You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show grid shortcut

Darner

Hi

AD 1 had "show grid" with "cmd + ' " (left side of keyboard)
AD 2 changed "show grid" to  "cmd + ¨" (right side of keyboard)

Tried changing "view grid" shortcut in AD2 settings back to "cmd + ' ".
Still only applies as default "cmd + ¨ "

Workflow is normally turn grid on off on off on off left hand, and mouse in right hand. Maybe your lead designer is left handed?😂Hope you can fix.

8 minutes ago, Darner said:

AD 1 had "show grid" with "cmd + ' " (left side of keyboard)
AD 2 changed "show grid" to  "cmd + ¨" (right side of keyboard)

Tried changing "view grid" shortcut in AD2 settings back to "cmd + ' ".
Still only applies as default "cmd + ¨ "

Workflow is normally turn grid on off on off on off left hand, and mouse in right hand. Maybe your lead designer is left handed?😂Hope you can fix.

Hi Darner, I'm not seeing any difference for this shortcut between AD1 and 2 in English, French or German. Which language are you using Affinity in and with what keyboard language? For me, the shortcut has always been Cmd+right apostrophe on the right side of the keyboard.

Perhaps you had customized your shortcut in AD1? Try resetting your AD1 shortcuts back to Serif defaults and seeing what it was before you made changes. (Save your AD2 shortcuts first so that you can restore them back from Serif's defaults.)

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks for reply.

Language english on computer and in Affinity.
I now tried resetting, restarting, and ram reset, and setting Serif Defaults in both AD 1 and AD 2.

In AD2 - Shortcut default for "show grid" shows "cmd + ' ", but works only with "cmd + ¨ "
In AD1 - Shortcut default for "show grid" shows "cmd + ' ", which works fine.

Next re-install, or other suggestions?

3 hours ago, Darner said:

Next re-install, or other suggestions?

Just out of curiosity what language is your keyboard set to?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Swiss and Scandinavian keyboard layouts have a ¨ key.
The Swiss layout on Mac is a troublemaker since the early days…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

This sounds like the bug picked up here when using a German-Swiss Keyboard layout...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• 9 months later...

Still not working with the standard shortcut to show grid with cmd + ' (left side of keyboard)
Only showing grid with cmd + ¨ (right side of keyboard).

This issue occurred after 2.0 update I believe.
And still after 2.2 update, no improvement.

Since last time have also reset shortcut settings, and manually inserted desired shortcut in:
Settings / view / show grid. This specific shortcut is not affected for some strange reason. Even though other shortcuts are. Also tried 2 different language settings in system settings on Mac.

So sending a reminder, hopefully will be fixed soon.

4 minutes ago, jungianLaura said:

Show Grid is not working at all for me in Affinity Photo on MacOS after updating to 2.2.0 today.

Had issues as well with shortcuts in general (in addition to the one mentioned in this thread with grid) after updating to 2.2.
One of them being deleting graphics with back space on Mac.
It helped with resetting shortcuts in Affinity settings for back space. But did not solve the grid shortcut issue.
Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, jungianLaura said:

Show Grid is not working at all for me in Affinity Photo on MacOS after updating to 2.2.0 today.

What kind of Grid have you setup in the Grid Manager?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, jungianLaura said:

I don't know exactly what I changed to do so.

Ticking Show grid (all above) does exactly what it says.
It is also accessible in View menu. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

2 hours ago, jungianLaura said:

I've managed to get the grid to show, but I don't know exactly what I changed to do so. Clicked a few things in the grid manager. Here's what it looks like now.

"Mode" defaults to an Automatic Grid, in V2, and that's a Pixel Grid which is probably not what you want. You need to change it to some other Mode setting, such as Basic or Automatic, or you need to select a Grid Preset that you've saved.

2.1.1 worked the same way, so this is not something new with your 2.2.0 update (unless you were previously using V1).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1