightly dumb but I cannot figure out how to add points to an existing shape. I have simple rectangle and wish to add points along the rectangle edge. I have tried all the usual suspects (holding alt, ctrl, cmd etc) but all I get to do is start a new shape. Any tips?

Cheers, Colin

Hi Colin,

The first thing to note is that you need your object to be a curve in order to manipulate its curves - our 'shape' objects have parameters that can be adjusted and as such aren't just curves. So, for example, draw a Rounded Rectangle shape, choose 'Layer'->'Convert to curves' and then go to the Node Tool. Simply click anywhere along the curve to add a point. If you'd prefer, use the Pen Tool to draw your object, now hold down Command and you are temporarily placed in the Node Tool, so just click anywhere on the curve while holding Command to add a point.

The Node and Pen Tools are very powerful, but once you get to know them, they'll be like second-nature :)

Hope that gets you started :)

Matt

Matt, thanks alot! Worked like a charm! :)

I am discovering new features by the minute that are all very well crafted! Hat off to the whole team! :)

- Colin

As a follow up question, I am also trying to delete an edge between two points (opening up the shape) - I expect this to be a part of the node tool as well but cant seem to find the correct function.