You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MyBug #2 - Positioning + copy/paste -> quality issues

Quality with positioning is terrible. In the video i just copy and paste some objects into a new document and all is blurry. I also switch between the documents, both 400% zoomed. Position is 0.5 pixels (see it in transformation panel). It should never happen! A PIXEL is a PIXEL! I turned on and of the decimal numbers in the settings but it seems to be not a rule which is used, only an integer value is shown but rendered in halve pixels. With the snapping tools i can set to snap into pixels. When i move around with the mouse i get sharper pixels. When i use the keyboard it only moves 1 pixel (from 0.5 to 1.5) and don´t respect the snapping... so it is almost no possible to position it, only if i set the numbers in the transformation panel. The workflow is awful!!! Anyway. The image should not be blurry, no matter which position the layer/object/image is drawn. 

Hint: Also if i export the selected layers (select only selection in export window) it is blurry like hell. It should never be blurry because a Pixel is a pixel and not a half pixel ;) 

Note: When i only paste the content as "new from clipboard" it works because the size of the content is taken. But i need a fixed object size (also because of rounding errors, my buttons needs to have exact the same pixel size).

This is only one of the bugs/problems i found. My list is very, very long and i try to post it here piece by piece. 

Thanks for look into it!

I just tried the trial of photoshop. The quality there is better. I understand that vector graphics may also have a half pixel sometimes but after rasterizing it should be in every case on a full pixel position.

So maybe it helps, my suggestion is to use the pixel snapping after rasterizing an object. I think in some cases it takes the rounded position and makes problem. When i move such an object with the mouse and have disabled the snapping setting "move whole pixels", then it snaps with mouse to a good position. But when i copy and paste it into another (different sized) document, i have half pixels... here should be snapped too, at least with rasterized objects. Also the keyboard moving should be do this. I f i use the keyboard to adjust a pixel it snaps from 0.5 pixel to 1.5pixel (with mouse, the option is used and it is snapping into a full pixel). 

Both things, use the snap function after rasterize and also move rasterized layers with this function could bypass this problem. Maybe only once use the snap to a full pixel after rasterizing could be enough... it should be easy to test ;) 

• Staff

Hi @imagodespira,

On 12/2/2022 at 2:22 PM, imagodespira said:

Position is 0.5 pixels (see it in transformation panel). It should never happen! A PIXEL is a PIXEL!

In Affinity apps, it's possible to have objects on 'part pixel' values, however any objects that are on these values may appear blurry, due to anti-aliasing applied to the canvas.

You can use Snapping Options to ensure that objects aren't placed on part pixel values, simply enable 'Force Pixel Alignment' and any objects you create or transform will be restrained to full pixel values.

Using the test document provided in your 1st report thread, I have aligned/resized all of your objects to be on full pixel values, such that this no longer occurs -

MenuTest_p.afphoto

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!