You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APu: text wraps around objects mirrored from the other Master Page in a spread.

Fantomas.CZ

Hi, I have a strange problem. If I use mixed Master Pages for a single spread, the text on the other page flows around the objects from the other Master, that are however not there.

Please see the images, it's quite clear:

image.png.1d904ce856b7e1526ab778c38ac7887c.png

(see the red circle around the spot in the lower third of the right side)

This is the Master applied on the left side (on previous picture, it's a bit modified, that's why the right and left sides don't match):
image.png.631ee34bde149fc95fcf8443eeb69942.png

Its quite strange, probably a bug. In the attachment, I will add the (shortened) APu file, as soon as I get home.

It shows in both V1 and V2, and no matter, whether the Windows or Mac version. I haven't really checked that on iPad, as the hyphenation there is a mess...

Thanks for any suggestion and help. I mean, it's not the end of the world, but I would still prefer to not have such artifacts...

Thanks!

Lectionarium Cisterciense, Pars Hiemalis (excerptum).afpub

Hi, I might be missing something but it doesn't seem like the sample you uploaded matches the screenshot - I don't see the page with In Festo S. Agnetis in this file. Also no red circle with text wrap. Did you upload the wrong pages or am I just being dense?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

10 hours ago, MikeTO said:

the sample you uploaded matches the screenshot

Hi, no, it does not, but it shows every time there are mixed Master Pages, like for example spread 16-17, 14-15, and slightly also on 12-13, but the composition is different, so it goes mostly to the spaces.

No, there is no red circle 🙂 I didn't add it, but I could, of course.  If you look at Master B, you will see exactly the spots, where it mirrors.

Oh, now I see what you mean. The text wrap was set to such a tiny amount that I didn't know what I was looking for. If you want, you could edit your original post and delete your attachment to prevent others from copying it - I have no idea if the graphics are yours or public domain. I've created a simpler test document for Serif and others to review. I think this issue has been reported before so Serif likely knows about it, but if not here it is again.

text wrap.afpub

When you apply a facing-pages master to just the left or right side of a spread the layers for the other side of the master spread are also applied. You can see this in the Layers panel for this test document.

Master A has two squares with wrapping in the top half while Master B has two squares in the bottom half. When applied to separate sides of this spread, both sets of squares are on the spread. Although the ones that aren't applicable are hidden, their wrap settings are still applied.

The workaround is to create single-sided versions of your left and right masters for use when mixing two different masters on the same spread. Publisher allows you to create both single sided and facing pages masters in the same document.

Cheers

1062871300_Screenshot2022-12-01at10_35_45AM.thumb.png.b59c58a86f21571bd293192e644b3ac6.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

21 hours ago, MikeTO said:

The workaround is to create single-sided versions of your left and right masters for use when mixing two different masters on the same spread. Publisher allows you to create both single sided and facing pages masters in the same document.

Thanks a lot, that could actually be a solution. I'd prefer not to have to do 4 other Master Pages, but it seems I have no other choice... 

On 12/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, NathanC said:

Hi @Fantomas.CZ @MikeTO,

Many thanks for providing detail on this issue, I've been able to replicate the problem using Mike's file and have now reported it to the developers for further investigation/resolution.

Thank you!

This should be quite an easy fix - if you apply a spread Master Page on a single page, the program should copy only elements from the appropriate right or left page from the Master. Now it copies everything, although it hides the theoretically unused page.