You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi! Affinity publisher keeps crashing when using the find feature over and over

• 1 month later...

Hi Claude and welcome to the forum. Are you still experiencing this issue with v2.0.3 and does it happen with every document you try or just a specific file?

Is there anything special about the find and replace operation you're doing or is this just searching for any text string?

Are you able to share a sample file?

I use F&R constantly but I've never experienced a crash with it in v2. However, there is an annoying issue where it picks up a white space character along with the selected text when you copy something to search for.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi @Inti and welcome to the forum.

For both of you, I think Serif will want a few more details - a screen recording of the crash occurring would be ideal.

To confirm, you choose Find & Replace and the panel appears or is given focus (the cursor is placed in the text field). You type some text into the Find field (or are you pasting?) You click Find or press Return (which one?). And then it crashes or is it at some other point?

Does it happen every time? If you create a blank document and do it does it crash?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

Could everybody with this problem please answer these questions to help narrow this down?

1. When does it crash? When you open the Find & Replace panel? When you type into the Find field? When you paste into the Find field? When you click the Find button? When you press Return as a shortcut for Find? At some other point?
  2. Is the Find & Replace panel open before you use it or does that not matter?
  3. If so, is the Find & Replace panel visible (not a hidden tab) before you use it or does that not matter?
  4. Is the Find & Replace panel docked or undocked?

Thank you

I experienced the Find crash myself for the first time this evening. I had the panel open. I pressed Cmd+F, typed a word, pressed Return, and it crashed.

Prior to doing this I had searched for a different word, gone to a result, and made some edits.

I wasn't able to reproduce it on demand.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, MikeTO said:

Could everybody with this problem please answer these questions to help narrow this down?

1. When does it crash? When you open the Find & Replace panel? When you type into the Find field? When you paste into the Find field? When you click the Find button? When you press Return as a shortcut for Find? At some other point?
  3. If so, is the Find & Replace panel visible (not a hidden tab) before you use it or does that not matter?

Thank you

I don't have the Find panel open. If I hit Command+F or select Find from the menu, it crashes instantly. Has happened every time. Crash report attached.

Crash Report.rtf

Edited by Futurosity

1 hour ago, Futurosity said:

I don't have the Find panel open. If I hit Command+F or select Find from the menu, it crashes instantly. Has happened every time. Crash report attached.

That's interesting. Could you try a couple of things?

1. Publisher copies the selected word to the Find text field when you choose the Find command. Are you selecting a word or phrase? If so, please try it without selecting a word or phrase to see if that's the issue.
  2. Start Publisher, choose Window > Find to open the Find panel. Create a new document, draw a frame, type some test, and then click in the Find text field. Type the text to find and click the button. Does that work? If that works, type some more text in the document and then press Cmd+F - does that work?

Thanks

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Start Publisher, choose Window > Find to open the Find panel. Create a new document, draw a frame, type some test, and then click in the Find text field. Type the text to find and click the button.

Tried that. Crashed as soon as I clicked in the Find text field.

3 minutes ago, Futurosity said:

Have you updated Publisher to 2.0.3 yet? It's worth a try if you didn't.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

11 hours ago, Futurosity said:

Again this is interesting. Now the panel is already open and you're just clicking manually in the Find field so it's not being pre-populated by copying a selected word.

Is the Find panel docked or undocked? Could you try it the other way from what you have it?

Thanks

Hey all, I was working with Serif on this issue, when they mentioned something about dictionaries that made me think of grammarly. For those not aware, grammarly is a service that helps with spelling/grammar on all sites, and they have a desktop app that sort of displays an overlay over every input text field. I uninstalled grammarly's desktop app and it seems to have solved the problem. So check if you have any apps that are functioning as a sort of overlay or dictionary that may be trying to access the find/replace text field. 

Unsure what the conflict is, Serif's customer support has said they will connect with Grammarly as well. I suspect some sort of fatal conflict with the two programs trying to access the same field (although no other program seems to have this issue other than Publisher at this time). HTH

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 9:04 PM, MikeTO said:

Thank you

1. As soon as I click on the box in 'Find' to enter the word to be replaced.
2. I opened the F&R via 'Window' in the tool bar.
3.                 "

4. Undocked.

I have copied the crash report, where do I send it?

On 1/24/2023 at 3:10 AM, MikeTO said:

I experienced the Find crash myself for the first time this evening. I had the panel open. I pressed Cmd+F, typed a word, pressed Return, and it crashed.

Prior to doing this I had searched for a different word, gone to a result, and made some edits.

I wasn't able to reproduce it on demand.

I have just created another plain text file, only this time I used CMD F instead of going through Window - Find and Replace. As soon as I pressed the F key, Publisher 2 crashed. So whether I go through Window or use the keyboard shortcut Publisher 2 rashes immediately. However, if I highlight the word first and then press CMD F, it doesn't crash.

Macbook Pro - 
2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
16 GB 3733 MHZ LPDDR4X Running Ventura 13.1

I attach the crash report.

Thanks

F'n'R Crash Report..pdf

Hi @They Them, do you have Grammarly installed? This crash bug has been identified now as due to a conflict with Grammarly. While Serif or Grammarly will hopefully address it in the future, for now the workaround is to disable or uninstall Grammarly.

Cheers

On 2/14/2023 at 9:18 PM, MikeTO said:

Hi @They Them, do you have Grammarly installed? This crash bug has been identified now as due to a conflict with Grammarly. While Serif or Grammarly will hopefully address it in the future, for now the workaround is to disable or uninstall Grammarly.

Cheers

I do have Grammerly installed. I disabled it while using P2 and it worked! Thanks @MikeTO, you're a steely eyed missile man!

G

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@dmclaude , @They Them @Futurosity and other participants

We could replicate this in February, but can no longer replicate this problem. Perhaps a Grammarly update has addressed this. Could you please retry it for us?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

The issue "Grammarly for Desktop causes Publisher to crash when accessing the Find and Replace Panel" (REF: AFB-7131) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 4 weeks later...

@Serif Info Bot It appears that this problem with Grammarly is still in build 1742 but it has migrated from Find & Replace to the Notes panel's separator field. Please see this thread.