You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgrade to Affinity Photo 2: Where did my custom signature brush go?

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob, and it has been awhile since I used AP.

I created a signature brush in AP1...and when I needed to "sign" a PDF document, I could open it up and use the brush to sign it.

I used to always be able to find that brush.

I've upgraded to AP2...and for the life of me I don't see my old sig. brush.  Can someone help me know where to look in AP2?  I've looked under the basic brushes where I thought I had put them....not there.

Thank you in advance,

C

I think you should have created your own category in Brushes, rather than using one of the standard categories. My guess is that when migrating content from V1 to V2 the migration prices skipped that category as it was built-in. 

That's only a guess, though.

In any case, if you still have V1 installed copy or move your brush to a new category, and Export it as a .afbrushes file using the hamburger menu on the Brushes panel. Then import it into V2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think you should have created your own category in Brushes, rather than using one of the standard categories. My guess is that when migrating content from V1 to V2 the migration prices skipped that category as it was built-in. 

That's only a guess, though.

In any case, if you still have V1 installed copy or move your brush to a new category, and Export it as a .afbrushes file using the hamburger menu on the Brushes panel. Then import it into V2.

Well, I believe the install of AP2 installed over the old AP1......so, not sure...

Would the install have overwritten brushes there..custom ones?

That doesn't sound right.

Not sure where to look...this is on OSX....anyone know where AP1 might have kept my brush?

I"m pretty sure I didn't create a special category for them, just kept it in the default brushes....

Oops...update, I stand corrected.

It appears that Affinity installed all #2 versions in parallel to the #1 versions...that surprises me, not sure why you'd want the old version?

Anyway...in this case it might give me hope that the old signature brush is there.

Anyone know where in AP1 it kept the default brushes?

Thank you in advance,

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.29.07 AM.png

16 minutes ago, cayenne said:

Anyone know where in AP1 it kept the default brushes?

You will find them in your Brushes panel in the V1 app where you installed the brush. You can

1. Create a new category using the hamburger menu (3 lines) for the Brushes panel, then
  2. You can select the brush and you can move it or copy it to that category by right-clicking on it. 
  3. Then you can export that category, using the hamburger menu, and import it into V2.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You will find them in your Brushes panel in the V1 app where you installed the brush. You can

1. Create a new category using the hamburger menu (3 lines) for the Brushes panel, then
  2. You can select the brush and you can move it or copy it to that category by right-clicking on it. 
  3. Then you can export that category, using the hamburger menu, and import it into V2.

Do you know offhand where on the file system (OSX) that AP keeps its brush files by default?

Thank you in advance!!

8 minutes ago, cayenne said:

Do you know offhand where on the file system (OSX) that AP keeps its brush files by default?

That won't help you, as far as I know.

There is one internal file that holds all your brushes in Photo. You do not want to (and it is not safe to) try to move it. You need to use the approach I mentioned, with V1 installed.

-- Walt
PC: