You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another Font problem on Ventura?

ashf

I am already aware that "fallback fonts" does not work on Ventura. (linked below)
But I received a report about another problem from other user.

According to them, they created a document using the "ヒラギノ角ゴシック" font on Monterey.
Then they open it on Ventura, Affinity says "Hiragino Kaku Gothic" is missing and text is garbled.

"ヒラギノ角ゴシック" and "Hiragino Kaku Gothic" is the same font and it's a default Japanese font on macOS.
So this could be different problem.

6 hours ago, ashf said:

Then they open it on Ventura, Affinity says "Hiragino Kaku Gothic" is missing and text is garbled.

Hiragino Kaku Gothic is another "Document support font" - which do not appear to work in Affinity applications on macOS Ventura.

Fonts included with macOS Ventura - see Document-support fonts about half way down the page - https://support.apple.com/en-asia/HT213266

6 hours ago, kenmcd said:

Hiragino Kaku Gothic is another "Document support font" - which do not appear to work in Affinity applications on macOS Ventura.

Fonts included with macOS Ventura - see Document-support fonts about half way down the page - https://support.apple.com/en-asia/HT213266

Thanks for the heads up.
Hiragino Kaku Gothic seems to be renamed to Hiragino Sans.
I can't believe they changed the name of default system font.

2 hours ago, ashf said:

Hiragino Kaku Gothic seems to be renamed to Hiragino Sans.

That font family is known both as Hiragino Sans and Hiragino Kaku Gothic.
The versions that are sold by the company are called Hiragino Kaku Gothic,
but the file names look like
Hiragino Sans (Kaku Gothic) Pro N W1.otf.
It appears they also sell the fonts as a Japanese version and an en English version.
It appears that Ventura now has the same fonts called Hiragino Sans.

In looking back through the macOS font lists it looks like they first added a couple Hiragino Sans fonts (en), and then later added a number of Japanese named fonts from the same family. Some of the fonts were "UI" fonts, but those appear to be deprecated now. The current list of the Hiragino Sans fonts in Ventura appears to be the same list that I have - but my fonts are named Hiragino Kaku Gothic.

Some of the fonts directly from the maker have localized font names inside the fonts - so the font name displayed depends on the the users OS language.
So the application could display the font name in Japanese or English.
Since I do not have the Ventura fonts, I do not know if they have this feature.

So take all of the above name confusion, and add the Affinity issues with blocked Ventura fonts - and I am not surprised there are some "missing fonts" issues.
Who knows which of these old fonts were used to make the old document.