You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

“hand tool”

Is there a hand tool shortcut using keyboard and mouse in lieu of touching the screen? I use my Ipad like a desktop, and it would be great to not have to reach up to navigate. That or a select magnification area by drawing a box would be awesome. I’d put this in the feedback section since I know the first option is likely unavailable, but the thread’s been archived. Thanks!

Just now, Mark Freeman said:

Is there a hand tool shortcut using keyboard and mouse in lieu of touching the screen? I use my Ipad like a desktop, and it would be great to not have to reach up to navigate. That or a select magnification area by drawing a box would be awesome. I’d put this in the feedback section since I know the first option is likely unavailable, but the thread’s been archived. Thanks!

Fyi, I’m aware of the navigation panel, but spacebar hand tool would be awesome.

17 minutes ago, Mark Freeman said:

Is there a hand tool shortcut using keyboard and mouse in lieu of touching the screen?

H should work to switch you to the View Tool. Spacebar doesn't, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, Mark Freeman said:

H is the shortcut you want

D0DDB112-86CE-4694-93F5-F124E9CC7A00.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 12/2/2022 at 9:21 AM, walt.farrell said:

H should work to switch you to the View Tool. Spacebar doesn't, as far as I know.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:22 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

H is the shortcut you want

D0DDB112-86CE-4694-93F5-F124E9CC7A00.jpeg

Thanks guys, I should have been more specific, I need it in designer. Thanks anyway 🙏🏻

2 hours ago, Mark Freeman said:

Thanks guys, I should have been more specific, I need it in designer. Thanks anyway 🙏🏻

No, apparently in Designer 2 for iPad there's no keyboard shortcut for the View Tool. Seems like an odd omission.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

There is no view tool ‘hand symbol’ in Designer on iPad V1 or V2, only in Photo, use the navigator studio in designer or two finger move which is easier.

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

7 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

There is no view tool ‘hand symbol’ in Designer on iPad V1 or V2, only in Photo, use the navigator studio in designer or two finger move which is easier.

Sure there is (at least in v2). But you may have to enable it in your Preferences.

(Away from the iPad at the moment, so can't provide a screenshot.)

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Sure there is (at least in v2). But you may have to enable it in your Preferences.

(Away from the iPad at the moment, so can't provide a screenshot.)

As usual you are correct Walt, I just never used before ! Just two finger pan & zoom works well for me.

E58BF070-D828-4DEA-BC23-26D8120F62CF.jpeg

Just now, Paul Mudditt said:

Just two finger pan & zoom works well for me.

That's what I usually do, too. But it seems Mark prefers to work differently.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

A lot of times on the iPad when using Gestures, you can inadvertently touch/select/resize/move objects…causing you to 2Finger tap Undo just to begin again.

Usually requires a lot of Locking and Unlocking Layers to fight it, if having this issue frequently.

So even having just the Hand Tool visible to use as an option, can prevent that…if wanting to simply rotate the entire Canvas.

1 hour ago, StudioJason said:

So even having just the Hand Tool visible to use as an option, can prevent that…if wanting to simply rotate the entire Canvas.

Thanks for providing that viewpoint.

In this particular case, though, I don't see how it helps with rotation. As far as I've seen you still need to use a 2-finger rotate gesture to rotate the canvas.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for providing that viewpoint.

In this particular case, though, I don't see how it helps with rotation. As far as I've seen you still need to use a 2-finger rotate gesture to rotate the canvas.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And in spite of it all, he simply wanted the shortcut, but you offered your viewpoint just the same…in both cases, so here’s mine as well.✌️

10 hours ago, StudioJason said:

And in spite of it all, he simply wanted the shortcut, but you offered your viewpoint just the same…in both cases, so here’s mine as well.✌️

You perhaps have misunderstood what I was saying. You expressed an interesting viewpoint, and I thanked you for it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 8 months later...
On 12/6/2022 at 3:30 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

As usual you are correct Walt, I just never used before ! Just two finger pan & zoom works well for me.

E58BF070-D828-4DEA-BC23-26D8120F62CF.jpeg

This is right! But not clear enough. 

After you activate “Enable View Tool for Accessibility” in Tools setting, you will find the hand tool icon is under the ruler tool (you need to scroll the toolbar).
In V1 the hand tool can found easier but in V2 the toolbar must be scroll up.

I can’t find the answer in any article. I just accidentally found it lol.