You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select a layer on multiple layer picture

Fredrik H

I have Affinity V1 and now also Affinity v2. I don't know how to deal with a thing that was in the first version. If I have a multi-layered image, I can't double-click to open the specific layer. Must go to layers view to find the correct layer.  Is this a bug or a setting? I have tried read FAQ and watch all movies. But I can’t solve it. HELP!   

You may want to upload an example document where it happens.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@Fredrik H, I'm unsure if you are referring to selecting overlapping layers from the canvas, but if you are then simply holding down the Alt key on the keyboard and left mouse clicking will let you select each layer in the stack sequentually...

If you are referring to something else, could you elaborate a little...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

I think I've reproduced this here. Can you confirm that when the double-click fails to select the layer, the Node Tool is selected in the toolbar?

@MEB, is this not expected behaviour, as in, single click an object on the canvas with the Move tool selected and it selects the object in the layers panel, if an object is underneath another object, Alt Click to cyle through the objects (as per the video), double click an object in the layers panel and the selected object zooms to fit the screen.

Double click an object on the canvas and the Node tool is selected to allow the object to be edited... or have I completely misunderstood the issue here?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Fredrik H,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
I think I've reproduced this here. Can you confirm that when the double-click fails to select the layer, the Node Tool is selected in the toolbar? Thanks.

Hi @Fredrik H And @MEB ,

First of all V2 is very very nice!! congrats on the launch!

Despite that I have a similar problem. My document is a little complex with folders in folders and with masks and all. When shapes or objects are in a folder in a folder underneath all the other folders, when I use the alt button to select a shape it will select the folder, but not the folder in that folder and not the shapes in that
folder... 

Also When I am in that particular folder (by selecting via the layer panel) and have 1 shape selected I am able to select another shape in that same folder using the alt button, but I am not able to select multiple shapes by clicking on them holding alt and shift or any combination really. Instead it will select a folder that is on top of all the layers...

My work around is to take the whole folder on top of everything else work on it and put it back. But that is quite inconvenient (and hard to see what I am doing). I wasn't able to replicate it in a new simple document. If you need the document to see what I am doing wrong, please let me know where to send it. I was not able to upload my screen recording unfortunately... so I uploaded a screen print instead.

Hope to hear from you!
Thank you for your time!
Best,

Frederiek

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 22.48.22.png

8 hours ago, MEB said:

I think I've reproduced this here. Can you confirm that when the double-click fails to select the layer, the Node Tool is selected in the toolbar

For me, v2 behaves the same as v1:
If you have nested groups with overlapping objects, double-clicking with the Move tool travels through the Group layers at first until you reach the top-most object. Then a double-click – as expected – activates the Node tool.

To select each stacked overlapping object one by one with the Move tool, regardless how deeply nested they are: 
Cmd-Option-click (on Mac)

Whereas Option-click will only travel through the group layers, ignoring nested objects.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, loukash said:

For me, v2 behaves the same as v1:
If you have nested groups with overlapping objects, double-clicking with the Move tool travels through the Group layers at first until you reach the top-most object. Then a double-click – as expected – activates the Node tool.

To select each stacked overlapping object one by one with the Move tool, regardless how deeply nested they are: 

Whereas Option-click will only travel through the group layers, ignoring nested objects.

Hi @loukash, Thanks so much that works! May I ask, how do you select multiple objects whilst clicking? I tried Shift-CMD-Option-Click, but that didn't work...

8 hours ago, loukash said:

Alternatively if you have Allow Selection to Consider Items inside a Group selected in the context toolbar then Option-Click will do the same thing and select each stacked overlapping object one by in Nested Groups with the Move tool selected.

2 hours ago, hFA said:

how do you select multiple objects whilst clicking? I tried Shift-CMD-Option-Click, but that didn't work...

There does appear to be a bug here... Option-Shift-Click 'should' allow you to select multiple items in the Nested Group directly from the Canvas using the Move Tool, however with the set up below it does the following each time Option-Shift-Click is used...

• Option-Click (with Allow Selection to Consider Items inside a Group selected) or Cmd-Option-Click if not to select the Black Rectangle in the Nested Group.
  • Option-Shift = Black and Green Rectangles Selected
  • Option-Shift = Only Green Rectangle Selected
  • Option-Shift = Green and Magenta Rectangles Selected
  • Option-Shift = Black, Green and Mageneta Rectangles Selected
  • Option-Shift = Green and Magenta Rectangles Selected but the Black Rectangle now Toggles on (and is added to the selection) and off (and is removed from the selection.

663601574_NestedSelection.jpg.90e5bcbbb561ac27bd9ee2f37600dba8.jpg

5 hours ago, hFA said:

May I ask, how do you select multiple objects whilst clicking?

Frankly, my current work is usually relatively flat, so I don't even use that much "click-through". I keep the Layers panel open and select whatever I need directly there.

5 hours ago, hFA said:

May I ask, how do you select multiple objects whilst clicking?

I think the only way you can currently achieve this is to Option-Click or Cmd-Option-Click to select your intial nested layer and then use Cmd-Click in the layers panel to select non sequential layers or Shift-Click to select sequential layers.

35 minutes ago, Fredrik H said:

Have also tested Option-Click or Cmd-Option-Click but it will be an extra step compared to before?

Just ruling out the obvious... I assume the graphic you're double clicking on in the video doesn't form part of a Master Page and you're then attempting to select it on a main page?