You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disgusting pricing

I love your software. I bought Photo and Designer.

Now you announced V2. I was excited. I expected to pay for each big version update. I understand that, but why did you increase it?!

You lump everyone together into the same group: "Here, have the entire software collection for just 200€!"

I do not own any apple device and I do not need a publishing app. So 4 pieces of that collection are worthless to me, yet I am still supposed to pay for them? No, thanks.

So what is my other option? Buy individual software. Yet you almost doubled the price from 55€ to 85€. So to buy 2 pieces of software in that collection, I have to spend 170€.

Yes I get that you offer discounts, but that changes nothing in this discussion.

The funny thing is that if you kept the previous pricing, it would still be worth to buy the universal license:

55*3 + 22*3 = 231€

85*3 + 24*3 = 327€ 

So:

Universal pricing: 200 €

Old pricing individual products: 231€

New pricing individual products: 327€

You're making less money with the universal license while screwing people who only bough a couple of your products and now need to spend more per product.

The features offered in V2 so far are currently not worth it. You give everyone a global discount, which makes everyone who bought the version 1, just feel that much saltier. We bought V1 to support the ambitious project that provides a good alternative to overpriced Adobe products and now you start with huge price increases and a middle finger to V1 owners. In the current state, I'm not going to buy the V2. Hope you at least add animation support. Even GIMP has animation support even though it's basic.

Edited by luki1412

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there is a global recession. And even Serif is not immune to high energy costs and the staff also want to pay for housing and food.

And no one is forcing you to continue using version 1 programmes. It's just that these versions will remain at the tech level they are at now.
So if you have problems with pricing, I recommend you switch to Adobe or Corel. Oh no, they also charge inflated prices, according to your speech. Then go for Paint.NET, Krita and Co.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @luki1412,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please check this thread which addresses some of your concerns and explains why V1 owners didn't get a bigger discount over new users (and what we are doing to fix it).
Thanks.

I do not see individual pricing being addressed there. Can you point me to the exact part where you specify why the price has increased by 30€ ? My problem isn't the universal license but the lack of options for people who do not want all of your products. As I literally pointed out in the main thread, you would actually get more money for all licenses if you kept the old pricing if people didn't buy the universal license.

Apparently I wasn't clear enough. Imagine a user who only bought Affinity Photo V1. They do not own any Apple devices. You are making this person pay 30€ more for this upgrade. I just want to understand why you increased the prices for the individual product if it costs less with universal pricing(per product) than the original pricing when bought separately.

55 minutes ago, _Th said:

🥱Been posted and addressed over and over.

Clearly, you should just buy (sorry, rent) the Adobe suite.
They aren't greedy and you'll save a ton of money.

Clearly you can't read. Try re-reading it before posting a toxic reply.

I do not like Adobe's pricing. That's why I'm here, genius.

I'm talking about individual pricing.

52 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Maybe you haven't noticed, but there is a global recession. And even Serif is not immune to high energy costs and the staff also want to pay for housing and food.

And no one is forcing you to continue using version 1 programmes. It's just that these versions will remain at the tech level they are at now.
So if you have problems with pricing, I recommend you switch to Adobe or Corel. Oh no, they also charge inflated prices, according to your speech. Then go for Paint.NET, Krita and Co.

Another one who didn't read. Universal pricing offers lower prices PER PRODUCT than the ORIGINAL PRICING. So no, this is not due to global recession. That's why I made a long post that you didn't bother reading.

Well it does sting a bit, since i bought v1 just 2 months back but from my point event with the universal license there is major value for money, now if you get an ipad or mac later in the future you can use it in the future and the number of computer you can install the software is also a huge plus point. If they were greedy they could have just split the mac, iPad and windows and provided less discount. Any many of the photo editing software provide perpetual license for just one year.  

I would like to thank serif for their stellar affinity suite. 

18 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

Clearly you can't read. Try re-reading it before posting a toxic reply.

I do not like Adobe's pricing. That's why I'm here, genius.

I'm talking about individual pricing.

You title your post, "Disgusting Pricing", state that I clearly "can't read" and then refer to my obviously tongue-in-cheek reply (re: Adobe and greed) as "toxic".

Priceless.

Most here want to engage in positive, productive dialog—not bash others through a childish, entitlement attitude. Affinity offers solid, though not perfect, software at very reasonable prices. If you want to contribute to the non-Adobe movement, a more humble approach would help.

4 minutes ago, _Th said:

You title your post, "Disgusting Pricing", state that I clearly "can't read" and then refer to my obviously tongue-in-cheek reply (re: Adobe and greed) as "toxic".

Priceless.

Most here want to engage in positive, productive dialog—not bash others through a childish, entitlement attitude. Affinity offers solid, though not perfect, software at very reasonable prices. If you want to contribute to the non-Adobe movement, a more humble approach would help.

Yeah and you're not contributing to the discussion at all.

It was toxic. You came here to be a white knight for Affinity. You didn't read my post. I literally wrote "I love your software" in the first sentence.

Not going to bother reading your next posts. They are going to have the same content and tone as your first.

You came here to be bashful and not to actually listen and consider someone else's opinion.

• Staff

Hi @luki1412,
No, individual product prices weren't covered specifically. We did increase the price of all apps compared to V1 because we believe they do worth/offer more value as apps than V1 did. There's no obligation to pay/upgrade for those who think the new features/tools don't worth the increase in price - V1 remains functional, as ever, and should receive an update/patch soon to address a few compatibility issues with most current OS's.

Similarly to other products (in other areas too), prices for larger quantities/bundles or in this case for the whole suite tend to be more beneficial/offer a better value for money than buying the apps individually. I won't comment about any values/decisions specifically because I'm really not the most suited person to do it.

22 minutes ago, vas060985 said:

Well it does sting a bit, since i bought v1 just 2 months back but from my point event with the universal license there is major value for money, now if you get an ipad or mac later in the future you can use it in the future and the number of computer you can install the software is also a huge plus point. If they were greedy they could have just split the mac, iPad and windows and provided less discount. Any many of the photo editing software provide perpetual license for just one year.  

I would like to thank serif for their stellar affinity suite. 

I love the software. I bought it because I like it and want to support the team but at the same time I do not plan to buy an apple device and for that I am getting screwed.

What is going to be the price for the next version? Another +30€ ?

2 hours ago, luki1412 said:

I do not own any apple device and I do not need a publishing app. So 4 pieces of that collection are worthless to me, yet I am still supposed to pay for them? No, thanks.

So what is my other option? Buy individual software. Yet you almost doubled the price from 55€ to 85€. So to buy 2 pieces of software in that collection, I have to spend 170€!!!!

Yes I get that you offer discounts, but that changes nothing in this discussion.

Actually I do not agree with the author of this topic.

I used to be surprised that such a wonderful and complex software like Affinity Photo could cost $50 for a program. It's too cheap.

The same Photoshop, when it was not a subscription, cost several hundred dollars.

Therefore, when the cost was increased a little, it became more relevant to the features and functions that Affinity provides.

Remember also that Serif is a business, not a charity. The company has its own rising costs. Also consider what is going on in the world.

The dollar, pound and euro have depreciated heavily over the past year. Inflation is about 10%.

So if all this is put together in a place, then the price offer of Affinti products is very generous and worthy.

P.S. For example, only one program Capture One (RAW converter) costs $300. And it has much narrower functionality.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @luki1412,
No, individual product prices weren't covered specifically. We did increase the price of all apps compared to V1 because we believe they do worth/offer more value as apps than V1 did. There's no obligation to pay/upgrade for those who think the new features/tools don't worth the increase in price - V1 remains functional, as ever, and should receive an update/patch soon to address a few compatibility issues with most current OS's.

Similarly to other products (in other areas too), prices for a larger quantities/bundles or in this case for the whole suite tend to be more beneficial/offer a better value for money than buying the apps individually. I won't comment about specific values/decisions because I'm not the most suited person to discuss such things.

Thank you for your very nice message and attitude. I do want to apologize if my post sounded aggressive. It's just that I really like the V1 and I feel like I am getting screwed by this pricing. If people choose to buy the universal license, then you're technically not getting more money. That's why it doesn't make sense. The new pricings only screws people who bought 1 or 2 individual products. If you have them all then it's a great deal.

7 minutes ago, Maksimus said:

Actually I do not agree with the author of this topic.

I used to be surprised that such a wonderful and complex software like Affinity Photo could cost $50 for a program. It's too cheap.

The same Photoshop, when it was not a subscription, cost several hundred dollars.

Therefore, when the cost was increased a little, it became more relevant to the features and functions that Affinity provides.

Remember also that Serif is a business, not a charity. The company has its own rising costs. Also consider what is going on in the world.

The dollar, pound and euro have depreciated heavily over the past year. Inflation is about 10%.

So if all this is put together in a place, then the price offer of Affinti products is very generous and worthy.

P.S. For exemple, Capture One (RAW converter) costs $300. And it has a much narrower functionality.

The universal license is making them less money per product. That is my point.

Universal license 200€

Old pricing individual 231€

New pricing individual 327€

So if you bought the universal license, youre giving them less money even if there was no universal pricing and the prices stayed unchanged.

Edited by luki1412

3 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

The universal license is making them less money per product. That is my point.

Universal license 200€

Old pricing individual 234€

New pricing individual 327€

So if you bought the universal license, youre giving them less money even if there was no universal pricing and the prices stayed unchanged.

If you saw how the new price and the universal license as a whole will affect Serif sales, then you will understand that they have begun to sell a lot more as a whole, rather than individual products.

And thus it will raise sales and make more profit for the company.

There is no subscription here. You invest money for several years ahead. So this price is ok.

For the cost of one "Capture 1" I buy three complex programs and 2 more iPad versions.

Yes, this is some kind of celebration of invisible generosity. 😀

3 minutes ago, Maksimus said:

If you saw how the new price and the universal license as a whole will affect Serif sales, then you will understand that they have begun to sell a lot more as a whole, rather than individual products.

And thus it will raise sales and make more profit for the company.

There is no subscription here. You invest money for several years ahead. So this price is ok.

For the cost of one "Capture 1" I buy three complex programs and 2 more iPad versions.

Yes, this is some kind of celebration of invisible generosity. 😀

Again, the universal license is a great deal. I am not talking about that.

Individual pricing is awful. I cant use ipad versions, I do not care that they are included. I have no use for Publisher either.

So my only option is to buy Photo and Designer V2 for 85+85 = 170€. I already paid for V1 which are 55+55 = 110€.

It's just a very bad deal compared to the universal license. I would consider it if I hadn't bought the V1 of the products.

Now it's just not worth it for me.

17 minutes ago, Maksimus said:

uh...
Those where ancient times and nowadays many 2D programs are readily available which are in fierce competition with each other, be it feature and price wise.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

4 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

So my only option is to buy Photo and Designer V2 for 85+85 = 170€. I already paid for V1 which are 55+55 = 110€.

I'm curious whether you're comparing list prices or discounted prices?

In the US, the v1 applications at full list price had been (I think) $54.99 for awhile now. The v2 list price is currently $69.99. So, yes, it went up, by about 27%.

You're showing about a 54% increase. That could be due to Apple's pricing matrix and what they charge in your region. Which probably in some way also covers currency exchange differences. Or it could mean you're comparing the current discounted price with some other discounted price (for example, with the unusual 50% discount that Serif provided earlier due to the pandemic).

But a 54% increase does seem out-of-line with the 27% increase I've seen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think @luki1412  is unhappy about the anchoring in the pricing which seems to not be in the favor of cases where customers want to only update or purchase two of the programs?
The anchoring is great when the customer has has all three programs on one System (146,97€) vs the Universal which costs less.(119,99€)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

1 minute ago, myclay said:

I think @luki1412  is unhappy about the anchoring in the pricing which seems to not be in the favor of cases where customers want to only update or purchase two of the programs?
The anchoring is great when the customer has has all three programs on one System (146,97€) vs the Universal which costs less.(119,99€)

That seems to be it. Serif clearly wants people to do the universal, even at a loss, probably because they want people to join the ecosystem and try the other programs (the ones they'd be missing otherwise).

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious whether you're comparing list prices or discounted prices?

In the US, the v1 applications at full list price had been (I think) $54.99 for awhile now. The v2 list price is currently $69.99. So, yes, it went up, by about 27%.

You're showing about a 54% increase. That could be due to Apple's pricing matrix and what they charge in your region. Which probably in some way also covers currency exchange differences. Or it could mean you're comparing the current discounted price with some other discounted price (for example, with the unusual 50% discount that Serif provided earlier due to the pandemic).

But a 54% increase does seem out-of-line with the 27% increase I've seen.

All of these are full prices for me, on serif's website. This has nothing to do with the desktop apps, which Im mainly talking about.

4 minutes ago, luki1412 said:

All of these are full prices for me, on serif's website.

Thanks for the clarification. And what was the date for those 55 Euro prices?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1