You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Map Adjustment Working Erratically

BryantJ

I'm in Affinity Designer v. 2.0.2.2 on a 6th Gen 12.9" iPad Pro.

The behavior of the Gradient Map Adjustment layer is odd. The Gradient Map pop-up flickers on and off, and generally adjusting the values of the points on my gradient map seems to have no effect.

If I exit the file, and then open it up again, it seems to work correctly for a bit.

I can't seem to predict when it'll work correctly.

This seems to be the case with both vector layers, and pixel layers.

• Staff

Hi @BryantJwelcome to the forums,

We're currently aware of an issue with the adjustment panels flickering when the iPad is held/positioned at certain angles, this is logged with the developers. I've not been able to replicate an issue with adjusting the gradient map values, however.

If this is something you're able to replicate I would be grateful if you can provide a screen recording demonstrating the issue.

Many thanks!

It hadn't occurred to me that the flickering interface would be connected to the iPad's gyroscope! That sounds frighteningly complicated. Good luck to the programming team!

I've attached a screen recording of the gradient map issue. In this case, it's a group that contains a mix of vector and raster layers. It sometimes works, but as you can see, quite often when I adjust the color of the different points, not much is happening. (It's a technique I use all the time in my workflow on V1 of Designer on the iPad.) It does seem to work correctly on the desktop version, though I'm guessing that's a far more predictable UI!

• Staff

Thanks for the recording @BryantJ,

It looks like the two issues are tied together, I angled my iPad so it began flickering the adjustment window, when I tried changing any of the colour stops my changes were also being ignored, when the iPad is on a flat surface, it starts responding to changes again.

Interesting! I just tried it out, and it works correctly! Holding the iPad at 90 degrees also seems to work.

Generally when I'm drawing, I have the iPad pitched at 11 degrees (I just measured it with my phone; I didn't actually know that off the top of my head) by folding the case over.

Thanks for the quick response—I really appreciate it!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iOS] Adjustment Interface and Image placement menu flicker when iPad is held/Positioned at certain angles" (REF: AF-1306) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.