You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjust color with wheels like DaVinci Resolve

15 minutes ago, fde101 said:

It's not just Resolve.

The vast majority of color grading applications and plugins offer those.

It is not entirely foreign to still photos either, as Capture One has them.

Yeah, I just thought it's very popular in video color grading tools and thought it's a very nature UI to grade the color. I'm surprised that it is missing in Affinity Photo.

Edited by Cory C

Duplicate could be [command + d] 

But Affinity copied Adobe's [command + j] ... that's the extent of Affinity's inspiration from other sources for usability - they ask "what does Adobe do?" and that's it. 

Good for those coming from Adobe muscle memory. Not so good for progressing digital creativity.

Affinity could have decided to care about usability progression and flow. They copied Adobe, instead.

5 minutes ago, deeds said:

Duplicate could be [command + d] 

But Affinity copied Adobe's [command + j] ... that's the extent of Affinity's inspiration from other sources for usability - they ask "what does Adobe do?" and that's it. 

Good for those coming from Adobe muscle memory. Not so good for progressing digital creativity.

Affinity could have decided to care about usability progression and flow. They copied Adobe, instead.

The wheel has already been invented. All that everyone is doing, is adding transformational value to their products. Its the reason why you can differentiate a car that is of a toyota brand, from one that is bentley's. Its the reason you can differentiate an android phone from an iphone. All these products contain essential elements that cannot be reinvented, except modified. What affinity is giving you is non-destructive editing; where, unlike adobe photoshop, you have to create smart objects to keep adjustments still editable. When it comes to photo editing, photoshop is offering their approach and so is affinity. Photoshop believes you have to subscribe to use their products; and affinity believes, that you have to pay once and the product is yours to own. None of these companies, can force you to use their products. Thus, the choice is yours. I don't know how people fail to see this.

2 minutes ago, jhoey said:

None of these companies, can force you to use their products. Thus, the choice is yours. I don't know how people fail to see this.

When did forced usage (like, let's say, mandates for masking and vaccines) become a part of this conversation?

1 minute ago, jhoey said:

Why would you introduce something that you did not see in my reply?

as an example to demonstrate how ridiculous it was that you'd introduced the presumption of forced usage... something that wasn't previously mentioned by anyone, explicitly or implicitly. Why did you do that?

Just now, deeds said:

as an example to demonstrate how ridiculous it was that you'd introduced the presumption of forced usage... something that wasn't previously mentioned by anyone, explicitly or implicitly. Why did you do that?

What was the context in which I used it? Calling it ridiculous doesn’t prove anything. You don’t like the fact that, the choice is yours, and that none of these companies can employ force, to make you invest in their products. Why is that a problem for you?

6 minutes ago, jhoey said:

What was the context in which I used it? Calling it ridiculous doesn’t prove anything. You don’t like the fact that, the choice is yours, and that none of these companies can employ force, to make you invest in their products. Why is that a problem for you?

Probably can't force you to answer a question, either?

1 hour ago, sfriedberg said:

@deedsIf you aren't deliberately trolling, you certainly come across that way.  You do this in a lot of different threads, with a lot of different people.  Maybe you should make an effort to focus your forum comments to be more technically oriented and on-topic.

That reads exactly like concern trolling. 

• 5 months later...

The great thing is, purely mathematically speaking, the Lift/Gamma/Gain/Offset wheels don't do anything different from what is already possible with the Levels tool. It's just a different interface.

That means if this feature is added to Photo, it could be written to PSD files as a Levels adjustment layer so the file would still come out looking correct in Photoshop or other software.

DaVinci Resolve, 3D LUT Creator and similar software have tons of great tools that clearly show that Adobe's color adjustment toolset has not developed much since the 1990ies. Some minor advancements have made it into Camera Raw, but not a lot. I'd be very happy to see some more of these great tools from the film and video world make it into Affinity.