You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm trying to resize and scale the contents of an artboard that I duplicated.

I've searched the forum but am only finding posts from people trying to do the opposite (expand the artboard without scaling its contents).

In this post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15756-resizing-artboard-also-resized-layers-inside-of-it/?p=71554

MEB seems to suggest that using the Move Tool to resize an artboard will indeed scale its layers accordingly, while using the Artboard Tool resizes the artboard without scaling its contents.

I've tried resizing the artboard with both tools but they both do the same thing (resize the artboard without scaling its contents). I've also tried using the transform panel but that also does the same thing.

I've also tried using the Document Setup panel which does have options for changing size and scaling the contents or anchoring them to the page, but these options are greyed out and unselectable.

How can I resize an artboard and scale its contents in one go?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi toastersocks,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To scale the artboard and its contents, select the Artboard in the Layers panel, select the Move Tool, go to the context toolbar and uncheck Lock Children. You should now be able to scale artboard and contents in one go. 

Some of the old replies may not be applicable currently because of the gradual changes/improvements introduced during the development/beta.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm trying to downsize multiple artboards and all their contents within. I mistakenly designed at xdpi and I need everything down to mdpi and I'm not sure the best way to do this! I'm sure there must be something easier than selecting all layers, downscaling and then resizing artboard to fit for each artboard individually.

Also I can't seem to find this move tool you're talking about.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Morten_Hjort,

To be able to scale the text instead of reflowing it when it's placed inside a group/multiple selection you have use the lowest bottom right handle (the one that's detached form the bounding box) to scale the selection otherwise the text in Frame text boxes will reflow.

Here's two ways to resize your document to an exact width value using the Transform panel:

Resize the artboard only first, selecting it in the Layers panel and entering the width you want in the respective input field in the Transform panel (make sure the padlock icon is locked), then select all objects dragging a marquee around them and use the detached handle on the bottom right of the selection to snap the document/objects to the bottom right of the enlarged artboard.

Another way since this document only has one artboard, select the artboard, press the delete key and choose Keep objects. This will convert the document to a regular non-artboard based document. Then go tot to File ▸ Document Setup..., insert the width you want (make sure the padlock is locked), set the Objects will section to Rescale and pressed OK. To add the artboard back again, select the Artboard Tool and click the Insert Artboard button in the context toolbar.

Here's the file resized:

V2_MEB.afdesign

@Morten_Hjort

Are you dragging the Artboard to resize it or just entering pixel values in the Transform panel?

Dragging seems to work for me.

Select the Artboard, unlock children, then drag by the bottom right (extra) handle.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am with Affinity Designer 1.6.1 and text is not resized, should I do any extra step 

Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

2 hours ago, DesignT said:

I am with Affinity Designer 1.6.1 and text is not resized, should I do any extra step 

What specifically are you trying to resize -- just art or frame text, one or more artboards with text, something else? How are you trying to do that -- dragging on a selection handle, in the Transform Panel, something else?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi RCR,

I am trying to resize all artboard contents (text and images) and I try both dragging on a selection handle and in the Transform Panel.

The text was not resized only images.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, DesignT said:

Hi RCR,

I am trying to resize all artboard contents (text and images) and I try both dragging on a selection handle and in the Transform Panel.

because you are using DTP text frame, I think it is by design default in every dtp related softwares not to resize the written content with images.
you have to use artistic text tool, if you want to work with as-image resizable artistic texts.

(I know it is 2020, but maybe others have the same dilemma)

On 11/16/2018 at 10:27 AM, DesignT said:

When a selection includes a Frame Text object, the text in the Frame Text will scale if you drag the extra handle that will be slightly outside the bottom right corner of the selection's bounding rectangle.

1620669847_outerhandle.thumb.png.1e9e655fb95a113fa57d11af66680cd8.png