You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent crashes when deleting "extra" curves left by ShapeBuilder tool

libelle

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    Yes.
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    Sadly, I can't reliably cause the issue. It's frustratingly frequent and intermittent.
  3. Does it happen for a new document?
    Yes.
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version:
    iPad Air 4th Gen running iOS 16.1.1 (20B101) using Apple Pencil 2
  •    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ?
    No such setting
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
    I create intricate interwoven geometric patterns using the ShapeBuilder. Starting with the pencil tool, I draw lines which I then "expand stroke", make copies, rotate, and then use the ShapeBuilder to combine them. There are "left over" pieces after I use the Shape Builder, which I delete by hitting the trash bin icon in the Layer manager. Every so often, the app crashes when I delete one of these layers. 
  •    Any unusual hardware:
    Nothing, other than Appel Pencil.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently?
    It works most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi libelle,

I've tried to recreate this here and I'm struggling unfortunately. If possible could you create a file that you can recreate the crashing with and then send a copy of it here to see if it crashes at my end? I understand its been hard for you to recreate this issue but if you are able to get a screen recording of this issue it would be a massive help.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I recorded everything I did, and managed to catch the problem. Please see the attached screen capture. I can't really provide a specific file because the issue is intermittent.

The sequence that I typically use and where the problem arises:

• create a set of lines at a 30 degree angle
  • draw a set of curves of varying thicknesses across this triangular area, each a different color to help select later
  • expand stroke on the curves
  • copy and mirror the curves
  • set the center point of the set of curves
  • duplicate and rotate the curves repeatedly
  • select all curves of a particular color, and use shape-builder to join them into the desired shape
  • repeat for each color
  • select and delete the "left over" portions in the layer menu. Sometimes this will crash.

Thanks for taking a look!