You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disgusting pricing

8 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

If you have bought anything, and I mean anything, over the last two years you will have seen that prices have gone up. There is not a single thing which I buy regularly today, whether it is cat food, Mars bars, shirts, or electricity which has not gone up in price. There is no sticker on a Mars bar telling why the price has gone up (nor why the size has gone down). Other factors include inflation, and currency devaluation which leads to higher cost of all imports.

This has been mentioned many times in the forum. The standard answer is to buy the software for what it has now, not for what it might have in the future. You have indeed mentioned that you are not buying V2 as it is now. So you do implicitly understand that point.

Youre just speculating at this point. If thats the reason I see no point in hiding it. Most people would have no problem with that. Including myself.

If you can't afford it don't buy it and go with freeware and stop whining.

Now I can be banned... I couldn't stand it anymore.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

On 12/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, MEB said:

Hi @luki1412,
No, individual product prices weren't covered specifically. We did increase the price of all apps compared to V1 because we believe they do worth/offer more value as apps than V1 did. There's no obligation to pay/upgrade for those who think the new features/tools don't worth the increase in price - V1 remains functional, as ever, and should receive an update/patch soon to address a few compatibility issues with most current OS's.

Similarly to other products (in other areas too), prices for larger quantities/bundles or in this case for the whole suite tend to be more beneficial/offer a better value for money than buying the apps individually. I won't comment about any values/decisions specifically because I'm really not the most suited person to do it.

Except it doesn't as of yet. Ive yet to see advancements to raw develop itself which is literally the next thing you do once you have photographed and opened the images on a pc or portable device. Ive yet to see proper "tutorials" on the high end subject. No, frequency separation on skin is not high end. Affinity has introduced a camera raw option which is good but that shouldn't have been the first thing that came with the program. A better raw developer with the ability to edit multiple images in raw at the same time. As of yet it is not worth upgrading to version 2. It adopts the same mentality as other companies have. Pay us and we will complete the program as we go. Import raw from your previous photo program had more advanced features in raw than af v 2 has. Please explain to me how raw in v2 is better than v1. Not the new camera raw option-raw develop itself and how it compares to c1 or photoshop. I want to believe in serif but this is a huge disappointment as of now.

1 hour ago, luki1412 said:

Yeah you buy a finished version 2.0 and can opt in to get updates early for 10$. You get a discount if you own the previous version. The price is unchanged. Its just early access to updates that they offer now for 10$.

They also provide long term support

CSP V2 is not a major upgrade. Only a handful of what I would consider upgrades. I'd say if we are comparing product to product, Affinity includes more changes (albeit some regressions). Celsys did raise the price because the upgrade pattern is now yearly. They said so themselves, that the new price structure is because their current business model is not tenable, so they need more funding to continue. So if a desired update were to come, one would have to keep buying the one-time upgrades to gain access to those features. If you recall, we've received years of free updates on CSP V1 for about 6 years. Most of the bigger changes came through updates. The user that is really getting burnt though are the people who were enticed to upgrade to EX for cheap during one of their flash sales. They're now stuck with the $28~/yr for update fee even if they're not making use of major EX features aside from the image>tone function. $10 is reasonable if a person needs one of the updates. Regardless, we're being asked to pay for 12mo of updates with no idea what will come. Will I still support the product? Absolutely. It's a great product. A product is only worth what we're willing to pay and I'm willing to pay to support something I make use of on a near daily basis. That said, only one of the announced changes is something I am interested in, which is align & distribute.

Affinity has also already released a support update for V1 and their wording is similar to Celsys: We'll do it as long as we feasibly can (wait-and-see)...

10 hours ago, luki1412 said:

The entire point of this thread is to voice my opinion about their pricing. No one is forcing you to post here. Ive already said Im not buying V2 in its current state, despite the fact that half of you have the need to repeat that to me and others.

They increased it silently, no reasoning behind it and you all just took it without issues. Good thing they have sheep like you that follow without question. Maybe next version they can ask for double again.

The point of version releases is that they can be funded for the development. They do the work, we buy the version. If their dev costs increased because of things out of their control, why not mention it? Why hide it? Especially when you don't know what you're getting with V2 up to V2.9. None of the updates could be the things you wanted. You have to wait to find out or blindly buy in hopes they add what you hoped they would.

"It has so many features now the price should increase" Each version gets its own funding. Doesn't matter how many features it has. Because they got funding for all of it. People who bought V1, funded its development. Once done, V2 started being worked on, so people who buy V2 will fund development of the V2 but they also get the bonus of having the features from V1, that has already been funded.

Allow me to respond to your assertions.

You need to proceed from reality, and not from your wet fantasies and mental constructions about "how everything should be right."

The reality at the moment is this:

1. I studied the innovations of Affinity Suite and liked them. Some things were finished and the work was done.

2. For me personally, $100 to get an update on all 5 products is an inconspicuous expense.

3. I only have 2 REALISTIC CHOICES in this situation. a) Upgrade and get those updates. b) Do not update and sit on the old one. I chose update.

4. Since I myself have a small business and we ourselves had to recently raise prices, because everything around is becoming more expensive and inflation is growing, I understand the Serif company.

5. We do not have a subscription model and monthly payments anyway. And we (thank God) are given a free choice - to buy further updates, or we have enough of what we have to work and we are not required to pay.

Thus, nowhere is there an attitude towards people as towards a flock of sheep.

We are given the choice to buy a new version or stay on the old one.

But the Serif company itself does not deprive itself of the right to choose and the opportunity to adjust its own prices and not work at a loss.

9 hours ago, SpaceBound said:

Import raw from your previous photo program had more advanced features in raw than af v 2 has. Please explain to me how raw in v2 is better than v1. Not the new camera raw option-raw develop itself and how it compares to c1 or photoshop. I want to believe in serif but this is a huge disappointment as of now.

There is one revision of the software, which for me personally was worth the upgrade.

Now in Version 2 it is possible to process a Raw file in a non-destructive way and always be able to return to it and its corrections.

You open the Raw file in "Develop Persona" and then tell it to leave it in the settings as an external or embedded Raw file for the "Photo Persona" section layer.

image.png.878f4c8c427da20a03563859c30cdb05.png

And now you can return to the original raw file in the "Develop Persona" at any time and correct it if necessary, and then return back.

Now in the "Photo Persona" section in the layers you are not working with a rasterized flat and devoid of additional information picture, but you continue to work with a raw file.

That alone is worth the upgrade!

29 minutes ago, Maksimus said:

You need to proceed from reality, and not from your wet fantasies and mental constructions about "how everything should be right."

This is far worse than anything your target's writing, and is subsequently revealed as some kind of hypoxic irony, ironically, that avoids any and all substantive points of the OP.

1 hour ago, deeds said:

This is far worse than anything your target's writing, and is subsequently revealed as some kind of hypoxic irony, ironically, that avoids any and all substantive points of the OP.

Everything is relative in this world.

On the one hand, I have Adobe with their bullying of their customers and their terrible subscription policy.

On the other hand, there is Serif and Afinity Suite with their reasonable prices and no subscription.

There are no other quality solutions and options.

Therefore, I choose not from hypothetical options, but from what the market offers.

I have left almost all subscription products (with the exception of antivirus and one program where there are small annual payments).

I bought Affinity Suite, Capture One, Topaz Lab, Luminar, DxO Photolab.

(Only an unlimited license and full ownership of a copy of the software).

Yes, I can pay for updates once a year if I consider these updates essential.

And I'm glad that I don't have to constantly pay a subscription. Now I own my copies!

Now it's my choice to buy updates or not, no one is forcing me (as Adobe does).

Rather than rejoice at the Adobe alternative and their extortionate prices, Serif users often grumble.

Why? After all, Affinity products are an order of magnitude cheaper than Adobe products.

We just need to rejoice here and in every possible way encourage Serif to develop further. IMHO.

12 hours ago, AlainP said:

If you can't afford it don't buy it and go with freeware and stop whining.

Now I can be banned... I couldn't stand it anymore.

Who asked you to open my post, read it and then complain? You are complaining about complaining.

If you can't stand a simple discussion, then close your browser.

11 hours ago, debraspicher said:

CSP V2 is not a major upgrade. Only a handful of what I would consider upgrades. I'd say if we are comparing product to product, Affinity includes more changes (albeit some regressions). Celsys did raise the price because the upgrade pattern is now yearly. They said so themselves, that the new price structure is because their current business model is not tenable, so they need more funding to continue. So if a desired update were to come, one would have to keep buying the one-time upgrades to gain access to those features. If you recall, we've received years of free updates on CSP V1 for about 6 years. Most of the bigger changes came through updates. The user that is really getting burnt though are the people who were enticed to upgrade to EX for cheap during one of their flash sales. They're now stuck with the $28~/yr for update fee even if they're not making use of major EX features aside from the image>tone function. $10 is reasonable if a person needs one of the updates. Regardless, we're being asked to pay for 12mo of updates with no idea what will come. Will I still support the product? Absolutely. It's a great product. A product is only worth what we're willing to pay and I'm willing to pay to support something I make use of on a near daily basis. That said, only one of the announced changes is something I am interested in, which is align & distribute.

Affinity has also already released a support update for V1 and their wording is similar to Celsys: We'll do it as long as we feasibly can (wait-and-see)...

Under their conditions you can just keep buying a new version each year. Youre getting all the updates, without a price increase. Unlike Affinity. Nothing else is required.

7 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

Who asked you to open my post, read it and then complain? You are complaining about complaining.

If you can't stand a simple discussion, then close your browser.

We don't complain about you complaining.

We are trying to convince you that:

1. There's no point in complaining. Your cost complaints will not be heard by Serif and they will not change their prices.

2. In terms of price/quality/capability Serif offers the best product on the market. There are no alternatives at this cost for such functionality and quality.

3. If you are embarrassed by Affinity prices, always remember Adobi's price policy. There is a much worse example. And... It continues to be used on such conditions by thousands of customers.

Therefore, we do not complain about complaints, but report that this is a useless waste of time and air shaking.

2 hours ago, Maksimus said:

Allow me to respond to your assertions.

The reality at the moment is this:

1. I studied the innovations of Affinity Suite and liked them. Some things were finished and the work was done.

2. For me personally, $100 to get an update on all 5 products is an inconspicuous expense.

3. I only have 2 REALISTIC CHOICES in this situation. a) Upgrade and get those updates. b) Do not update and sit on the old one. I chose update.

4. Since I myself have a small business and we ourselves had to recently raise prices, because everything around is becoming more expensive and inflation is growing, I understand the Serif company.

5. We do not have a subscription model and monthly payments anyway. And we (thank God) are given a free choice - to buy further updates, or we have enough of what we have to work and we are not required to pay.

Thus, nowhere is there an attitude towards people as towards a flock of sheep.

We are given the choice to buy a new version or stay on the old one.

But the Serif company itself does not deprive itself of the right to choose and the opportunity to adjust its own prices and not work at a loss.

Do you always to address other people's opinions as wet fantasies? What a childish attitude.

Just because you think something is right, does not mean others agree with you.

You bought the universal license and now you came to praise it even though I literally stated that the universal license is a good deal while individual pricing is a rip off. Your point is redundant.

I chose not to buy. That is my decision. Im gonna follow the development and decide whether its worth it later on. Both choices are valid.

You have a small business so buying the bundle saves you money since its a good deal. Again, Im an individual. Your point here is redundant.

I like that we do not have the subscription model. That's why I bought the first version. Never complained about it. Another redundant point.

Yes you are a part of the flock since you had the option to read the post and just leave it alone. Yet you felt the urge to come and defend your purchase and company that isnt paying you or giving you anything in return. You're not winning anyone over. I am trying to talk to the people who made the decision to increase prices, I didnt ask for feedback from others. If you dont like my opinion, you're free to move along. The thread could have just died after creation yet there are so many sheep here trying to argue so hard to validate their purchase.

Yes it is their choice. I have no problem with that, but I have a choice to not agree with it and voice my opinion. Just like you do.

1 hour ago, Maksimus said:

Therefore, we do not complain about complaints, but report that this is a useless waste of time and air shaking.

It is if you (and the royal you) don't concisely sympathise with the OP.

1 hour ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Look in the mirror.

Look in the mirror.

Im not trying to, you are. Thats the difference. I didnt even reply to you yet you feel like you have to reply to me.

You should look in the mirror. Do you always have to add your input to everything even when not requested?

Stop wasting your time guys... there is nothing to do with that kind of people. Whatever you say they will turn it around to make it look like they are right. 

There is a name for that condition .... They are alone and desperate and there is nothing we can do. 

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, AlainP said:

Stop wasting your time guys... there is nothing to do with that kind of people. Whatever you say they will turn it around to make it look like they are right. 

There is a name for that condition .... They are alone and desperate and there is nothing we can do. 

Grow a spine. You can't handle criticism of your "favorite" product and you blame it on a condition. You should get a psychiatric evaluation.

Keep commenting. You have 1k posts on the forums. You obviously have enough time for it. Pretty obvious how lonely a desperate you are.

7 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

Grow a spine. You can't handle criticism of your "favorite" product and you blame it on a condition. You should get a psychiatric evaluation.

Keep commenting. You have 1k posts on the forums. You obviously have enough time for it. Pretty obvious how lonely a desperate you are.

As everyone can see ... you just proved my point. Thanks.

Oh... and I feel sorry for you ... but I don't really care very much. Have a nice day ... someday.

-- Macbook Air 15"