You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please let me know why the clipping mask doesn't work well.

I want to apply the same effect to the same effect mask. I like to use clipping masks like the second one because the first is not the smartest way. But it doesn't work well. Can you tell me why? I'm not good at English. If you know any reference videos on youtube please let me know.

2022_12_02_02.JPG

2022_12_02_03.JPG

In your image 2, the curves adjustment get applied to the hsl adjustment (there it has no effect at all).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Sorry no PS expert. cant say what you try to do based on that screenshot of PS layers.

Can you explain more verbally what do you want to do? (I see a curves, a HSL adjustment, and a mask). Which should be applied in what sequence?

1. curves applied to background, using mask M
  2. HSL applied to result of 1., using the same mask M

Using groups for multiple adjustments, and a mask applied to the group, is the default and best way to do the job. You may need to change the blend mode from „passthrough“ to „normal“ for the group layer. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

As per your request, let me explain what I would like to do with Affinity Photos.

I want to use the tone curve to expose the skin tones of the portrait model. But there is a problem. It is that the saturation is reduced. I want to add saturation to the layer masked part of the tone curve by using a clipping mask. It is possible to do it with the method in my attached "1" image. However, I was looking for an alternative method using clipping masks, as the layers would be complicated.

Do you understand what I mean? If you have any questions please continue.

I really appreciate your support. Thank you very much.

Thanks for your reply.

You alternative way produces something different than you expect. If you nest the HSL adjustment to the curves adjustment, it will modify the curves adjustment only - to be more precise, nested adjustment layer may impact the inherent mask of the parent layer, but will have no impact to RGB channels.

This has it use case only if you want to modify the inherent mask by adjustments or filters which can actually work on alpha channel: curves, levels, channel mixer do, and many filters like blur and distortion.

Yo can use clipping, but only if you use a pixel layer as starting point. So an alternative method could be:

• duplicate you pixel layer
  • Add a mask
  • add multiple adjustment layers. all will be restricted to the mask.

But this is almost the same as using a group to nest adjustments. I can't imagine why this would be "less complex" than a simple group with a mask.

Thank you for your very detailed explanation. I've used Photoshop before, so I'm used to that method, but this app seems a little different.

Thank you for suggesting me a new way. I was able to understand the specifications of Affinity Photos, and I was able to learn new methods.
You're right, the method is very similar to what I did before. But I always wondered why it doesn't work so your help would be very helpful.

I am deeply grateful for your support!